Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a new Space Wolves army and will often face WHs. My friend and I have already started this argument, but do you think Sisters get to roll against the Rune Priest's Storm Caller ability? If you don't know the ability, it's a psychic power used to call up a storm around a unit. The storm counts as cover (5+ save) and allows the unit to strike first in CC. My argument is that the power isn't targeted at a Sister's unit and doesn't include them in its area of effect. My friend's argument is that it affects his units, which should count as area of effect. What do you think?

One compromise could be that they do not get a roll against the power until the Sisters are in CC, at which point the area of effect argument makes more sense.

And yes, I've read the threads about Shrouding and that sort of thing, but those aren't used as psychic powers, so there seems to be a difference.

Weaf

·
Cthulhu's Lovechild
1,746 Posts
He's right. Storm Caller doesn't target the Sororitas nor does it include them in it's AoE. So Shield of Faith doesn't come into play.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Harumpf! Harumpf! (Blazing Saddles anybody?)
"Somebody's goin' ta hafta go git a whole s**tload of dimes!"

And Harumpf! is right. You guys (uh, girls) get screwed on your supposed ability against psychic powers. Basically, you get a save against nasty attack psychic powers and that's it (not that that's bad, but with no minor powers left in the game, it ain't what it used to be). I'm tempted to cut him some slack on that one. Not TOO tempted, but I could just take a Wolf Lord, get an extra wound, and avoid the whole problem.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I used to think that Shield was a terribly written rule, until after I learned all of the psychic powers. Then a lightbulb went on: I realized that GW worded Shield that way because the GW game developers were both forward and reverse engineering when they wrote that rule.

They needed broad wording to accommodate the broad and strange array of circumstances evoked by existing psy powers, and for psy powers not yet written.

Once you know all the powers, it's pretty easy to see that there are two types:
A- Psy powers that affect the dice/stats of the caster
B- Psy powers that affect the dice/stats of the enemy

You can easily identify weather a power is type A or B.
I believe that the intention is for Shield to grant the save against type B.
Storm appears to be type A, so I'd rule this case, "Shield save not applicable to Storm".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.