Librarium Online Forums banner

What do you use for Dreadnought Drop ods?

• GW's Drop Pod

Votes: 26 68.4%
  • FW's Dreadnought Drop Pod

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Make your Own

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Don't Take 'em!

Votes: 2 5.3%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poll will be open for 2 weeks, I want o encourage discussion, so please take the time to vote and post.

Anyways onto the question!

What do you guys use to represent Dreadnought Drop Pods?

There are a few basic options;

A] GW's Drop Pod
Reasoning - Its the only one GW provides, so use it, convert it as much as possible to make it a Dread Drop Pod or just use as is.

B] FW's Dreadnought Drop Pod
Reasoning - Even if its more Expensive(Man Up!) its what you should use, its the correct size and proper doors ect ect.

C] Make your Own
Reasoning - Its cheaper than buying either most likely, if you vote for this post a link to a tutorial if at all possible.

D] Don't Take 'em!
Reasoning - Okay, this isn't an option for me, but it is still an option in general.

Thanks for you input.

Mike

·
Registered
255 Posts
I made mine years ago, when the only option was a fortune at forgeworld or the highway. There's a bunch of templates out there, but the one I settled on looks more like a drop bunker rather than a drop pod, so no worries (at the time) about infringing IP.

I think the site was called Small Battles, and iirc it had a good tutorial. go google :)

·
UnderWater Ninja-Tiger ..
785 Posts
First off, those people need to die in a fire. Secondly, you can model the pod with the doors glued closed. Therefore, it can be either.

If I really wanted a Dread Pod, then I would still use the GW drop pod and not include the center console, or the harnesses. It would be pretty vacant and boring. And still not be "big" enough.

For that matter, try putting more than 4 models in a rhino, or 3 models in an ork trukk. Your WYSIWYG people complaining about Drop Pod logistics are just plain idiotic.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Personally I use the current plastic ones, never can accumulate enough cash to buy the resin ones since there's always something else to buy at our game shops. I've never personally seen a proper comparison between the two drop pod versions, so I can't vouch for size difference, but here's something to consider. GW models are normally the ones that are made for the main game, while Forge World ones are usually test concepts. As such, I prefer GW's version of the pod even if it is smaller, since I feel that it was launched with current 40K standards in mind.

In any case, I doubt anyone should be making too much of a fuss over either drop pod model, as they're both supposed to be legitimate versions. If anyone does complain, we should print out Xpyre35's response and give it to them :sinister:

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Firaya, I'm pretty sure theres a pretty big difference.

And FW isn't quite there just for Prototypes, its onyl been recently that GW has been taking FW kits and making them Plastic and more accessible to the average gamer.

But in the end, there is a difference, but I figure I can make it look plausible in teh same "Rhinos carry 10 Space Marines" Pausible.

Mike

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mmmm that's what you get for trying to answer questions while your office blocks "gaming sites". Those pictures really show why your question is valid, but I think most of us will agree that we should allow current GW Drop Pods to count as Dreadnought Drop Pods as well. That is, until they actually make a plastic Dreadnought Drop Pod :clap:

·
3 Getrudes
1,710 Posts
I think most of us will agree that we should allow current GW Drop Pods to count as Dreadnought Drop Pods as well. That is, until they actually make a plastic Dreadnought Drop Pod :clap:
This is the most sensible thing to do. If people want to complain that my DreadPod isn't big enough to be a DreadPod, they can either come to my house and convert one for me while I'm doing whatever else it is I do that takes up 10 of my daily hours, or they can go and play someone else.

The Dread won't fit in the Pod, sure, but how the hell do you get 16 power armoured giants into the tiny teeny little space inside a Land Raider Crusader? Nobody complains about that, do they?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nice model, but as I see it completely unnecessary. Wish I had one, I love Dreads, and a working pod for one is like icing for me. But to be frank the rule book says can take a drop pod, not can take a dreadnought drop pod. Until GW starts differentiating, or says this pod will not hold a Dread nobody can say anything against it really. And really, FW stuff has always been extra. IF you want to go the extra mile or make sure your army looks cool with some extra realism then you can turn to FW.

It's more a money for realism than a pay to play type of thing.

·
991 Posts
Before GW released their model I had several other types of drop pods that were all closed and it was never an issue. I now have 4 of the GW drop pods and I modeled one of them with the center console removed and I use it to deploy a dreadnought. Some people my say it is a problem because the pod is too small for the dread to fit inside but I say rubbish. The model is only a representative of the vehicle. Have you ever tried to fit ten space marines inside a rhino? How about a putting terminators inside a landraider. They don't fit and they don't have too. Few of the models in the game are in a realistic scale, particularly the vehicles.
I love the GW drop pod models. I will be collecting more, I am sure...Most of the tournaments in my area do not require GW/Citadel models. I can still use my off-brand drop pods and everybody understands...I play once or twice a week in friendly games and in those games it is even more relaxed.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
I would make my own in either case. Drop pods are easy enough to model (a Dread Pod would be even easier, with fewer buttresses) and I can't stand the "open doors" drop pod kit out now...players keep wanting to define pod size as including the doors, so they can put a dinner plate with cover save on every objective...ugh. And it's hard to balance models on them. Just go with the Peanut Butter Jar Express, I say (and, if you're as lazy as me, name your Dreads Jif and Skippy).

Reactions: seismic

·
Registered
502 Posts
Until I saw this thread, I had no idea there were Dreadnought specific drop pods. People who object to a normal one can shut the heck up.

·
404: Title not found
2,845 Posts
GW Drop Pods clearly do not fit Dreadnoughts! I always use the FW one no matter what. If someone tried to use a GW drop pod for a dreadnought against me in a battle I would let them though.

~ DiW

·
Registered
217 Posts
Reactions: ShotgunFacelift

·
Registered
203 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts