Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK so I'm going to use the 3 sample lists GW have on the site, but I'm aiming to have at least semi-decent list. First up, Triple StormRaven. I should note that I've had two in a 1500pt list, and won by a comfortable margin. This is the first list I've built with 3.

HQ (130)
Reclusiarch w/ No Upgrades 130

Heavy Support (720)
StormRaven 1 w/ Assault Cannon & TML, Extra Armour 240
StormRaven 2 w/ LasCannon & TML, Extra Armour 240
StormRaven 3 w/ Assault Cannon & TML, Extra Armour 240

Troops (690)
Death Company x10 w/ 2x PF/Hand Flamer 270
Death Company Dreadnaught w/ Blood Talons, Melta/Heavy Flamer + Magna Grapple 150
Assault Squad x5 w/ Meltagun, Powerfist 135
Assault Squad x5 w/ Meltagun, Powerfist 135

Elite (460)
Furioso Dreadnought w/ Frag Cannon, BloodFist/Melta + MagnaGrapple 140
Furioso Dreadnought w/ BloodFist/Melta, BloodFist/Heavy Flamer + MagnaGrapple 150
Sanguinary Priest w/ JP, CombiFlamer (x2) 170

I'd use this as a lance - basically pick a point in the enemy formation that has good cover from the rest of it, and wipe it out. Then just roll down the flank. It wouldn't work against fast armies, but against anything slow (IG, nidzilla, etc) it'll cause a lot of damage before they can react.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Now even if this is better than the GW original list the main problem lies in the concept itself. Its not so much an army list but an excuse for buying three Stormravens.

Now that you have bought those three Stormravens you want the bang for the buck out of them so you need dreadnoughts and jump packs for each Stormraven to haul. Okay, you got them, but ran out of points by the time you only have 10 scoring models so you end up with a list that can't capture, can't hold and has a lot of relatively easy kill points for 2000 points list. The end result is, of course, that the only way to play such a list is for Wipeout... and if you want to play for Wipeout this isn't really optimal list for that one either. So you've come a full circle and still have no real army list. Just an excuse to buy more Stormravens :p

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very true, I just wanted to prove you could make a 3SR list that didn't TOTALLY suck - and tbh, of my 8 out of 10 wins with BA to date at least 4 of them have been small elite armies achieving total wipeout of the enemy in under 4 turns, which this list would do nicely. 2 of those lists involved no scoring units, because I think BA is one of the few armies with which it is an achieveable aim. I'd never attempt it with Vanilla as they're too slow but I've yet to find an army with the momentum of Blood Angels.

And as I said I've had 2 in 1500, and won 8-3 in an annihilation match - and it would have been better had I not decided to test Seth out alone against a full unit of 'gaunts. He won btw, although it did take 3 turns :D

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
You know, I've actually done Wipeout with Vanilla marines. Two out of my so far three wins with my Raven Guard were such.

However, if I would want to specifically build a "Wipeout" army I'd probably take a variation of this list with Astorath, two Stormravens instead of three, Death Companies and DC Dreads.

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, I've actually done Wipeout with Vanilla marines. Two out of my so far three wins with my Raven Guard were such.
Raven Guard - the only vanilla army out there capable of keeping up with the Angels :D I played around with a Strike list before the BA book came out :)
However, if I would want to specifically build a "Wipeout" army I'd probably take a variation of this list with Astorath, two Stormravens instead of three, Death Companies and DC Dreads.
Agreed, but the beauty of this list is it doesn't need to go the wipeout route - just take 2 objectives and deny the rest :) I'd happily play this army against anyone but DE, CE, ShrikeVanilla or another BA army. Oh, what I wouldn't give to have fleeting Blood Angels :D

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Raven Guard - the only vanilla army out there capable of keeping up with the Angels :D I played around with a Strike list before the BA book came out :)
Agreed, but the beauty of this list is it doesn't need to go the wipeout route - just take 2 objectives and deny the rest :) I'd happily play this army against anyone but DE, CE, ShrikeVanilla or another BA army. Oh, what I wouldn't give to have fleeting Blood Angels :D

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
Honestly, I would dump the Furiosos and bulk out the assault squads, even if it means they lose their packs. And I'd get hurricane bolters on the AC stormravens. You've also got a few upgrades in there (e.g. hand flamers) that I'd say are unnecessary given the very small scoring units.

It's still miles better than the GW list, though.

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Honestly, I would dump the Furiosos and bulk out the assault squads, even if it means they lose their packs.
If I could have had the discount on the stormravens, I would have lost the JPs - but otherwise I'd lose the packs for no gain. It was a tricky decision but in the end made by how many points I had left :)
And I'd get hurricane bolters on the AC stormravens. You've also got a few upgrades in there (e.g. hand flamers) that I'd say are unnecessary given the very small scoring units.
I instinctively ignore sponson weapons - especially on vehicles I want to keep moving fast, and it's not like the SR isn't already loaded for bear! That's just one of my things, like always having powerfists on my sergeants, it may not be ideal but it's "the way I roll". I totally see your point on the hand flamers though, another one of my ingrained things is if I am limited in my number of weapon upgrades I always take the most I can get - but if there's no limit, I don't necessarily buy any :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts