Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of books do you all read. I know you fluffy people MUST read books. So lets hear it, or at least authors.

and for the record books about the 40k universe, novels rather, DON'T count as this IS the OFF TOPIC section, besides I've read a few and i have a hard time qclassifying them as litterary works.

Personally i LOVE sci-fi books:

Greg Bear, Darwin's Radio
Steven Baxter: Manifold [time, space, and origin respectvly], The Time ships, Titian (hard to read when your eating that last one... Also down right erry because it starts off with the Columbia crashing after re-entry, and i finished reading it less then a month before it happened)

Tom Clancey, every book in the Jack Ryan universe barring patriot games, clear and present danger, and the one where they explain why the guy from rainbow six can't use his real name.

Mikeal Criton: Jurrasic Park, Andromeda Strain, Prey

Herbert (and friends): Dune, messiah, god emporor, house atredies

I forget the authors,
Mother of Storms
Heavy Weather
Canticle for lebowitz

The Harry Potter series, oddly enough.

There are a couple other ones i really like but they don't come to mind off the top of my head.

Oh, DUH!!!
Lets see...
Starship troopers
friday
that one about Lazarus Long
the one where Lazarus Long makes a cameo appearance towards the end
The Job (as in bible Job) varient one
god, I'm sure there are others by Heinlen that i missed.

FYI, did you know that Heinlen's Widow actually fought to keep her husband's name OFF of the credits for the movie based on his work because they did such a crappy job adapting the book to screen?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am a huge Heinlein fan as is my wife. She tried to keep his name off of "The Puppet Masters". I own all of of his books several copies of most and am searching for more always. The one about Lazarus Long AKA; Ted Bronson, Woodrow Wilson Smith and 48 other names, is Time Enough for Love. He appears several times in To Sail Beyond the Sunset, a great book I am actually reading right now. He's also in Methusela's Children and several others.
Other great authors I really enjoy are of course Frank Herbert, Issac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Ben Bova, and Edgar Rice Burroughs just to name a few.
I also enjoy history James Clavel and the far east novels are wondeful reading. Clausewitz on War is a fascinating book, doesn't apply too much to 40K but a great piece for an 18th theroeticist. WWII, Korea, Viet-Nam, anything at all about these wars suck me in and make me lose sleep.

Any recomendations you can throw at me are greatly appreciated, my wife says I read too fast and need to learn to enjoy a book not devouer it.

Uncle Jesse

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
I've been a deticated Tolkien fan since my mum read The Hobbit for me when I was five. Since then I've read LotR and The Hobbit five times. I've also read the Guide to Tolkien and some of the Simarillion (it's a VERY tough book to read...)

Apart from Tolkien I've read some of Frank Herbert's Dune books and some of Crichton's books (Jurassic Park, The Lost World, The Sphere and Congo).

Then there is of course the Gotrek & Felix books and a few others from the Black Library.

Finally, I'm a Shakespeare fan (no kidding). I've read practically every play he's written.

·
Registered
959 Posts
well lets see i like:

Tolkien- lotr, hobbit and silmarillion(yes this is a hard read :blink: thats why i read it 6 times).
Herbert- all 3 preludes dune, dune messiah and children of dune.
Henry Treece- man with a sword, swords of the north and viking saga(very good book anybody interested in vikings or good books should give it a read).
Katherine Kerr- Deverry series(not bad, good read celtic based fantasy).
Forgotten Realms- Cormyr.
Anne Rice- Interview with a vampire, vampire lestat.
Black library- Gaunt's Ghosts, Space Wolves series.
Sheelagh Kelly- Jorvik.
Julian Rathbone- The Last English King, Kings of Albion (good books).

as you can see i like mostly fantasy(mainly viking related books) mostly because any sci fi compared to Dune or 40k just seems very lame.

·
Normal member Fox D:
3,469 Posts
Well 40k books as you all know.

But others...

Any of the James Bond books

Tom Clancy. The Jack Ryan novels are a great read, though I have still yet to read "Red Rabbit" (I think thats the title o.o )
I've yet to read any of the Net Force stuff.

I've also read some of Dale Browns stuff. "Tin Man" but his work really hasn't captured my mind as well as the other stuff I read.

·
1,019 Posts
Oh yes i'm a great fan of books where the author has some imagination
(I HATE books with troubled teens "oh i wonder if she likes me, KEWL DUDE...I HATE THEM!!!)

I've loved all the 40K books i've read so far.
Here are some of the authors and books (all mixed up) that i enjoy besides Warhammer:

Tolkien, The hobbit, Lotr (of course)

Ann Rice, basically all the vampire books and movies.
Michael Crichton, I recommend Timeline, read it, READ IT NOW!!

A series of books by Don Pendleton. The main character is called Mack Bolan, its one of the most violent series i've read.

Alot of stories that are from Icelands history. Its all about Vikings, honour, battle axes and blood. The main characters would kill you if you looked at them the wrong way and the drank, pillaged and raped the population of surrounding towns, countries and continents. (Its funny, they are considered heroes and nobody seems to care that they were just psycho vikings :lol: )

Harry potter

And a whole heap of single book authors and writers that dont make the list because im lazy. Comics and all included.

·
Registered
664 Posts
margeret weis and tracy hickman, they wrote a lot of dragonlance

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Of course the 40K novels, but I have to admit I don't read a lot anymore. I used ot read a lot of thrillers and horrors (especially the latter), I think most of the last books I read voluntarily were all Stephen King. I also like the book '48 by Herbert (I think).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I read anything I can get my hands on... I mostly love to read Sci-fi.

Tolkien: Lotr, Hobbit, Simarlion (sp? and yah that's one tought book)
Anne Rice: Interview with..., Vampire Lestat, Queen of the Damned, The Violin etc...
Anne McCaffrey; Chronicles of Pern, ~20 book series
Pieres Anthony: the whole Xanth series
Terry Brooks, George RR Martin, L.E Modesitt Jr., Douglas Adams, Arthur C. Clarke, and more.

I also have a healthy collection of B.C, Calvin and Hobbes, Garfield...

·
1,019 Posts
Oh man if you liked Queen of the damned you should love Interview with a Vampire. Its great!!

I also dont read a whole lot except Warhammer related stuff anymore, WD and other books occupy all my reading time ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree, you'll like Interview, it was very well done. I liked the actor who was play Luis, he really fit the part.

You won't regret renting it...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I started working at a book store so now i notice things that get put infront of me everyday.

I completely forgot about John barnes, to many sci-fi authorsstart with B (barnes, baxter, bear, bova, etc...)
The timeline wars are a fun read.

I noticed the otherday that greg bear has a sequel to darwin's radion, "Darwin's Children"

For sci-fi lovers, there is a NON FICTION book by Michio Kaku: HYPERSPACE
If you love scifi YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!!

Basically it explains for you quite in depth about the latest Big bang theories, has an intro to superstring theory, makes alto of references to classic short stories about, damn well anything and everything. There is a self consistent time loop where a man is his won ancestor and desendant and mother and father, a bit of a strech I'll admit.

Footfall, by niven/pournell??
ah, ring world, integral trees, the one after integral trees.

Did i forget orson scott card? Mock Ender's game if you must, but its a class act.

you know, there really are so damn many that i can't keep track of them all!

For suggestions on Must reads, as far as scifi goes, here are my picks of all time:

Darwin's Radio, by greg bear (it won either a hugo or a nebula i think)- it will change your preception of scale and emergent organization!!!

HYPERSPACE, I'm sorry but you just really have to read this one.

Manifold TIME, baxter, is a good one if your forign to thinking on large time scales

DUNE really is a masterwork, the sequels and preceules especially the ones put out after the original author of dune dies (there are more then one herbert...) just don't cut it. i mean they aren't bad, but i can only stomach so much messianic references.

If you haven't read Starship troopers by heinlen, and your reading this post, and you play 40k, and you have EVER played space marines, YOU SHOULD BE SHOT ON SIGHT! So go read it, some at GW stores have gone so far as to say it was the inspiration for tyranids and space marines.

EDIT:
DAmn it! there are just to many F***ING awesome books out there

Neal Stephenson: cryptonomicon, the diamond age, the one where the moffia runs the pizza industry and delivery boys are shot if they fail to deliver their orders under a certain amount of time. Also the one with that witty description of the "REASON" gun (i love that one!)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ill read just about anything. I have studied and read many old english texts like beowulf and the English and American Romantic area of poetry. I have read many 40K and fantasy novels. Ive read Sci fi books and compilations. I love to read but alas it conflicts with warhammer and 40K. Do I read or play or paint. Usually its one of the two latter but when I can Ill read. I also like Crichton and Interview w a Vampire chick but her witches series is really good too.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well some of the books I have read are The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Lord of the Rings, Siddhartha, Lord of the Flies, Merchant of Venice, 1984, Hiroshima, Inferno, Night, and many other I can't remember now... Hmmm my memory seems to be slipping... :blink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.