Dreadnaught Multi Melta Drop Pod

Troops
10 Tactical Marines Multi Melta Meltagun Sergeant Power Fist Drop Pod

10 Tactical Marines Missile Launcher Meltagun Sergeant Power Weapon Drop Pod

10 Tactical Marines Multi Melta Meltagun Sergeant Power Fist Drop Pod

Fast Attack
2 Land Speeder Typhoons Heavy Bolters

Heavy Support
Ironclad Dreadnaught Seismic Hammer Heavy Flamer Heavy Flamer Drop Pod Deathwind Launcher

Ironclad Dreadnaught Seismic Hammer Hurricane Bolter Heavy Flamer Drop Pod

Ironclad Dreadnaught Seismic Hammer Storm Bolter Meltagun Two Hunter Killer Missiles Drop Pod

TOTAL 2000
The basic strategy with this list is pretty much to overwhelm my opponent with the amount of dreads (5) that I can bring down on the first turn, to pretty much distract his army or even annihilate large section of it at a time. My first wave would consist of all three Ironclad Dreadnaughts, and the two with the multi meltas, while my Land Speeders patiently wait on the table, either in plain sight ready to start bllazing away if I get first turn, or behind cover waiting to pop out the second my Dreadnaughts touch down ready to take some of the heat off of the fragile skimmers. I would expect vry few veichles would be able to survive this preliminary 1st turn strike followed by the 2nd turn charge of the remaining dreads. Meanwhile the rest of my army should slowly arrive ready to take up defensive positions on objectives and such and start to blaze away at the remains of my opponent, except of course my last Dread who will be ready to get stuck in at the first opportunity.

·
Formerly Prince of Excess
3,560 Posts
Damn you for using so many fonts and such so I can't quote easily.

MotF should have a Conversion Beam on a Bike ideally.

Give all the Drop Dreads MMs and possibly HFs. Not a big fan of Venerables, I'd rather have Extra Armor on 3 regulars.

The Tacticals seem fine, a MM or ML would be more useful than a HB I imagine.

Land Speeders with MM/HF seem to be a very good, cheap combo. No matter what I'd try to make them all the same, redundancy is always a smart idea.

I'm not sold on Ironclads, you could save points with regular Dreads, same as your Elites and lose nothing major. They'll still be good in CC, good shooters, all you love is a point of armor which isn't a huge deal. You could spend the points on a Scout squad to hold your side, something your army would suffer with right now.

Reactions: Mr. Biscuits

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Damn you for using so many fonts and such so I can't quote easily.

MotF should have a Conversion Beam on a Bike ideally.

Give all the Drop Dreads MMs and possibly HFs. Not a big fan of Venerables, I'd rather have Extra Armor on 3 regulars.

The Tacticals seem fine, a MM or ML would be more useful than a HB I imagine.

Land Speeders with MM/HF seem to be a very good, cheap combo. No matter what I'd try to make them all the same, redundancy is always a smart idea.

I'm not sold on Ironclads, you could save points with regular Dreads, same as your Elites and lose nothing major. They'll still be good in CC, good shooters, all you love is a point of armor which isn't a huge deal. You could spend the points on a Scout squad to hold your side, something your army would suffer with right now.
Taking your advice into account I hanged a few thing around. Firstly regarding changing my Land Speeders to all match has been employed, although I am unsure whether to leave them as one unit or divide into three smaller ones.

The Conversion Beamer idea would not fit well with my army, same with the scouts as it would just be too easy of a tasrget too early on in the game and could very well be dealt with before I get too Deep Strike my Dreadnaughts in for support.

I changed the last Tactical Squads heavy weapon to a Missile Launcher as you suugested, which would've been a multi melta to start with had I possessed a third :p

Anyways thanks for the help rep for you!

P.S.
I have an extra 30 points to spend now, what should I do with it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm a big fan of dread drop armies. For my 2k list this is what i usually run

HQ: 225
Master of the forge: 100
Librarian: terminator armour: 125 (gate to infinity, null zone or force shield)

Elites: 615
Ironclad dreadnought: heavy flamer, drop pod with locator beacon: 190
Ironclad dreadnought: heavy flamer, drop pod with locator beacon: 190
Sternguard: X6, X2 combi-flamer, X3 combi-melta, power fist, drop pod: 235

Troops: 700
Tactical squad: X10, power fist, flamer, missile launcher or multi-melta, drop pod: 230
Tactical squad: X10, power fist, meltagun, missile launcher or multi-melta, drop pod: 235
Tactical squad: X10, power fist, meltagun, missile launcher or multi-melta, drop pod: 235

Heavy flamer: 460
Dreadnought: assault cannon, heavy flamer, drop pod with locator beacon: 160
Dreadnought: multi-melta, heavy flamer, drop pod: 150
Dreadnought: multi-melta, heavy flamer, drop pod: 150

i have some deviance from you as i prefer to run sternguards and such other small details,

I see some problems in your list:

1) (10 Tactical Marines Missile Launcher Meltagun Sergeant Lightning Claw Drop Pod) this is illegal cant have a claw on a serg

2) (Ironclad Dreadnaught Seismic Hammer Hurricane Bolter Heavy Flamer Drop Pod) Why hurricane bolters there the worst things that you ran put on the ironclad. You lose 1A in cc and you lose the meltagun. For what 6 bolter shots at 12 inches.

3) you mention the the overall stategy that one dread is venerable is this true? if so i would down grade it to a normal one to save points. Combine with the points that you saved elsewhere you could get another landspeeder and some locator beacons

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
personally i think all 1500 point armies especially 2000 point armies need 4 troops choices to be competitive. In 2k games 5 is manditory i feel. Also i agree with PoE with the dreadnoughts and i feel that another librarian instead of the MOTF would be better especially with the cover save. I have not looked throught eh SM codex through and through. So my help is limited.
thanks
antique_nova

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a big fan of dread drop armies. For my 2k list this is what i usually run

I see some problems in your list:

1) (10 Tactical Marines Missile Launcher Meltagun Sergeant Lightning Claw Drop Pod) this is illegal cant have a claw on a serg

2) (Ironclad Dreadnaught Seismic Hammer Hurricane Bolter Heavy Flamer Drop Pod) Why hurricane bolters there the worst things that you ran put on the ironclad. You lose 1A in cc and you lose the meltagun. For what 6 bolter shots at 12 inches.

3) you mention the the overall stategy that one dread is venerable is this true? if so i would down grade it to a normal one to save points. Combine with the points that you saved elsewhere you could get another landspeeder and some locator beacons
1) Right you are, an honest mistaken I swear:sinister:

2) I can see your point with the hurricane bolters, but on my first turn I already have the firepower of 2 multi meltas a meltagun and 4 missile launcher shots, plus an the effect of five dreadnaughts charging on the second turn so I thought I would easily have enough anti-tank for most needs. What I would not have as much of is anti infantry que the hurricane bolter.

3) Oops I forgot to change that after I revised my list, and dropped it down to a normal dready with a multi melta.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
personally i think all 1500 point armies especially 2000 point armies need 4 troops choices to be competitive. In 2k games 5 is manditory i feel. Also i agree with PoE with the dreadnoughts and i feel that another librarian instead of the MOTF would be better especially with the cover save. I have not looked throught eh SM codex through and through. So my help is limited.
thanks
antique_nova
you ask me for help, then you ignore it...pfft lol ;). only joking ^^.
Well, combat squadding gives me 6 scoring units with your mandatory of five, who shouldn't be taking too much fire as 6 dreads is a considerable distraction to just about any opponent and dropping the MoTF isn't an option as he's the character that lets me take a full 6 dreads instead of just three.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
or. also have you thought about how vunlerable you are to melta/plasma squad spamming?
I forgot about the combat squad tactic ^^.
thanks
antique_nova

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.