Librarium Online Forums banner

"doom" The Movie.

4K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  kusalmed 
#1 ·
Well for all you fans of doom series a film has been made about doom 3. The film is based on Doom 3. Hopefully tho because it's staring rock they keep it to a minimum because there wern't any mega high exsplosions in the game and I bet they found every way possible to make the movie turn people off doom. I just hope really hope they kept everything to a minimum... for rock standards.

It's coming out August 5 or around there.

#2 ·
Films with the Rock starring, in generall, have little substance IMO.

For example Scorpion King was all about the special effects and cool fight scenes. The plot line was weak and rather dull.
Oh no I must go here and save [insert name]. *Fight bad guys on way*
Save [Insert name]
Big fight scene with big bad.
Almost lose, but win in the end.

TADAA!

Anyway. Doom has lots of nasty monsters, should be fun to see them on the screen.
Lets hop the logiv of movie into game is bad and game into movie is good prevails here.

#7 ·
While I agree that the it's more likely that I grow an arm out of my forehead than the Rock winning an oscar for ANY movie he does (now and forever); I do believe that when it come to action flicks he can hold his own with the best of them.

The role here is some random marine that fights the forces of hell, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for any action oriented actor.

If you had the chance to cast the marines role, whom else fits the bill?

I could see Will Smith, Bruce Willis or Hugh Jackman doing competent enough jobs here. But the kind of money that a Smith or a Willis command just to be in a film probably priced them right out of consideration.

Regardless, the star (and the die) is cast and it is a wait see game until the movie comes out.

I will keep my fingers crossed.

#9 ·
Unfortunately, this movie is not shaping up to be very good. First of all they rushed it's production, which started very recently (around December or so). Also, although they are maintaining the look of the monsters, locales, etc., the movie is not about monsters invading from hell, and it doesn't even take place on Mars.

The official story right now is that it is a "loose" translation of Doom and involves an unnamed planet and a group of Marines stationed on that planet fighting the other inhabitants of it who have been transformed into monsters by some sort of horrible plague. Again with the plague....I'm tired of Hollywood ripping up the core material. They don't have to honour it exactly, but changing the things they did make it very "un-Doom". Will I still see it? Of course, but I'll most likely wait till video release.

Oh, and the LOTR actor it also stars is the actor who played Eomer and Vaako in "Chronicles of Riddick" (really liked that movie). There were conflicting reports that the Eomer guy was the lead marine and The Rock was the Sgt., but now it seems that their roles have changed. The Rock is the only "pro" wrestler I've ever respected, and at least, even though they're mucking with the material a lot, it should be a fun, gory, action-packed popcorn flick.

#10 ·
viggio mortenson and the rock, i cant wait to see what a mess they make of this loose film about doom
::::grabs popcorn, cola and a bucket to throw up in:::::

#13 ·
You know whats funny, I searched on IMDB and found no mention of the Rock or Viggio Mortenson. and heres the the summary.

When a Special Ops squadron answers a distress call from a science lab on the planet Olduvai, their investigation reveals that a series of mutant beings are systematically killing off the population there...

and the cast list

Cast overview, first billed only:
Karl Urban .... John Grimm
Dhobi Oparei .... Destroyer
Ben Daniels .... Goat
Razaaq Adoti .... Duke
Richard Brake .... Portman
Al Weaver .... The Kid
Dexter Fletcher .... Pinky
Yao Chin .... Mac
Robert Russel .... Dr Carmack
Daniel York .... Lt. Hunegs
Ian Hughes .... Sandford Crosbie
Sara Houghton .... Dr. Jenna Willits
Blanka Jarosova .... Dr Hillary Tallman
Vladislav Dyntera .... Dr. Steve Willits
Petr Hnetkovsky .... Dr. Olsen

#14 ·
Certain concepts are only really cool within the realm of video games. Outside that realm, they're so cheesy it's rediculous. A marine blasting his way through the denizens of hell with a shotgun on Mars is one of those concepts. Even if you try to switch things around by renaming the planet and replacing the daemons with mutants,we still get another shameful hollywood attempt to cash in on the video game sale. At least in the games we were having so much fun blasting daemons we didn't notice how wretched the game's plot was. I think the chances of me going to see that movie are about as good as the changes of me buying DVD copies of Streetfighter, Mortal Kombat, Double Dragons, Mario Brothers....yeah you get the point. :hmm:

#15 ·
Doesn't sound like it is going to be high enough quality to have the Rock in it anyway. Isn't he a big box office draw now?
I actually think he is kinda cool, I always enjoy the movies he is in. He is a crack up in Be Cool.

Sounds from what you guys are saying to be a "Starship Troopers 2" calibre film, not a "Resident Evil" budget.

#17 ·
As a secondary, but unverified, source for this post, I too have heard that the rock is starring in an upcoming "Doom" movie. On a recent Daily Show segment the Rock talked a little bit about his next movie being Doom. The conversation with Stewart revolved mostly around the game and the "Bio-Force Gun" that's in the movie. Apparently thats what BFG stood for all along :rofl:, well, not really.

#20 ·
Originally posted by Weird_chaos_thingy@Mar 15 2005, 11:23
It also has a similar effect on student film makers as the Blair Witch...only its not in the woods,
[snapback]352687[/snapback]​
You mean it kills them? :D

Oh sorry, I mean "makes them disappear... :ph34r: "

I know I barely survived the horror of ST2 wit my sanity intact. it's like meeting one of those cuthulhu monsters from another dimension. :D

#21 ·
Originally posted by Weird_chaos_thingy@Mar 14 2005, 22:51
Robert Russel .... Dr Carmack
Sara Houghton .... Dr. Jenna Willits
Vladislav Dyntera .... Dr. Steve Willits
Groan.

I sense clichés and naff game references. What's the betting some security guard will be playing Doom II on the job and not notice the imp crawling along the ceiling above him?

AR

#22 ·
wow :blink:

I can already hear the two-bit-Hudson-knock-off-wannabe whining about being "short" and crying "Game over!"

And stop knocking Starship Troopers so much. The humour and blood and guts in that movie go a long way towards making it a decent flick. It's not the first movie plagued by bad acting that still managed to be good: Star Wars IV anyone?

-Steven

#24 ·
Originally posted by Weird_chaos_thingy@Mar 16 2005, 15:05
Were not knocking Starship Trooper, were knocking Starship Troopers 2 which by no ones standards was a good film.
[snapback]354188[/snapback]​
Sadly, one night, out of impulse, I bought the SST2 DVD.

Heheh, I love it when they slit the dude's throat and the digital wound shows up a second after the knife slices.

And when they kick the girl in the face, and the *thud* sound is a second after the boot makes contact.