Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so for my new EC army I can't take raptors per se, but what about possesed with flight. That's 42 points a guy, and they are S5, and with the mark of SLaanesh I5 too. Is this a good deal?

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's not a terribly good deal (not a huge fan of Slaanesh;)), BUT I do have possessed with wings in my World Eaters list (love that Khorne!). I'll typically have a squad of possessed with flight and a second squad of possessed with talons. I love 'em - they are fun to model and it gives me a reason to buy some daemonettes and paint em red and black!

I find the flying possessed a decent fill-in for raptors, but they're just not the same without hit and run.

Now, this brings up another question - could a guy just take a Lord with his chosen Mark and then fill in some of the rank and file with non-marked chaos troops, say raptors and obliterators. Yeah he's got the mark of khorne, but it's not a world eaters army. I can't find any legal reason not too, but i may be blinded by the sheer powery-goodness of it all.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
shoottokill said:
Now, this brings up another question - could a guy just take a Lord with his chosen Mark and then fill in some of the rank and file with non-marked chaos troops, say raptors and obliterators. Yeah he's got the mark of khorne, but it's not a world eaters army. I can't find any legal reason not too, but i may be blinded by the sheer powery-goodness of it all.

Yes.

Pg.38 of CSM Codex.

Any unit with a Mark becomes Elite unless it shares the Mark of the commander or has either no mark or chaos undivided.

You are still limited by the ancient enemies rule though. Ie: If your commander has the mark of

Khorne=No Slannesh and vice versa.
Nurgle=No Tzeentch

If your general is Undivided well then I guess you could have some from everyone, but its very unfluffy outside of huge games.

As for flying possessed, I've tried it with a Lord with flight linked to them. It worked pretty well, but suffered from the typical weakness of such units. Ie:

Turn #1. Moved up behind cover.
Turn #2. Moved, assaulted, kicked lots of ass. Kicked so much as that after killing everyone and even managing to grab some cover.....
Turn #3. Got shot by 80% of opponents army. Ack.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Possessed with flight very rarely (I would almost say never) make back their points cost in battle. At 42 points a pop, each casualty is very significant. The real problem with using possessed with flight isn't the possessed themselves, but the lack of points thereof for the rest of your army.

That being said, the best reason for using this type of possessed configuration is because you like the models or like the fluff. They are great for casual games, but absolutely worthless in tournament play.

·
Registered
207 Posts
boydgarrett said:
Possessed with flight very rarely (I would almost say never) make back their points cost in battle. At 42 points a pop, each casualty is very significant. The real problem with using possessed with flight isn't the possessed themselves, but the lack of points thereof for the rest of your army.

That being said, the best reason for using this type of possessed configuration is because you like the models or like the fluff. They are great for casual games, but absolutely worthless in tournament play.
What ya need is khornate chainaxes and a talisman of burning blood. Statistically speaking, it's a 50% kill ratio - even against terminators. Course the wings are pretty much window dressing at that point - but they do look cool. NOt everything is about points and economy - I see wings and I think "kill it b4 it gets here faster than i can deal with." I see a Land Raider and I think "KILL IT KILL IT NOW." Other similar thoughts might not make a lot of tactical sense - like bypassing a basilisk battery to take out a single land raider (or berzerkers chasin an empty rhino around the table- wheee!) but that's what using psychology at the table is all about, right?

When you play a checkers army in a game of chess you need all the help you can get, right?

KHORNE!!!!

·
Spiky
768 Posts
I DO !!

My nurgle army beneficiate from support of a 7 possessed Plagues Carrions, which are possessed with black rottens wings.

They are great, You just need to understand how they work. The AC has a power weapon and a melta bomb. They can take care of mostly any isolated threat or support melee.

Imagine : +1T +1S Fearless Inv Save 12" Move No Obstacles.

Never use it under 1500 points.

·
438 Posts
Yeah, cult armies are more likely to use them as the main form of jump infantry available. In an Undivided army like myself, I keep looking at it and the only reason I would consider taking them (aside from modelling fun) is as a small "retinue" for a flight-based HQ. And then only if a Raptor's aspiring champ can't fill in the HQ's place. Generally speaking, if your army can take raptors, you get a lot more bang for your point-buck out of them.

Besides, you have to ask yourself: Flight-based Possessed, or deep-striking Terminator chosen? They're about the same price, after all.

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
I have two units of possessed witrh wings in my 1500pt Khorne army VERY deadly. Even if reduced to two models they can rip most squads apart, remember that most squads in the game aren't equiped for HtH so you can really do some damage.

Plus have also seen possessed with wings and bolt of change for Tzeentch = jump packing Lascannons also very nasty.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
shoottokill said:
What ya need is khornate chainaxes and a talisman of burning blood. Statistically speaking, it's a 50% kill ratio - even against terminators.
Except that the guy has already said he plays EC, and therefore, can't take either of those bits of wargear..

The problem I can see is with armour penetration. A champion with a power weapon might help you there, but still, for such an expensive unit to have 2/3rds of its attacks bounce harmlessly of marine power armour is a bit of a letdown. I'm sure you can use this squad to great effect, but you need to be clever about it.. decide on its use and strategy, decide what its going to target, and then stick to that.

·
I hate Ultramarines
1,297 Posts
I was tempted to get the winged possessed but it works out twice the price of a single beserker, which i dont think is worth it. I'd rather 2 beserker squads in place of a single winged squad, purely because it is alot harder to kill 2 things instead of 1. Although that said, i did create a 400 point chosen squad of 5 models lol, although they do deepstrike

·
Dancing Peanuts? You bet!
1,350 Posts
I would say 42 points per person ISN'T worth it in less than 2000 points, if you're playing with Emperors Children. Take them for Nurgle or Khorne, and it would be a great deal, but an extra 5 points for +1 initiative seems a bit pointless.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
I have a unit of flying Possessed for my Thousand Sons. I very rarely use them though as they are a somewhat expensive and difficult unit to field. They suffer the "to big destructive potential-syndrome" and seem unable to find a cc to hide in during the enemy shooting-phase.
I still love them though...

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
I guess the main issue I have is that winged possessed are guaranteed (virtually) to get into combat where as foot bezerkers could get shot up. Plus you don't have to roll to see if they go bezerk and move towards the nearest enemy regardless.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i usually take flying possessed with the night lords. well, they are more expensive than raptors, but s5 and 5+ invulnerable saving can make the difference.

i combine 2-3 raptor squads with 1-2 flying possessed at 1500-2000+ points, and well, they are not terminators, but i can overtake enemy flanks.

i usually use a chaos lord/lieutnant in the possessed units to give them an extra punch.

·
EWOP
586 Posts
I use one unit of Winged Possessed in my Thousand Sons. They also have Doombolt as mortal sorcerers. This makes them a move-and-shoot complete heavy bolter squad with three attacks on the charge and a move of 12". They're horribly expensive however so you don't get many to the pound. Still, Winged is better than Rhino-ed where they would just get death-by-lascannon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts