Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

*Warning: The following passage is a rant *

Rifling through my WD collection it became glaringly apparent that every painting article will include 1 of 2 things (if not both). Whenever it is elves/eldar there is always - without fail - a 'How to paint gemstones' guide. In the period that say both the release of Eldar and High Elf army books nearly every painting article had the gemstone guide (which hasn't changed in the 12 odd years I've been involved) or the eyeball guide.
Is it just me or do other people want to see guides that explain how to highlight and/or shade correctly? Drybrushing techniques? How to paint non-metallic metals? How to get a smooth crisp finish? Weathering effects? Battle Damage? Anything other than those bloody gemstones!

*deep breath*

Ok, rant over. What would you like to see in a painting guide (apart from full page pictures with minimal instructive text)?

Thomo

·
Son of LO
3,475 Posts
Personally I like the painting guide in the Fellowship of the Ring rulebook. When you suck at painting (like me) then learning ANY technique except basic applying paint gives you a huge confidence boost. The simple explanation of how to paint hair/fur did that for me.

I'd like to see guides on how to do things like lightning, crystal patterns and 'camo' (like the how pathfinders are painted in the eldar codex). My poor fire prism crystal is looking sad and confused at a plain yellow with some white I accidently spilled on it. :(

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you mean, the lack of in-depth painting guides freely available (well, available in WD at any rate) is somewhat frustrating.
I like to think of myself as a decent painter - not great - but the so called 'guides' that are currently being produced in WD are rudimentary at best and do not actually explain anything.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I picked up most of my painting tips from here and the rest were self taught.
I dont know about the constant gem tutorials have honistly looked but I would like to see some official ones on some of the above mensioned topics.

·
Lord of Purple
933 Posts
Yeah thinking back, I can't remember how many gemstone painting articles I've seen, but its rather a lot... I'd really like to see GW do a proper, effective NMM guide, as it's something most people don't know how to do and can be hard to learn (I still can't do it :(), yet it looks great if done successfully. Some other guides such as freehand painting, designing your own army symbols and glyphs, using GS to do something that ISN'T fur or gap filling, would be pretty useful I reckon too, and would make WD a lil more useful for newer hobbyists, as well as helping more experienced painters push their skills just that little bit further.

·
2,244 Posts
GW doesn't use NMM ever, as far as I can tell.

I thought that WD painting guides have actually come a very long way, admittedly the gemstone guide is exactly the same as I started but the painting guides for specific miniatures go into a number of pages, with mixes and all that sort of thing. I started when a painting guide consisted of say 5 steps,
step 1 undercoat,
step 2 base flesh colour,
step 3 base metal colour,
step 4 base cloth colour (white I painted elves)
step 5 inexplicable finish, bringing it to a presentable standard.

I think they probably need to do more on the techniques though, drybrush, blend, layering, speckling etc.

·
Registered
301 Posts
They won't put better painting guides into the Dwarf because they sell "How to paint warhammer minis" books - well one book. Thus they do not want to undermine that sales opportunity on the begginers. That said its not the best book guide for painting anyway - though I have only breifly looked though it it did not have that feel of teaching or of guiding

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
I agree, every eldar or elven related painting article is about painting gems, like every space marine guide is about painting their eyes...

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Ha ha funny...thats very true they do labour the point of paitning gemstones, it does work though!

I remember years ago you any GW boxed product would always come with a short 'how to paint citadel miniatures' pamphlet that was very informative- they should start reproducing that sort of thing

·
Fury of the Ages
753 Posts
On the NMM note, I remember in a WD last year they did a painter review of a young bloke in the 'Eavy Metal team. He used quite a bit of NMM's and he said that when he showed the people around the EM studio there was a lot of controversy and confusion about this technique. What a load of rot! GW, get your heads out of the sand, and break into new areas!
I think if they don't start doing this, then they will be left behind, and lose a bit of their punch and respect.

I know what you mean about gem stones though... Surely, we don't need to be showed that guide every time?

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
As far as NMM goes, i can see why GW dont do tutorials etc. as it doesnt fit the 'house style', i have seen examples in White Dwarf though, so they dont seem totally oblivious to it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.