Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who uses them?
Their cost is low, they're clearly quite useful, but I rarely see them in any army list posted online.
What am I missing?

·
368 Posts
Well, the only benefit you get out of disruption pods is Obscured Target.. which [checking my references out of good habit- pg 69]... Can downgrade a penetrating hit to a merely glancing hit only 50% of the time.

Well, Tau have a better bit of 'wargear' that does that far better, and it doesnt cost them a thing: Skimmers Moving Fast... which does the same thing- dowgrade a penetrating hit to a glancing one- only it does it 100% of the time, no matter how close the shooter was. If skimmers continue to move over 6", then they NEVER get a penetrating hit.. and thats why everyone hates them so... ;)

I guess thats the common reasoning behind its lack of use. Id rather move all my skimmers 6.0001 inches a turn to get that full benefit, and the only time the disruption pod may come into play is if I get stunned and dont get to move next turn. Thats a pretty rare occurence for the 5 points you spend.

And a RailHead would want to stay mobile too, rather than attempt to rely on the disrution pod... see where it starts to look like a fluffy upgrade more than anything else?

I'm sure there are fundamentally different ways to play Tau where this ability may make more sense... but thats not my fundamental play style.. My skimmer Pilots are a 'drive fast - crash and burn' sort of bunch, and hunkering down or landing and weathering out constant fire under a disruption field just seems... odd to me.

Hopefully some other perspectives can voice their views, and may show instances where disruption pods can be seen as somewhat essential... I just cant see it, and would be interested in seeing another view, in any case.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well, the only benefit you get out of disruption pods is Obscured Target.. which [checking my references out of good habit- pg 69]... Can downgrade a penetrating hit to a merely glancing hit only 50% of the time.

Well, Tau have a better bit of 'wargear' that does that far better, and it doesnt cost them a thing: Skimmers Moving Fast... which does the same thing- dowgrade a penetrating hit to a glancing one- only it does it 100% of the time, no matter how close the shooter was. If skimmers continue to move over 6", then they NEVER get a penetrating hit.. and thats why everyone hates them so... ;)

I guess thats the common reasoning behind its lack of use. Id rather move all my skimmers 6.0001 inches a turn to get that full benefit, and the only time the disruption pod may come into play is if I get stunned and dont get to move next turn. Thats a pretty rare occurence for the 5 points you spend.

And a RailHead would want to stay mobile too, rather than attempt to rely on the disrution pod... see where it starts to look like a fluffy upgrade more than anything else?

I'm sure there are fundamentally different ways to play Tau where this ability may make more sense... but thats not my fundamental play style.. My skimmer Pilots are a 'drive fast - crash and burn' sort of bunch, and hunkering down or landing and weathering out constant fire under a disruption field just seems... odd to me.

Hopefully some other perspectives can voice their views, and may show instances where disruption pods can be seen as somewhat essential... I just cant see it, and would be interested in seeing another view, in any case.
What if you get hit first turn? Or what if your opponent stuns you? At a mere 5 Points each, it's well worth it.

I've found that my opponents will often fire at a vehicle that hasn't moved (first turn, stunned, whatever), because they know they can penetrate it. Having the ability to downgrade (virtually) all hits to glancing, for such a low cost, is a must-have.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reasons I like to take them are two-fold:
1) First turn protection. If your opponent goes first, he has the chance to get into range and penetrate your tank before it has had a chance to move. Although I try to deploy my tanks where they cannot be attack the first turn, i.e. behind cover/troops, it doesn't always workout, especially as your opponent might be gunning for the tank and places all his fast moving tank killers after you finish placing your heavies.

2) Crew stunned result.
50% chance on a penetrating from first round hit(before you've had your turn),
19.5% chance on any other hits after moving 6"(assuming you have the decoy launchers)

And then you're easy prey for a next round kill.

Am I wrong? I seem to get stunned a lot. Just my bad luck?

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
I penned this a while back for another Tau forum. Perhaps it may be of some value here.

"Ah, the oft-ignored Disruption Pod. Only costs a few points, but alas is often neglected and left languishing in the armoury. At least that is what seems to be a common occurrence with this most useful of upgrades.

