Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, tried finding a solid post on the this topic, but had no success.

I wanted to try and get a discussion going about whether to take Daemon Princes or Soul Grinders, for instance, in a MC list.

Against shooting, it seems like Daemon Princes would live longer against heavy weapons, but die to mass shooting, but in assault they could get overwhelmed, especially against Orcs running a lot of boyz.

But for soul grinders I see it as the opposite. One lucky shot from heavy-weapon shooting and they could be wrecked, but mass shooting has no effect. In CC they would be harder to destroy because of their AV 13. Even power-fists would need to roll a 5 to glance, and melta-bombs would only hit them on a roll of 6.

So anyway, what is everyone's opinion? I was working on a fun MC list for 1750-1850 tourney, one is two GD, 3 MC's, and 4 6-man plaguebearer units, but the size seems small. As opposed to doing two GD, 3 SG's, 4 6-man plaguebearers and still having room for two units of 3 bloodcrushers, or something similar.

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
It's a trade off.

Grinders are cheaper and have S10 plus fleet, but they are your only vehicles and as a result anything with a melta makes them go poof.

DPs are more expensive, but have more options, can be specialized, and don't get taken out by a single shot (weight of fire will drag them down though).

It depends on your army. In ==My== army I field DPs alongside Tzeralds in chariots and fiends so everything is multi-wounded with medium T so meltas and high S low AP weapons are worthless, plus they have bolt, which I need desparately.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ==Me==

So in a MC list, would you prefer three Soul Grinders w/ phlegm, or three DP of Nurgle with flight, hide, cloud, noxious touch, and breath?

The DP's cost a bunch of points, but I think would be very effective in CC, which the soul Grinder is also good at. But the DP's can also charge into cover with no real downside, whereas it could be bad for the SG, not to mention their huge footprint when deepstriking.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
==Me== is correct. The only other issue you might want to consider is how much of an investment you want to make. Daemon Princes are a lot easier to convert cheaply than Soul Grinders are.

In either case, you really want 3 of each, so 3 soul grinders gets really expensive, whereas chaos spawn or plastic Tyranid monstrous creatures convert into daemon princes fairly easy.

So in real $$$, the DP win, but as for gameplay (as ==Me== already said) it really depends on your army and your playstile.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.