Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

I don't usually visit the chaos forum as I am a Guard player, however I was looking at the chaos codex today and noticed that one could field up to 60 raptors maximum, that is a lot of bloody raptors.

Say in a 1500pt game, have the basic Chaos Lord, and the two necessary troop choices as simple chaos marine's, Then the rest just raptors.

How do you think It'd fair, maybe equip them with some meltaguns and/or powerfists, not too sure on the point costs and limits, but I'd like to know the thoughts on such an army.

Probably have a bit of a problem with tanks, but infrantry shan't be too much a drama, should be 2 turns maximum and they are already in combat, 60! raptors, give them chaos glory to make sure they don't go running and just smash the opponent with dinosaurs.

Any critiques?

·
Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!!
913 Posts
With the cheapest HQ and troop slots filled, you could have 57 raptors. 3 squads of 19 with Icon of Chaos Glory and 2 melta guns.

That army would be very cool looking on the table!

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
I'm not liking the idea so much. Raptors are no better than ordinary CSMs now and really aren't that powerful an assault troop, pointswise. They have no significant shooting and only 3 power weapons in 60 models. Ordnance will butcher them and Orks, Tyranids, Eldar, and Terminators will have a field day in CC. Remember that we don't have ATSKNF--lose combat once when you're under 10 models and it's over. Harsh. IoCG will help prevent this but then deprives you of the other, most aggressive marks that would make the tactic somewhat viable. In any event, it's a one-trick pony: rush into CC and count on your MEQ statline to get the job done.

You'd be better off with six 10-man CSM squads in Rhinos. Just as good at CC, almost as fast, cheaper and with an option for ranged firepower.

Why the "Dinotopia"?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why the "Dinotopia"?
Because they're raptors man, come on it is a dinosaur name, yeh maybe they aren't actually dinosaurs, but come on, bit of a laugh...........

I'm not liking the idea so much. Raptors are no better than ordinary CSMs now and really aren't that powerful an assault troop, pointswise. They have no significant shooting and only 3 power weapons in 60 models. Ordnance will butcher them and Orks, Tyranids, Eldar, and Terminators will have a field day in CC. Remember that we don't have ATSKNF--lose combat once when you're under 10 models and it's over. Harsh. IoCG will help prevent this but then deprives you of the other, most aggressive marks that would make the tactic somewhat viable. In any event, it's a one-trick pony: rush into CC and count on your MEQ statline to get the job done.

You'd be better off with six 10-man CSM squads in Rhinos. Just as good at CC, almost as fast, cheaper and with an option for ranged firepower
Yeh I hear you about CC, your probably right, CSM's in rhino's probably more effective, but I guess it was just mainly for the coolness factor......also the prospect of buying 12 boxes of diecast raptors seems to me a expensive decision......AU$850 later......:?

Cheers

·
Has a monkey!
1,630 Posts
Raptors are cool and all, and I think you'd be well off with Icons of Slaanesh in the units of Raptors you use, but frankly, in a small game, I think one or two squads to supplement your Chaos Marines (hands down the best troops in the game in my opinion) is the way to go. Oh, and Terminators... 0:

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
I don't think it's quite as terrible of an idea as most people seem to be saying it is.

Something like this -

10 Raptors - 285
Champ w/ Lightning Claws, Meltabombs, 2 Meltaguns, Icon of Slaanesh

10 Raptors - 285

10 Raptors - 285

Could work well. Maybe switch out one set of meltas for plasmaguns or flamers.

Then, back them up with a few small squads of noise marines (say 2x6 w/ Sonic Blasters - 300 pts), a Lash Sorcerer (145 pts) and a havoc squad (8 w/ 4 Missile Launchers) - and you have a decent pure-infantry list with a good model count (51), lots of raptors, some good firepower and a Slaaneshi theme to boot!

That's 1,500 points.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.