The thing is, you see, this upgrade can save your bacon, cause much annoyance to your enemies, give you some tactical/strategic options and generally be an all-round Good Egg.

How so, did I hear you ask? Well now, I'm glad you did!

"Save Your Bacon" a.k.a. "Thank goodness I took that upgrade"

The primary reason for the existence of Disruption Pods is to protect the vehicle from in-coming fire in any turn of the game. This is especially true in Turn One. Skimmers only benefit from the Skimmer Moving Fast rule if they actually move more than a certain distance and obviously they cannot do this if it is not their turn! So this means that if you do not get to go first in Turn One your costly Hammerhead or ‘heads can be penetrated by any weapon of Strength 8 or more (assuming a frontal shot) if suitably-sized cover cannot been found on the table top. The Disruption Pod can give you the chance to reduce a Penetrating Hit to a Glancing Hit following the rules for Obscured Target (p.69 BGB).

Other situations in which the Disruption Pod can prove its worth are:

Suffering a ‘Stunned' result on any vehicle and being unable to move this turn. Again, as long as you are over the prescribed distance from the weapon firing at you, Disruption Pods will allow you to claim Obscured Target benefits.

Regarding Stunned dedicated Transport Vehicles: any penetrating hit will force embarked troops to disembark even if the vehicle is not destroyed. To be able to have a 50% chance of reducing this to a Glancing Hit will help to retain your Fire Warrior team in safety in the Devilfish rather than being placed at the opponent's mercy on the table top. (Point submitted by Mephet'ran).

Playing on ‘Planet Billiard Ball' where cover is virtually non-existent. Again, you become an Obscured Target if you fulfil the requirements of the rule.

In each of these cases, having your vehicle upgraded with Disruption Pods will definitely help to "Save Your Bacon".

"GRRR!!!! [bleep bleep] Disruption Pods!"

Ok, so they are an asset for Turn One survival and for certain situations throughout the game. What else are they good for? Well, may I suggest a couple of options of tactical or strategic use of a vehicle equipped with Disruption Pods.

1. Used in conjunction with Landing Gear: this is a tactic which is perhaps suicidal but is also meritorious in that you will eliminate the firepower of your opponent's heavy weapons unit for a couple of turns, thus protecting your other units, or even a specific unit. It works thus:

Knowing that you can be fairly sure of surviving a fusillade of shots you zoom towards the enemy Heavy Squad and then in the following turn land in front of them at a distance of >12", thus presenting them with a problem. They can no longer draw LOS to that juicy target over which they were salivating as it now lies directly behind your Size Three vehicle. So they have three choices:

A. attempt to destroy the vehicle and ignore that juicy target they had intended to kill until this inconsiderate Tau Skimmer came and plonked itself in front of them; or

B. they waste a turn of shooting and move, which is highly unlikely; or

C. they take a Morale check to target something other than the vehicle but then they in turn will be blasted to bits when it gets to shoot next turn.

It is therefore most likely that they will choose Option A and try to obliterate the vehicle. However, even though you no longer count as a Skimmer since you have landed, the Disruption Pods will still qualify you as an Obscured Target because of the distance between you and the Heavy Squad. Yet again the Disruption Pods can "Save Your Bacon".

Even if they don't and you lose the vehicle, the Heavy Squad now have a Size Three wreck sitting in front of them and they will HAVE to move to regain LOS. Either way, the rest of your army does not get shot at for at least two turns as the Heavy Squad will now have to move in order to regain a firing line.

(Note though that this kamikaze-style tactic will only be probably viable from around Turn Three as the previous turns will be spent actually manoeuvring into position in order to execute it.)

2. They allow you to move less than 6" and still be able to benefit from a Glancing Hit, although this of course is dependent on you rolling the correct numbers on that little cuboid.

Why would you not want to move more than 6"? Sometimes it may not be a good idea to do so. The Terrain may not suit you, in that moving too far might expose your weaker armour to the enemy. You might place yourself in danger of assault, or your enemy has positioned his units so well that no matter what you try, you will be caught out if you go too far. Or something like that. To know that you have at least a 50% chance of reducing Penetrating to Glancing is reassuring.

3. Used in conjunction with Flechette Dischargers against certain armies like World Eaters or Space Wolves for example, who have a "Must chase after/assault/run towards the closest enemy unit" squad or rule, the vehicle can be positioned close to specific squads - again bearing in mind the 12"+ requirement - and shrug off (hopefully again) any shooting before the enemy units who must assault the closest unit attack the Tau vehicle and get ripped up with Flechettes.

And finally:

The Big Plus that these upgrades have over Smoke Launchers is:

Disruption Pods are "always on" and cannot be destroyed. Only your own inability to judge >12" accurately will prevent them from working! And for their points, they can protect a vehicle which costs 40 times as much!

Good return on investment."

E.

Reactions: Katie Drake

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
Why start with your hammerheads in LOS to the enemy? If you do that, then please take the disruption pods, and enjoy the games you play. But I think it is both suggestions are horrible ideas.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why didn't I THINK of that!!! Brilliant!!!

Wait... I deploy my hammerhead first as they are heavy choice.... Dark Angel guy deploys his fast attack 12" in afterward, scouts 12", goes first, moves 12" and then shoots 24".... Nuts

Depending on the terrain, the scenario and your opponent, deploying all your skimmers behind cover so that it's IMPOSSIBLE for the enemy to get LOS and range in the first turn isn't always possible. In fact, if you're fighting a mobile armour, it's pretty darn improbable.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
With 4th Ed terrain rules I have never had a problem hiding two hammerheads.

The problems start when you want to hide 2 hammerheads, 3 devil fish, several suits and some pirahna.

Since the new codex I have not bothered with Disruption pods and it hasn't really been an issue. Most times my opponents tend to roll a 5-6 on the glancing table and I am dead anyway.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most times my opponents tend to roll a 5-6 on the glancing table and I am dead anyway.
Ain't that the truth. Everytime I've successfully downgraded via the DP, I get nuked with a good roll. Makes the whole thing seem kinda pointless, but luck won't always be on their side.

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
Why didn't I THINK of that!!! Brilliant!!!

Wait... I deploy my hammerhead first as they are heavy choice.... Dark Angel guy deploys his fast attack 12" in afterward, scouts 12", goes first, moves 12" and then shoots 24".... Nuts

Depending on the terrain, the scenario and your opponent, deploying all your skimmers behind cover so that it's IMPOSSIBLE for the enemy to get LOS and range in the first turn isn't always possible. In fact, if you're fighting a mobile armour, it's pretty darn improbable.
Thanks for the patronizing post. Hopefully, you aren't deploying your hammerhead
A. All the way forward.
B. Unprotected.
C. In a position to get nuked by scouting attack bikes.

If you follow those rules, the above situation will disappear.

Even though your example is wrong, I was a little harsh with my earlier post. I do see some times when a Disruption Pod could come in handy. Apocalypse comes to mind.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No apology necessary, patronizing post begets patronizing post, I consider the matter closed. Oh wait, you didn't apologize. We are of one mind 8Y.

My example is not wrong, it happened to me in my last game.
Cover was sparse on my table edge, I deployed my tank first, as a heavy choice, behind area terrain approx 8" long parallel to my edge and 9" from the edge. Afterward he deployed his attack bike 12" into his deployment zone, and about 9" to the left side of the board of my precious terrain piece. I followed by deploying a FW squad to cover his possible angle of attack. We rolled to see who started, I lost. He scouted his bike 12" in. Then he moved his bike another 12". This put him within 11" of my Railhead. He fired his melta, passed the leadership, nuked my tank.
In hindsight, we looked over other possible deployment positions, and decided that the piece I used was the most suitable, and any other deployment position would still have been in range of a scouting bike because he deployed his scouting bike with the express purpose of being able to reach the already deployed tank.

Reactions: Katie Drake

·
Registered
744 Posts
Also, the terrain is supposed to be a mix of size 1, 2 and 3. Unless you're playing Cityfight with all large buildings, there may only be 2 pieces of size 3 terrain on the board, and your opponent is likely going to get to place one of those on his side, meaning you may only have a single small piece of terrain to hide all of the Hammerheads and Devilfish behind. I believe that area terrain only obscures a vehicle if it actually does, and much area terrain on many tables I've played on is nothing than a mat or marker that is designated as size x, and so will not give obscurement.

And all that is assuming that the players even place the terrain... some groups do it randomly.

If you're playing by the suggestions in the BGB, then you are pretty unlikely to be able to fully hide more than 1 or 2 vehicles on the first turn.

So I believe that if the few points that are needed can be spared, Disruption Pods are at least a necessity on the Devilfish if not the Hammerheads also.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my normal 1750 point list, I've got 2 Devilfish and 2 Hammerheads. Regardless of whether the terrain is randomly placed by taking turns or placed in predetermined position by the shop, I virtually never have trouble getting at least 3 out of 4 of those units decently behind cover. Nonetheless I always stick a Disruption Pod on Hammerheads and thus far they have always made themselves worth it. I don't put them on Devilfish simply because my Devilfish generally are pretty close to enemy troops; a Disruption Pod is kinda pointless when most of what you attack can move and be within 12" to fire. Plus, Hammerheads generally get most of the attention from anti-armor weapons so they're more likely to be shot at first turn or stunned which is when the Disruption Pod is most useful.

As far as enemies rolling 5-6's all the time, that's just statistics. When I use Decoy Launchers, I virtually always end up either reducing an immobilized hit to stunned/shaken or just simply getting a destroyed result. The last game I played? 2 immobilized hits on two different vehicles which then both rerolled to immobilized. Two vehicles down. Oh well, it happens.

Most importantly, try to avoid looking at some component of an army as "cursed". Upgrades aren't cursed, skimmers aren't cursed, dice aren't cursed, and so on. Just because you think a bad result happens unusually often doesn't mean it does. It's a human tendency to remember the best or worst things that happen and 40k is no difference. Disruption Pods are purely defensive, so the only time we really remember them is when they fail and fail badly. Just because you feel your skimmers are always getting downed by unlucky bad rolls doesn't mean they are; you're probably just remembering it better than the good stuff.

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
Disruption pods were much better in the last edition.
Now, not so much.
Hey, if you know your opponent has a bike squad, it will probably have a melta-gun. Therefore, deploy your tank behind some difficult area terrain, so he has to enter it to shoot, or behind an impassible terrain piece, like a building, extending the area he has to go around. Or, use your own infiltrators to divert of intercept his bikers. There are ways of effectively countering his bikes without buying the extra disruption pod. Kroot are a good example.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Now, not so much.
Hey, if you know your opponent has a bike squad, it will probably have a melta-gun. Therefore, deploy your tank behind some difficult area terrain, so he has to enter it to shoot, or behind an impassible terrain piece, like a building, extending the area he has to go around. Or, use your own infiltrators to divert of intercept his bikers. There are ways of effectively countering his bikes without buying the extra disruption pod. Kroot are a good example.
Exactly, unless your opponent is hiding his models in a box prior to deployment, then you should be scrutinising his models and if you see an attack bike or bike squadron with Melta's etc, you should be fully expecting these to be attacking the juiciest target in your army (usually Hammerheads or HQ). With this in mind you should be taking measures to prevent this happening.
I usually use a unit of Kroot (which can infiltrate handily enough, after the opponent deploys his bikes), even if you have not got Kroot it is easy enough to use a les valuable unit to cut of the approaches to your HH.
It is amazing how many times a unit of cheap Kroot, a Gun Drone squadron or a Fire Warrior unit will dissuade a unit from getting close to a Hammerhead.

I have never once used DP's (old and new codex) and I have never missed them, taking your time and thinking about deployment (not just cover) is a much more valuable tactic than just relying on a bit of unreliable equipment. Even with Decoys I never rely on them, I will make every effort to stay out of range of the opponents forces and only rely on them if I make a mistake or the opponent out maneuvers me. They are a much more valuable back up than the DP, but again they are only a back up to good tactical use of the Hammerhead or Devilfish (thought the Devilfish needs them much more because they are usually closer to the opponents forces because of their transport role)..

