Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya,

I was busy building my newest unit: a unit of dragon princes! :D now reading the rules bout them, i was wondering why they have hand weapons.. do they serve any use? or is it just that every elf has at least a hand weapon?
I found out that the Silver helms have them as well, as do all other elves.

but especcially for mounted units i do not understand why you would bother having them :p
you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
433 Posts
because you only use lances on the charge when your mounted.
even brett's with lances of awesome change to hand weapons in later rounds.
at least thats how I interpreted it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there's nothing that says you cant use a lance after you have charged... it only states that when you charge, you get a 2+ strength bonus..

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I think I've read somewhere that EVERY model of the whole game has at least a hand weapon or something that counts as one. As for the lance matter, perhaps it doesn't state you can't use it after you charge, but think it in a "realistic" way (quotation marks are compulosry when talking about realism in Warhammer, but still): a lance is way too long and heavy to be used more than for one strike. Even in real-life middle ages, knights used to switch from a lance to a sword/mace/flail/axe/whatever after the charge, for the lance was likely to break or get stuck in the ground/foe's guts. And even if those didn't occur, it's almost impossible to efficiently fight when you hand a small tree, unless you are a troll.

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
Like LoreSeeker said, every model in WHFB is considered to have a hand weapon. On Dragon Princes they don't really serve a use, but in some units they do. Mainly in infantry on foot who have shields, where you can choose the hand weapon instead of their other weapons for the extra armour save bonus and in models which have great weapons so you can choose the hand weapon to not strike last.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks that really makes it clear.. quite silly you don't get any sort of special rule when your mounted :p
a knight striking down from his horse on an infantry trooper would always have a sort of advantage.. but there are more things that aren't really covered in the game like that... Halbardiers and pikemen are specially designed to defend against cavalry, and would surely lose against infantry.. but there's nothing like that in the game.. :(

well thanks anyway :D

·
Herman1004
1,266 Posts
I just look upon it as if every solider in an army would carry a small knife, dagger or short sword just in case. Would be a pain if FB had the same WYSIWIG rules as 40K.

"You can't use that model, it doesn't have a handweapon!"

Regards,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.