Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
P55 lower left it gives the definition of Guard infantry. It says that the Guard infanty incluedes the command squad and x x x x x normal infantry platoon squads. So if I buy sharpshooters for a troop org slot how much do I pay? The example troop slot would be a command squad and 2 infantry squads. I read the definintion and it seems I only need to pay 10 points for the whole force org slot to get it? Thanks for all the help in advance!

·
Registered
668 Posts
You pay for every squad, not for every platoon.

So say you wanted to put sharpshooters on your command squad and two Anti-Tank support squads. Instead of paying just once, you'd pay individually for your command squad and each and every support squad, since each counts as a seperate unit, except in terms of selection, deployment and reserves. You wouldn't however, pay the cost on say, a stormtrooper squad or a squad of conscripts, since they aren't guard infantry and can't have doctrines.

It sucks because that would save points like gangbusters, but I asked the very same question back when I started using guard and that's the answer.

·
2,399 Posts
You pay for every squad, not for every platoon.

So say you wanted to put sharpshooters on your command squad and two Anti-Tank support squads. Instead of paying just once, you'd pay individually for your command squad and each and every support squad, since each counts as a seperate unit, except in terms of selection, deployment and reserves. You wouldn't however, pay the cost on say, a stormtrooper squad or a squad of conscripts, since they aren't guard infantry and can't have doctrines.

It sucks because that would save points like gangbusters, but I asked the very same question back when I started using guard and that's the answer.
For clarity -
1)you could choose to give sharpshooters to the anti tank squads, and not the command squad (squad not to be confused with platoon or force organisation slot).
2) Not on Stormtroopers - but that varies from doctrine to doctrine.
read doctrines in codex.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I know this isnt exactly what they asked but I had a similar question regarding paying for doctrines for Conscripts. Do you pay for every 10 conscripts or for the whole platoon regardless of the size?

Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
paying points on doctrines applies to units unless otherwise stated such as carpace armour which must be for the whole army.

To clarify sharpshooters, that doctrine can only be use on BS3 models. That would take out the SO, HSO, comissars, conscripts, harden vets, stormies, and anythng that does not have a BS of 3.

So as for buying doctrines for conscripts that applies to the unit then it doesn't matter if it is 10 strong or 30 strong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
paying points on doctrines applies to units unless otherwise stated such as carpace armour which must be for the whole army.
Somewhat confusing in wording, so to clarify this: Carapace Armour doctrine is not something you buy for the listed points and then it applies to your whole army. It still costs the listed points PER unit, except that if you give it to ONE unit, you MUST give it to ALL qualifying (guard infantry) units.

Sorry, felt the need to clarify as what you said seemed to imply that all you had to do was pay for Carapace Armour once and it'd affect every unit in your army.

·
2,399 Posts

To clarify sharpshooters, that doctrine can only be use on BS3 models. That would take out the SO, HSO, comissars, conscripts, harden vets, stormies, and anythng that does not have a BS of 3.

So as for buying doctrines for conscripts that applies to the unit then it doesn't matter if it is 10 strong or 30 strong.
For sharpshooters - on a unit containing a BS 3 model - SO(Senior Officer) and HSO (Heroic Senior Officer) are in.

"buying" doctrines gives you the right to field conscripts - be it a ten man squad, or two squads (other limitations permitting)

·
Registered
353 Posts
The point is sharpshooters can only be applied to BS 3 models. Yeah you can buy it for the SO command squad but only those with BS 3 can use the sharpshooter doctrine. It doesn't apply to snipers and plasma however.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Somewhat confusing in wording, so to clarify this: Carapace Armour doctrine is not something you buy for the listed points and then it applies to your whole army. It still costs the listed points PER unit, except that if you give it to ONE unit, you MUST give it to ALL qualifying (guard infantry) units.

Sorry, felt the need to clarify as what you said seemed to imply that all you had to do was pay for Carapace Armour once and it'd affect every unit in your army.
Wouldnt it be grand if they let you apply it as liberally as you wanted? Placing it where you felt instead of being forced to apply it universally?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Some doctrines can be applied where you want and not universally to every guard infantry squad in your army. Every special equipment doctrine must be applied to all possible squads that are guard infantry. An example of this is Carapace Armor and Chem-inhalers. However, options like sharpshooters, jungle fighters and light infantry are allowed to be applied to some of your guard infantry squads but are not required to be applied to all of them. So you could take a sharpshooters for the heavy weapons squads in your heavy weapons platoon but you don't have to apply it to the command squad in the heavy weapon platoon.

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
I know this isnt exactly what they asked but I had a similar question regarding paying for doctrines for Conscripts. Do you pay for every 10 conscripts or for the whole platoon regardless of the size?

Thanks!
The points is for the whole Conscript platoon regardless of size. In the rules, it states that the platoon functions as one unit, and that the squad number is only used to determine the amount of special and heavy weapons you can take.
Or at least it would be. As far as I can think of, since Conscripts aren't Guard Infantry, the only doctrines that directly affect them are Close Order Drill (which is free), and the one that allows you to take them in the first place.

To clarify a bit further, Sharpshooters only works on Guard Infantry, meaning that stormies wouldn't have passed the first requirement anyways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts