Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this has been a thorn in our gaming side for a couple of weeks now. As far as i can see i'm following the rule book, but others seem to disagree.
It states in the rule book that troops disembarking from a vehicle are placed within 2" of the access points. the diagram in the rule book has a marine with the back of his base 2" from the rhino door, thus being within 2". However everyone else seems to think it should be "the base fully within 2 inches". My logic is within whatever inches means any part of the base, hence blast markers and blasts (such as an exploding tank) affect models that they touch. Am i wrong? any help?

·
UnderWater Ninja-Tiger ..
785 Posts
Your friends are incorrect. As you stated there is a diagram explaining exactly what is considered "within 2" of entry point"
Any part of the model's base has to be within the shaded area. If they are going to dispute the picture in the book, not sure what to tell you to do. They may all be house ruling it or something.

Its on page 67; BRB, for a precise page reference.

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
Ok, this has been a thorn in our gaming side for a couple of weeks now. As far as i can see i'm following the rule book, but others seem to disagree.
It states in the rule book that troops disembarking from a vehicle are placed within 2" of the access points. the diagram in the rule book has a marine with the back of his base 2" from the rhino door, thus being within 2". However everyone else seems to think it should be "the base fully within 2 inches". My logic is within whatever inches means any part of the base, hence blast markers and blasts (such as an exploding tank) affect models that they touch. Am i wrong? any help?
A picture is worth a thousand words is an old saying that proves true here.

Both the text and the graphics are the embodiment of the rules, otherwise why include them?

The term ‘within’ refers to any point on the model and nowhere is it stated a models base must be ’fully’ within range.

Disembarking is the same process - any point of the base must be within the shaded area to be legal, shooting with troops is the same – any point of the base becomes the guide, cohesion similarly.

Plus any other rule that uses range – they are all done from a point not an area.

In short, you are correct.

Cheers.

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
The fact that only the rear edge of a base needs to fall within the 2" circle can give you a huge advantage, particularly if disembarking Terminators (or models on 40mm bases).

If the vehicle did not move, many folks just measure 8" from the access point to deploy their disembarking unit. By doing this they will in fact *lose* maybe up to 3/4" of distance for the end position of the unit's models. If you disembark the unit to its maximum permitted distance first, then move them their normal Movement Phase 6", you will gain that extra bit of distance moved, perhaps seeing the front models at almost 9" from the vehicle. It's sneaky, but it could also mean the difference between a successful assault and a failed one.

E.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I always suggest people disembark first before moving. Get into the habit of it so there is never confusion on what you just did. AND yes... just like Eiglepulper says, you can sometimes sneak in a bit more distance for that assault.

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
As Eiglepulper mentioned, Termies and things with similar bases would be utterly screwed if they had to be entirely within that 2 inches.

40mm base, 50mm zone - precious little space there.

You'd be lucky to get 4 Termies out of a Land Raider in one go, and (IIRC) as per the rules, that would automatically kill half the squad just in the basic act of disembarking because they can't possibly deploy inside that 2" range!

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
The Emergency disembarkation is only available for use if all the access hatches are blocked by the enemy/impassable terrain. If you do use an ED, you're snookered anyway since you can't do anything for the rest of the turn (P.67 BRB)

E.

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
Emergency wha??

**Grabs rulebook**

Well, I guess that shows how often I use transports in any major way... I totally forgot that bit even existed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts