Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, quick question. The doomwheel entry says that it shoots three "bolts of warp lighning a turn". My question is, do you roll a d6 to see how many hits you get with each bolt (as you would with the spell "warp lightning") or is it just three shots?

·
I've had enough!
2,041 Posts
Sorry Hive, it aint so :(

The Doomwheel fires 3 single bolts, resolved one at a time. HOWEVER, it does D6 wounds :) This is how you use it to smash multiple targets. Get it near a single model, kill it, then move on to the next.

Tim

·
Registered
188 Posts
So it can only kill 3 models max (in not multi wound)....still good :D

If there is say, a foot chraracter bu within 4 inches of another unit but the character is closer to the doomwheel doe it hit the character?

·
I've had enough!
2,041 Posts
As long as that Character is the closest unit to the Doomwheel, he'll get hit :) Proximity to units does not protect him!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm still confused on the part when the bolts hit. The description never specifies that it automatically hits at all so I am deeply confused :/

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The lauguage suggests that it automatically hits, i think. im not looking at the codex right now though...

·
Registered
30 Posts
IMO the book is quite clear. You will fire 3 bolts, each are dealt with one at a time and will cause D6 wounds per bolt, if you hit a single wound model (in a unit or not) that will be the only thing that bites the dust for that single bolt. The bolts will hit the nearest target within 18" with no exceptions inc terrain (think as the bird fly’s). The Doomwheel is a Giant homing missile to multi wound targets, it is tricky to make sure you get it in the right place but it is one of the funniest things to watch your opponent running his hardest units in the other direction (Dragon, Bloodthirster, Treeman ...)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Check it out, start shooting, 3 bolts, targeting the closest unit, auto hits(has to auto hit, otherwise there is no element of risk in using the wheel), str determined by artillery dice, unit rolls saving throw(s), d6 wounds applied if saving throw fails. If first or 2nd bolt kills it's target find the next closest unit and start shooting at it, hence the element of risk.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh crap, I thought it just shot like a Warplightning Cannon without the bounce. And yes, it does automatically hit. Games Workshop cleared that up for me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Woot Woot then man!

In a 1500 pt. game I had with my buddy (who plays TK's) the other day I dealt like 11 wounds to his bone giant, but then the disagreement with if the shots hit automatically or not and we settled on it didn't auto hit with a dice roll. I ended up missing the giant :( however I still won the game.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used the doomwheel against ogre kingdoms and Annailated a unit of 3 bulls turn 1. My opponent then turned all his ogres around and ran to the other flank lol.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The nature of the bolts is what IMO makes it one of the most bent rare choices in the book. Apart from cannons/stone throwers, the only way to really effectively deal with it is big, fast, strong monsters, which it excels at killing.

That and its maneuverability

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Description quotes,

" Each warp lightning bolt has an 18" range and will strike the nearest unit..."

As it says the strike is a given, think of it as if you had cast a modified version of the warp lightning spell. As with the spell there is no rolls to hit. The easiest equivalent would be to treat it like a bound ability. Doing 3 hits at an artillery dice Str, and d6 wounds per strike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts