Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gladewalker
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the sponsons worth it? They look really cool. But it doesn't seem like they would ever be able to fire at the same target as the main front facing guns. Certainly no both heavy bolters at the same time.

Does anyone use these? When would you bring them?

·
1,648 Posts
I take them on Vendettas. Despite not having much synergy with the lascannons, they are effective at putting wounds on MCs, works against hordes, and light vehicles.

You do have the guns mounted on the swivel arm right? The arc of fire is actually fairly wide, much more than leman russ sponsons.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Valkyries and vendettas have a 180" fire arc, so they can shoot directly forwards, backwards, and anywhere inbetween.

The Emperor Protects

·
2,399 Posts
I don't use the models. They suck.

For weapon arcs :The main guns, be they vendetta's lascannons, or a valk's multilaser / MRP / Other worse weapons it's a fixed weapon, so 45 degrees. The heavy bolters have a approx 60 degree fire arc, as that's how much you can you swivel them.
Or, that was my take on it, according to p59 of the little black book. Does the wings count as "hull" ? Well, they're fixed so i can't see it being more than 45.
The sponsoons? well, it "varies greatly" - it's what i can point them at really, for true LOS. It's never come up to try and fire them backwards, but i guess if i didn't glue them in it could be done.
I may well be wrong, discuss (and quote) away:

oh, i always bring them. It's just "SANCTIONED BY THE ORDER OF THE EMPEROR" points, which is peanuts. a valk with MRP and multilaser can move 12" and fire all the above, but if you're moving 6" (or less) that extra 6 STR5 shots can really add to your anti infantry (IMHO). well worth it.
Vendettas? Well, three twin linked las are good for anti tank, but for so little more adding.. 6 STR 5 shots is so worth it.
Just ask, if all leman russes could only take heavy bolters, at that price, would they take them?
That was the case, and a solid staple for years.
I can count three, and three only leman russes i encountered before the new dex that didn't. I must have seen 100. One was a Vanquisher with lascannon, one was a demolisher with plasma, and one was a company command tank.

Take them. I urge you. In the event you decide you don't want to try them for a game or two, swivel them back in and close the doors. (do not glue the doors or the pivot). You'll change back. (I am aware that in 5 years they may be not so good. not that likely, but maybe the dex says points = high. shut the doors then.)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I belive it to be 180 degree but I could be wrong, and as for the use of it, if I can find the points. The only time I would take it if I'm taking a vendetta which is always going to be moving 6 inches if you want to fire those lascannons, which then they can be useful when you are shooting at MC for those cheat extra shots

·
Registered
81 Posts
the physical model of the vendetta can be built so the door sponsons can face directly forward, anyone who says they cant fire at targets directly ahead should be shot as far as im concerned, its not like they are free. i mean.. space marines get FREE heavy bolters.. and we get all the wise guys goin "sorry they can only fire at targets on the side"

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I always take the heavy bolters.
For one, by the third turn either your vendetta will be dead, or all enemy armour on the field will be dead, thus making your primary target Infantry.

Two, you'll only ever be moving 6 inches anyway to fire all lascannons. Thus, your bolters may fire as well.

I see no reason to not take them on Vendettas. There is literally no reason not to, in my books.

·
Gladewalker
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only run valkyries, so the extra anti-infantry fire would help. It just bothers me to only move 6" with a fast skimmer if I were to use the sponsons. My main concern was the firing arc, which it seems isn't a problem. I'll give them a try in the next couple games.

Thanks everyone.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Always, always, always take them. It makes a Vendetta a great dual purpose vehicle, and not just an anti-tank one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts