Librarium Online Forums banner

Doom Eagles 1500pts

448 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Brother_Durrant 
#1 · (Edited)
I decided to go a different route with my Doom Eagles, mostly because originally I thought that land speeders performed better then what they do and I was planning to do squadrons of 3. So I thought I would go with Trust your battle-brother and No mercy, no respite and Eye to eye and Death before dishonor instead. Yes I know that these selections are Cheese, but I figure if I am going to do it, go all the way.

1500pt army

HQ is a Reclusiarch (112 pts.) equipped with bolt pistol, bionics, frag grenades, and a jump pack. The Reclusiarch will be attached to one of the assault squads.

Tactical Squad Alpha is 10 troopers (298 pts.) they have the true grit/counter attack and furious charge. The squad is equipped with frag grenades and one trooper has a Missile launcher and one trooper has a melta gun. The Squad is mounted in a rhino for rapid deployment, and the rhino has heavy armor and smoke launchers.

Tactical Squad Beta is 10 troopers (298 pts.) they have the true grit/counter attack and furious charge. The squad is equipped with frag grenades and one trooper has a Missile launcher and one trooper has a melta gun. The Squad is mounted in a rhino for rapid deployment, and the rhino has heavy armor and smoke launchers.

Assault Squad Charlie is 9 troopers (262 pts.) they have the true grit/counter attack and furious charge. Two troopers are equipped with plasma pistols.

Assault Squad Delta is 9 troopers (262 pts.) they have the true grit/counter attack and furious charge. Two troopers are equipped with plasma pistols.

Devastator Squad Echo is 5 troops (268 pts.) they have the true grit/counter attack. Four of the marines are equipped with missile launchers. The squad is mounted in a Razorback with a twin-linked las cannon, heavy armor, and smoke launchers.

The main disadvantage of this force is size, I am sacrificing about 200 points for the true grit/counter attack and furious charge combo. But I think it will pay for its self in versatility.

Comments and thoughts are more then welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
Seriously, format your list so that you don't have to explain everything in sentences. For example, when you say
HQ is a Reclusiarch (112 pts.) equipped with bolt pistol, bionics, frag grenades, and a jump pack. The Reclusiarch will be attached to one of the assault squads.
, just say
Reclusiarch, bolt pistol, frags, jump pack, 112 pts, joins assault squad
Anyway, now I'll review your list...

You definetly want to give him terminator honours. For one, HQ selections are the best assault units we can get, so you want to maximize his killing power in close combat. Always give HQ as many attacks as possible if you want them to assault.

Tactical Squad Alpha is 10 troopers (298 pts.) they have the true grit/counter attack and furious charge. The squad is equipped with frag grenades and one trooper has a Missile launcher and one trooper has a melta gun. The Squad is mounted in a rhino for rapid deployment, and the rhino has heavy armor and smoke launchers.
Ok, rhinos are not good means of transportation. Secondly, if you move them in the rhino, you can't shoot the lascannon. Thirdly, if you choose not to mount them in the rhino and instead shoot the lascannon, you're probably out of range to use the meltagun (only 12"). Fourthly, counter-attack and true grit isn't going to help you much here.

To start with, I would go in the SM articles section and read the various tacticas, particularly the one for tactical squads.

But I'll give you a quick run-down of good tactical squad selections:

1) 5 man tactical squad with Lascannon or plasma cannon, 90 - 95 pts. This squad is a basic sit-back and shoot squad. If it has a plasma cannon, it should be used to kill infantry like Space Marines, and if it is a lascannon, us it to blow up vehicles or shoot other large targets like TMCs.

2) 6 man tactical squad with Plasma cannon and plasma gun, 120 pts. This squad is just a basic anti-marine fire support squad. It really does well, considering that it only costs 120 pts.

3) 10 man tactical squad with meltagun, veteren sergent w/ powerfist, drop pod, 220 pts. This squad simply drops down with deep strike and commences assault on the next turn. The meltagun can also be fired before assaulting.

Basically, if you have a tactical squad that shoots, it shouldn't be assaulting at all, and if it assaults, don't bother with heavy weapons.

Assault Squad Charlie is 9 troopers (262 pts.) they have the true grit/counter attack and furious charge. Two troopers are equipped with plasma pistols.

Assault Squad Delta is 9 troopers (262 pts.) they have the true grit/counter attack and furious charge. Two troopers are equipped with plasma pistols.
I don't think ou can give true grit to assault marines, especially considering that they don't have bolters. Furious charge and plasma pistols is good.

What you really need, however, is a veteren sergeant with a powerfist. Since individual models can't be picked out in assault, you can take out the surrounding marines as casualties, and then use his powerfist without trouble. These are called "hidden" powerfists, because there is almost no way to pick them out (some units, like a vindicare assassin, Dark Angels Master of the ravenwing, and Necron monolith, however, have abilities that allow them to do this). When it works, you can kill Independant characters, slay powerful creatures like TMCs that the other mariens can't touch, and even just kill more marines. These will always make up for their points cost.

Devastator Squad Echo is 5 troops (268 pts.) they have the true grit/counter attack. Four of the marines are equipped with missile launchers. The squad is mounted in a Razorback with a twin-linked las cannon, heavy armor, and smoke launchers.
Make this 8 men with the same weapon loadout, no counter-attack, costs an even 200 pts. IF you mount them in the razorback, you can't shoot!

I would honestly drop true grit / counter attack entirely.

The main disadvantage of this force is size, I am sacrificing about 200 points for the true grit/counter attack and furious charge combo.
You are much better off getting an extra devastator squad for that many points.

But I think it will pay for its self in versatility.
Well, remember, units that have assault abilities are wasting them if they stay and shoot, and vice versa with heavy weapons. Some units, like Terminators and bikes, can actually do that, however, because they can move, shoot heavy weapons, and assault. So I suggest you go into the articles section and read the SM tacticas.

Saluti!
Ezekiel1990

#3 ·
Thanks for sharing your opinion/suggestions.

Thank you for your opinion and suggested reading, I have my own opinions about the tactica which I wont bother going into on this forum.

The reason for Rhinos and Razorbacks is because of Chapter fluff.

I was on the fence with the Devastator squad having true grit/counter charge, so I decided to drop it and add the points to the chaplin giving him terminator honors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.