1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ^_^

Everytime anyone mentions custom dice, we always find the same barrier, ©

That is over, my friends.

From now on, anyone will be able to put anything on a die, and because you will be doing it yourselves, even GW will have to deal with it. (sunglasses on)

You will need a Laser printer, INKJET photo paper (paper backed, not the plastic one) and a clothes iron. (and of course, blank dice)

You will be able to achieve, easily, results like this:

All dice are 16mm in size.

The pipboy was a resized image, whereas the firefly ship was vectorized to achieve best linear results.

Tutorial: Open Source Dice Making

Of course, they are not indestructible as engraved dice are, but they are fairly resistant to natural hand rubbing. Even a nail brush will not affect them much :)
I hope that from now on, you will not depend on anyone to have those cool dice you deserve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just did a small video showing how easy and fast is to do a printed die.

[video=youtube;hi3YwXQBYqg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi3YwXQBYqg[/video]

The machine I'm using is nothing more than a form of clothes iron, I made it to prevent back and wrist injuries due to repeated bad movements.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as the cost is involved, I've not seen any manufacturer that does less than 20/25 dice. The best price for that is about 0,75$ per face, so, for a full custom die, 4,5$x20=90$...

If you have to purchase the sandpaper, inkjet paper and dice, you might be seeing about $20/30 (including shippings) for the same amount of dice. You can add $9 for a thermoconductive silicone pad to make it even easier...

Of course, printed dice will fade over time, whereas lasered dice will not, on the other hand, lasered dice are just a single color over the color die, with the printing technique, you can add grayscale to it.
You'll also be not dependant on manufacturer fabrication times and such...wich is quite handy... ^_^

For a quick present or low usage die, this might be a nice trick to know.

·
2,434 Posts
What i meant main about the costs is the costs of the equipment its self as most people wont have them. Therefore for a hand full of dice be much cheaper to buy custom from a website.

Sorry to be so negative its a great guide, but i think theres a big limitation because of the equipment needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mmm....equipment?...

A few years ago, owning, or knowing someone who own, a laser printer, indeed might have been a strange thing...nowadays having a b/w laser printer is quite common (even in my own third world country :p ) If you push me...you could even go to a printer service...

As for the other basic piece of equipment needed...it's a clothes iron! Sorry for the exclamation...I myself must admit that I didn't own one and had to resort to one of my old mother's assortment. Before building the new machine, I had been working with an iron for a looong time and changed the machine just because I wanted to save some power (new machine is 300W, whereas the old iron was 700W, mostly unused...) and that my back and wrist where starting to hurt...if not, I would have continued to use the old iron...

But okay, I'll concede you that IF you don't own a laser printer (and have no friends who own one), and you don't iron your clothes (I don't iron mine...ever...well, just my single black shirt for weddings, really, I'm not kidding ^_^ ) then, yes, buying the laser printer and the iron and all the supplies will be expensiver...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh, that explains it ^_^

I'll change my reply too, with:

"Thanks!"

By the way, that was not meant as a tutorial, in the sense that it is not fully explained (altough reading the text tutorial and coupling it with the video, is quite clear). I plan on doing a full fledged tutorial with explanations, links and sources, that should be ready next week ^_^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts