Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I played a game with my Eternal Guard yesterday (keep in mind its only the 3rd game of WHFB I've ever played) and they turned out to be completely useless. I found myself wishing that I had spent the points on additional GG instead. They charged a unit of beastmen and despite outnumbering them they were completely eaten alive, and in the end fled. Anyone have any thoughts on the uselfullness (or uselessness) of EG?

With the WE army, it seems to me you can't go wrong with more GG and the EG just seem to be a waste.

·
Registered
68 Posts
EG hardly suck. Did you stick a noble in the unit?

You just need to build you list around them.
I like 18 in a unit 5 wide w/ two characters in it.
Remember - EG are a road block meant to hold up units. Also remember with a noble (or lord) in the unit they are stubborn. That includes being stubborn if your noble denies the challange and is in the rear of the unit. (FAQ makes sure this is understood).

A BSB in the unit, with a lord in the corner. Rhymers harp on the lord, with Amber pendant on the bsb
X being EG, B = BSB, L=Lord This should be your front line set up:
- XXXBL

Put them in the "middle" of your army with two treeman on each side - dryads further out with Glade Riders on the extreme flanks and we have a nasty combat army. Def. not what people expect as a rule when you say wood elves and thus they will be off kilter playing you right away. Your center will have a Stubborn Ld 9 unit, with two Stubborn Ld 8 Treeman - ALL with a BSB to make sure no one goes anywhere.

I agree they are not my normal take - but I do on occasion bring a combat WE army and its a nice change from my normal Seth. list having nothing below move 9 in the army. Its a good change and fun to watch people cry when you drop 3 stubborn troops in the center of an army they didn't expect to have to stand and fight with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not saying they necessarily suck, but from my (albeit very limit) playing experience, the GG seem to be devastating. And 16 GG seem to be a much better usage of points.

But I didn't know about the stubborn rule with the nobleeither, so that does change things for me a little. How many points in your army before you usually puta unit of EG in it? 1,000? 1,500? or 2,000?

I think I'll try what you said about using them as a roadblock with a noble and see if I have any better luck with that. (That's sort of what I've been using GG scouts for, trying to slow down my opponents marching). The good thing about the scouts seem to be that they don't take up as many points as a unit of 18 EG.

Thanks for the tips.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
EG don't hold a candle to other elite units in the game. BSB's are easily killed and have little adequate protection. Even an AoN won't do much against a choppy enemy, especially if hatred's in the mix.

I run EG as a novelty unit at times, but that's it. And for my style of play, having two treemen and a block of EG with Hero is too many points that are too accessible to the enemy.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
4,361 Posts
I also have ran a combat oriented list that included eternal guard. They are good for a change of pace, but aren't really suited to the style of the army for competitive play. But if you forgot the stubborn, they would really be bad.

SirKently

·
859 Posts
I bought a unit of 16 to complete my 5,000 list. (All my units are in groups of four, and didn't have the points for 20, lol)

I haven't used them yet, but the general rule would be to use them like any other CC unit in our arsenal - aim for the flank, aim for the units that shooting isn't helping with, remember all the special rules, just because picking on someone at school is frowned upon doesn't make it a bad CC tactic in Warhammer. In fact it's bloody awesome as it means your archers have more choice to fire at rather than sit and go "nope, we've got men everywhere. We'll just have to shoot the breeze instead"

They are nice for a rear charge when the flank is taken up by Dryads I find. So while some poor guys are being thrashed at by trees some elves nonchalantly maneouver round the back and start shivving more guys for an extra +2 bonus to combat resolution straight off without casualties, then if you have a banner that's a +3, +4 including the rank, plus as they were in combat already you get first attacks, and if you whittle enough and chose wisely you may even end up with the Dryads outnumbering the unit left so outnumbered by fear causing enemy, or just plain outnumbering and flank bonuses should give a hefty penalty to your opponent.

Understandably as the Beast Herds are Raider units (modified skirmish rules) currently it's hard to flank them (*shakes fist*) so they're best to leave to shooting while CC is reserved for those you can flank or rear charge without too much fear.

Beast Herds being shot at remove Ungors first (which should have spears so can attack from behind the bigger Gor) THEN starts taking out the Gor (Should have two hand weapons so when you get to shooting at them, it really starts to count against our poor unarmoured little guys) Keep them harassed - they can only charge is a quarter of their models can see/are in range so keeping an eagle just out of the way of most of the unit but enough to block marches can be useful, while you can still shoot at them without remorse.

They're quite handy against Tomb Kings. In personal experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.