Hiding a Hammerhead and a Skyray has never really posed to much of a problem and on 6X4 tables I tend to use the benefit of the range of the railgun to keep the HH safe, rather than cover (though obviously I will use cover if available as well). On a 6X4 table it is easy enough to keep a good amount of distance between the HH and the enemy forces.

When you consider that most vehicles will have Decoys as standard, plus the Hammerheads will usually have Multi's then taking DP's on top on just 4 vehicles can make the vehicles costly. 20 points may not sound a lot, but I for one am usually in the 1998 or 1497 pt zone with my lists and this is after refining the lists. So just where do you find 20pts for those DP's (for a very questionable benefit), which unit do you compromise?.

Nah I usually agree with Eigle, but in this matter I have to disagree, if you play without DP it forces you to think more about the way you deploy, it makes you a better player and suicide Devilfish is not something I intend to be using anytime soon.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Now, not so much.
He mentioned that terrain was sparse, and that he had even looked over all his choices, so I doubt there was much more he could have done.
Also, are you suggesting that he buy a 70 pt (minimum) unit of Kroot (not sure how they would even help), rather than buying a 5 pt disruption pod?

·
368 Posts
I think that disruption pods will have it day, and pretty soon at that- once the auto glancing fast moving skimmer benefit goes away, and the tweak to the damage chart means a glance will never be able to destroy the vehicle with a lucky roll anymore (an ap1 glance still might do that though). At that point the 50% chance of a Pen becoming a glance starts to become very important, now that the [somewhat broken] rule of 100% auto glance will not be a crutch to lean on anymore.

All in all, it will be a completely new day when 5th edition comes out, and I'm a bit excited to explore the new possibilites and implications. The Disruption Pod is one of those interesting implications.

A lot of Tau staple rules benefit 'strategies' are going to go right out the window, such as IC status and Skimmer auto glance, And I believe that Tau armies will have to do more adjusting than most others in how they play under the new system.

So dont deride the Disruption Pod overmuch... in a few months, it will be all you have to rely on with regards to protection, and may become as essential as decoy launchers.

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
I think that disruption pods will have it day, and pretty soon at that- once the auto glancing fast moving skimmer benefit goes away, and the tweak to the damage chart means a glance will never be able to destroy the vehicle with a lucky roll anymore (an ap1 glance still might do that though). At that point the 50% chance of a Pen becoming a glance starts to become very important, now that the [somewhat broken] rule of 100% auto glance will not be a crutch to lean on anymore.

All in all, it will be a completely new day when 5th edition comes out, and I'm a bit excited to explore the new possibilites and implications. The Disruption Pod is one of those interesting implications.

A lot of Tau staple rules benefit 'strategies' are going to go right out the window, such as IC status and Skimmer auto glance, And I believe that Tau armies will have to do more adjusting than most others in how they play under the new system.

So dont deride the Disruption Pod overmuch... in a few months, it will be all you have to rely on with regards to protection, and may become as essential as decoy launchers.
True enough they will be pretty useful in the 5th edition (if given what is rumored is true). I do not think the auto glance is a broken rule as such, as damage is still done and it is easy to lose a vehicle from a simple immobalised result, luckily we as Tau players have the Decoys to at least offer a chance of survival. I find the 6 to hit in assault more annoyng.

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
The 6 to hit is annoying, but it makes sense. Have you ever tried to hit a speeding car?
Now try that again, except with the speeding car shooting flames, shooting at you, and moving left, right, up, and down, as well as spinning. Doesn't sound so easy anymore?

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
The 6 to hit is annoying, but it makes sense. Have you ever tried to hit a speeding car?
Now try that again, except with the speeding car shooting flames, shooting at you, and moving left, right, up, and down, as well as spinning. Doesn't sound so easy anymore?
Yeah but that applies just as much to non skimmers, they would be just as hard to hit if they were moving fast. Ok they may not move up and down but try hitting a tank moving past you at 30Mph with guns blazing, or spinning on the spot with tank tracks grinding away.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.