Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the deal when a commander joins a gun/marker drone squad for a game that falls under "The Scouring" rules?

*scratches head* Clarification appreciated!

·
Registered
774 Posts
OK, first off, if the opponent destroys the squad they get an extra VP, that bit is obvious

if the commander is attached the squad at the time when objectives are checked for VPs, then yes they count as a scoring unit due to two rules...

1. BRB pg 39: While an Independent Character is part of a unit, he counts as part of the unit for all rules purposes, though he still follows the rules for characters
2. Codex Tau pg 33: A unit comprised entirely of drones is a non-scoring, non denial unit

So, the commander is part of the unit, therefore the unit is not comprised entirely of drones, therefore it is a standard fast attack unit which (due to the rules for the scouring) is now a scoring unit

Its worth noting that in any mission, a drone unit with a commander attached is a denial unit

·
Registered
441 Posts
Wow i never thought that this case would come up, but makes sense. Heck by that logic its not even a grey area.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Only the drone unit scores. The fact that the commander is attached means nothing; nothing at all.

Should every single drone in the unit that the commander joined be eliminated, your commander isn't scoring. He never was, and he never will be!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Only the drone unit scores. The fact that the commander is attached means nothing; nothing at all.
...Except by the ruling that VampireCabbage posted, so the commander is necessary for drones to score under the Scouring. I want there to be a clear consensus on this, so let's take a moment to clarify the following.

To all: is it contested here that under a game following "the Scouring" mission rules, drones will only score- regardless of the BRB rulings on pages 128 & 129- if & when an independent character has attached himself to the drone squad. Yea, or nay?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yes, because codex trumps rulebook

the codex states that a unit consisting only of drones is a non-scoring, non-denial unit this trumps the BRB mission rule that FA choices count as scoring

I do hope they FAQ this though to clarify

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
...Except by the ruling that VampireCabbage posted, so the commander is necessary for drones to score under the Scouring. I want there to be a clear consensus on this, so let's take a moment to clarify the following.
Sorry, I forgot that the Tau codex says that drones may never score. Now that I understand the question properly...

NO, the commander does not become scoring just because he joins a Fast Attack unit. Yes, the commander is a part of that unit for all intents and purposes, but he is not a Fast Attack choice.

Actually, go back and read my first response. The sentiment there is correct.

If what you're saying were to be true, then it could prove very easy to prevent opponent from earning Slay the Warlord. All you'd have to do is join your Warlord to some other non-HQ unit and ensure that the Warlord is not the last model killed. Because, according to your logic, he magically "becomes Troops" (say) just by joining a unit of Troops.

Ridiculous.

Unless mission rules say that an HQ model is scoring ... they do NOT. It doesn't matter WHAT unit they join; they themselves NEVER score.

·
Registered
774 Posts
At no point have I suggested that the commander is a scoring unit, the squad as a whole (drones + IC) is a scoring unit (in the scouring mission only) because its a FA choice and the unit doesn't consist entirely of drones.

The BRB states in the IC section on joining a unit that the character counts as part of the unit for all rules purposes

The IC is still a HQ choice, the drones are still a FA choice, the UNIT consists of the FA drones and the HQ IC

Ignoring the tau book for a moment, lets take a squad of assault marines from codex space marines (FA Choice) and attach a librarian to the squad. The unit now consists of 5 assault marines and a librarian, the scouring mission makes this unit scoring, correct?

the only difference between the above and the tau book is that there is a caveat in the tau rules that says a unit entirely consisting of drones is a non-scoring, non-denial unit, the unit does not entirely consist of drones at the moment (due to attached IC) and therefore the rule doesnt take effect

I really don't see how you can argue against this

1 - 12 of 12 Posts