Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do not and i repeat do not use regular use spraypaint on polystirene cause it melts really bad, but i found that if you are planning on making a black field and want to make a strange rock formation get a big hunk of polystirene and use PVA to glue it on the field then spray paint it black and whatch it melt (hehehe). it looks really cool i did it my self.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The fact is that any glue, spray or paint containing solvents will melt polystyrene.
An alternative is to cover the entire piece with filler before you do the spraying.
But as you say the melting effect can create some really neat pieces of terrain...

·
Registered
346 Posts
oh yeah....I found that one out the hard way

another tip don't put your terrain to close to a heat lamp to get it to dry faster.

·
Registered
593 Posts
To stop the polystyrene melting, you could always give the piece a thick coat or two of PVA glue. I use that to stop the any exposed foam core center melting.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have heard of many neat affects with spray paints on polystyrene but haven't tried it myself yet. I mostly use foams for hills and board bases, not buildings.
I also use real rocks from my driveway if I can. As it is made of loose stones.
I'll try the slag rock just to see how it comes out...

WAAAGH!

·
Registered
126 Posts
To stop the polystyrene melting, you could always give the piece a thick coat or two of PVA glue. I use that to stop the any exposed foam core center melting.
I concur. Remember this tip also when working with foamcore (art board with two sheets of thick paper surrounding a foam center). I use matte spray as a sealant for just about all my terrain and the stuff will eat right through exposed foam/polystyrene. Make sure to use PVA glue to seal the surfaces, kids!

·
Registered
454 Posts
hmm i cant say ive ever done any of those, ohh well guess im not as stupid as i thinkk i am.

·
Registered
346 Posts
A big gooey mess....

cool idea for " slag " hill

make a three tiered hill so that all three pieces of foam meet up and form one big soild wall around one part of the piece. paint the rest so that it won't be affected by spray propellant, paint it with spray, fill in exposed holes in foam with ink wash, drybrush, flock

it's just that easy. :blink:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Coulden't the melting effect be used to make like great impressions of tyranid bio titans having squirted some acid thing on a polytyrene wall?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Dude that's sick ........ Tyranid Titan "squirting".......... (Runs to the trash and looses his lucnh)
That comment just gave me the most revolting mental image...

Squirting....
OH MY GOD!!!!!!! <:>

THINK LOGICAL!!!!!
I MEAN SQUIRT AS IN SPIT AND DROOL AND BREATHE AND LICK!!!!
AND AS IN THE NON GROIN AFFECTED AREA!!!!!

JESUS CHRIST!
SICK PERVERTED PEOPLE!!!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
What did you think when I said squirt?
The problem is that you come up with ideas like that then must be perverted!
No offence of course...

What I meant was like some tyranid spitting acid on the wall...

·
Registered
857 Posts
Back to the melting stuff dicussion... I have a tip as well. Never try to get the paint off a Monolith by dipping it in hydrochloric acid. It tends to have an adverse effect on the quality and coporeality of the vehicle.

·
Registered
379 Posts
the spray paint effect works awesome for bomb/plasma cannon/earthshaker explosion marks in walls, bunkers, etc. I've found that if i give the terrain piece a light dusting of the paint, in about 4-5 coats, it doesnt melt very much.

P.S. Seeing a Tyranid splooge acid onto a guardsman would be hilarious :lol:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Moncs, nice slag hill idea...I'm gonna try it...WAAAGH!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.