Librarium Online Forums banner

DoW 1 still alive?

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Ebon Hand 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am looking to get into a fun video game to kill time this next semester and I have been watching Vaul's DoW soul stone tourny and I want to get back into DoW. I have heard DoW 2 is not very challenging as is rather dissapointing so I am looking at the old DoW.

My question is mainly whether or not this older version still has a lot of online support. If I spend the money to get back into this game I dont wanna see 3 people online everytime I log on. So since you guys are the online gaming crowd can you give me some insite on how this game is doing?

Thanks

#2 ·
Just recently Steam had a wonderful deal where you could get every DoW game, including all the expansions and number 2 for $45. I jumped in on this offer. When I went online for DoW 1(Soulstorm in particular) there were still lots of people playing. So it probably is still worth it. On another note I think DoW 2 is a lot of fun too, just a different kind of fun.

#4 ·
I play dark crusade, which is one of the later expansions of DoW1 all the time. It has a good amount of people that play and its never hard to find a game. The only problem is that you can only use the armies that are on that certain game you have, and you have to buy the expansions to get the other races.... i think thats how it works, but you can still play with all the other expansions as far as i know

#5 ·
when playing online - you can only play the races from the games you have installed - so
DoW gives Choas, Orks, Elder, SM
DoW Winter assult also gives IG
DoW Dark Crusade gives Tau and Necs
DoW Soulstorm gives Dark elder and SOB

So i have all installed ( or some have the unlocker found online and only have SS installed) so i can play all the races.

#6 ·
if you want dow original expert advice, i've been playing that for years, then just ask me ^^. I also am quite confident with WA. dark crusade is absolutely messed up and soulstorm not far beinhd it. But DE are quite good, if not the best, the reason people diss them is because they don't know how to use it. It you want help with DE i can help.
Also you must remember DOW & WA operate on the same game style, where as DC & SS operate with a different same style but DC & SS have the same game styles.
Dow is still running with around 2 dozen members per night roughly
WA is dead, it really is.
DC gets around the odd 50, average, but even that's declining.
SS well i haven't been on SS because it won't let me download the patch and it freezes before it has even downloaded 1/4 of the patch.
I will rep anyone who can help me with my problem.
thanks
antique_nova

#7 ·
Yeh goggle the patch and DL and copy over to SS folder - then it will already have the patch we all had to do that cos the patch ingame wouldn't load for us either.

#9 ·
I got DoW2 for Christmas but my computers graphic card card cannot play it and you cannot replace a graphics card in a laptop. I really wish I could play it though. Do you think that my computer would play 1 if it couldn't play 2?

#13 ·
I play DoW all the time, you still get over 100 players on SS every night and dspite owing DoW2 I'd still rather play the original. I play with Rafici, been doing it since a couple of months after the original games release with Raf starting not long after. The days of the big clans (Odin, LoW etc) still make me nostalgic (we were in LoW). Great game, Im generally on as [LoW]_Matus or Brother_Matus or Lord_Matus if anyone wants a game although my skills are not what they were.

#14 ·
That is true mat - you be rusty (with some races) as i but we are quickly removing that rust.

You most on as Lord_Matus - well you are when you play with me im on as [LoW]_Rafici

Yes the good old days of clan wars etc.

Have to say we mostly play comp stomps these days as a lot of the players are rushers or crap and we value a good well earned (long) battle over a quick boring victory.

Unlike some people we still talk about games we have played which have lasted up to 3 hours - but then we do do 2v5 and 2v4v1 (1 being a comp on its own to give us 7 mins before all of the comps hit us)

I love this game so much

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.