Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am currently playing a warriors of chaos army list where I commonly use Nurgle, Slanesh and/or Tzeentch spells. In my gaming group, there has been quite a bit of debate around targeting issues and line of sight from the casting model due to the inconsistency in language used by GW in spell descriptions.

Some spells in my army book say... "choose a unit" some say "pick a unit". Some of these spells indicate line of site is required, while others say nothing about line of site AT ALL!!

In the core rules, magic spells at times clearly state when they can be cast on a unit not in line of sight of the casting model. Due to this specificity the players I play with argue that unless it clearly states that the unit affected by the spell does not have to be in line of sight of the casting model to cast upon it....it does need line of sight. I.e. you can not "choose" a unit, or "pick" a unit if your casting model cannot see the unit it wishes to pick/choose.

I was under the assumption that the intent of GW was that, unless it is a magic missile, or the spell states you must have line of sight you as a player choose/pick a unit and then just check for distance, and the line of site of the model casting the spell is irrelevant. For example as I understand it, I can hide my daemon Prince Behind my Chaos Knights and Cast Ecstatic Seizures -"Pick an enemy unit, if it is within 24" of the caster...." on any unit within 24". Even if my target is hidden behind their own troops. For example in the diagram below "D" behind unit "K" could in fact Pick T and cast the spell on "T" which is screened by unit "x".

T

xxxxxxxx

KKKKKKKK

D

My friends insist that I must maneuver to gain line of sight (and expose my daemon) before I can pick "T" and cast the spell on the unit (something like below). Referencing spells like "Steed of Shadows" which clearly state the spell can be cast on any model within 12", no line of site required. They would argue that unless it clearly states no line of site required like this spell.... it is obviously required!

T D

xxxxxxxx

KKKKKKKK

I think that the wording in spells like "The spirit of the forge" and "Rule of Burning Iron" which clearly indicate that it can be cast on any unit that is within 24" and visible to the caster is more common. Many of the spells in my army book indicate when line of sight is required, "Buboes" "Cloying Quagmire"etc.. I argue that unless it states that the unit has to be visible to the caster like it does in these spells, GW's intent is that the model does not need line of sight to cast the spell on a unit. But, if that was their intent, why bother specifying it is not needed in spells like, "steed of shadows" and "Pha's Illumination". They are very clear one way or another on most spells, why are there so many spells where it does not specify one way or another????

What about "Commandment of Brass"? ... has a range of up to 24" and can be cast on any enemy war machine or chariot. If successfully cast.... Here you do not target, choose, pick, the unit at all!!! It does not say no line of sight is required, nor does it indicate that it must be visible to the caster? What is the official stance on spells where it is not specified? Do you always need Line of sight unless it states otherwise, or do you never need line of sight unless it states you do. The only thing that would appear to be clear to me is spells designated as magic missiles, or ones where it specifically addresses line of sight from model.

I read the FAQ for the core rule book and the Warriors of Chaos army book and cannot find any further clarification on the issue? Is there something I am missing in the existing rules that clarifies this? Why is this not a concern/issue for anyone else? Anyone know how tournaments and league games would handle this? I need specific reference to official rulings, or my group will most likely insist that their interpretation is valid as that interpretation favors most army lists being played? Obviously, my interpretation of the targeting for spells favors my army list more with the spells in Warriors of Chaos which involve a lot of choose/pick. Only a couple specify choose/pick at target in line of sight. The rest simply choose/pick within X".

I am hoping that someone can help out. We really just want to know the official intent of GW, as reading through the books and FAQ releases is not providing us with enough clarity.

Is there any way to contact GW directly about rules concerns? Heavens know we have all invested enough money into this game to warrant a little customer service...

Thanks in advance.

·
4,361 Posts
Check out this thread.

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/fb-rules-help/185789-magic-los.html

And remember, english apparently is a second language to GW writers. Never try to interpret the rules for one spell by refering to another. It will not work. Take each spell individually. Nowhere does it say line of sight is required, except for magic missiles and spells that say so. Other spells go by whatever is in there description. So a spell saying that it doesn't require line of sight, or saying nothing on the subject at all, is the same thing, no line of sight is required.

SirKently

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So in my example above,

T

xxxxxxxx

KKKKKKKK

D

"D", can in fact target "T" with Ecstatic Seizures as the spell does not specifically say that LOS is required, the only restriction being the distance the spell can effect 24"?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts