Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a bit of thinking as to which Heavy Support option would be better. I'm leaning towards the Dreadnought for a few reasons:

- Side armor 13 as opposed to 12 using Mutated Hull (tanks can be flanked easily)
- Sponson Lascannons do little good if you move at all
- A dread with cc weapon is very effective in cc
- Easier to hide a dread in cover than a tank
- Slightly cheaper

Anyone disagree?

·
908 Posts
Laplace said:
Did a bit of thinking as to which Heavy Support option would be better. I'm leaning towards the Dreadnought for a few reasons:

- Side armor 13 as opposed to 12 using Mutated Hull (tanks can be flanked easily)
- Sponson Lascannons do little good if you move at all
- A dread with cc weapon is very effective in cc
- Easier to hide a dread in cover than a tank
- Slightly cheaper

Anyone disagree?
I agree completely. They are also WAY cooler looking, more fluffy, and, most importantly...

THEY ARE NOT JUST RHINO'S WITH A TURRET ON TOP!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Dreads are cool, but you'll get a more effective base of firepower with the predator.

That having been said you are playing World Eaters.... you've got the cc angle covered already, so it's probably not the end of the world if you can't put 1 more unit into close combat. Predators also aren't subject to the frenzy rules, which means a predator will always fire when you want it to, instead of having a 1/3 chance of just running forward. Predators also really don't need to move too much, just get into LOS and stay there, and it's armor is heavy enough that it can take a thrashing. Don't forget the possibility of a defiler too if you're looking for some heavy support, the battle cannon with indirect fire could be quite helpful (Especially for popping basilisks, wiping out counter charge units before your lines get there, or ripping holes in ork mobs).

Of course, you could just do what I do, and don't take any HS in favor of aspiring champions with meltabombs, which works wonders (especially on my bikes)

·
LO's unofficial Jester
3,412 Posts
Dreadnought everytime, I don't care about any namby pamby explanations or reasoning with needing fire support get that dreadnought (actually get three but anyway) give it another CC weapon and CHARGE!!!!!!!!

Blood for the Blood God.

But seriously, if you take a predator it will actually attract more fire than a dreadnought simply because it is the one thing in your army that can fire back, a dreadnought on the other hand is just another CC monster in an army of CC monsters and may avoid attention.

Although a predator may help you against fast moving armies such as eldar skimmers it won't be much use. Not only do you have to get it in position hit and destroy your target (no mean feat) you then have to make sure that you aren't identified and destroyed as a primary threat. I am of the view that maximising your strength takes priority over bolstering your weaknesses, WE strength is CC so maximise it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ubernyaw said:
Of course, you could just do what I do, and don't take any HS in favor of aspiring champions with meltabombs, which works wonders (especially on my bikes)
The weakness there is that skimmers will be very tough to take down. You still need to hit normaly when using grendades.

If you can eliminate (or reduce) your weakness, you'll be better off in the long end. Putting all your eggs in one basket is a surefire way to lose once your oponents figure out how to counter it.

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,150 Posts
Dread: extra DCCW, Extra Armor, Parasitic posession, Destroyer, Smoke launchers(Fire on the first turn).

Thats 143 points, and the thing is more than capable of taking the heat that will inevitably be fired at it whilst making its way forward. If you get lucky and BR then you'll probably make combat with something on turn 2, three at the lastest. Plenty of time to make your points chewing up infantry or squishing a character.

·
Registered
773 Posts
My vote goes for the predator. Never underestimate the ability to have 3 lascannons firing at a vehicle/terminator squad/hive tyrant. I usually take two preds kitted with lascannons. My philosophy is: If you like something, take em' in pairs in case one gets fragged. It'll also make the fighting easier for your beserkers if you got one less hive tyrant to kill in CC.

I've never been a fan of dreadnaughts. they're generally fragile (unless you spend an ungodly ammount of points on mutated hull), they don't have enough attacks in CC to justify their points (you'll kill maybe 2-3 models in each round of CC...which is not that marvelous against most armies). And they're slow as hell (worldeaters are slightly faster though if the dice gods are on your side).

·
LO's unofficial Jester
3,412 Posts
Neferata said:
My vote goes for the predator. Never underestimate the ability to have 3 lascannons firing at a vehicle/terminator squad/hive tyrant. I usually take two preds kitted with lascannons. My philosophy is: If you like something, take em' in pairs in case one gets fragged. It'll also make the fighting easier for your beserkers if you got one less hive tyrant to kill in CC.

I've never been a fan of dreadnaughts. they're generally fragile (unless you spend an ungodly ammount of points on mutated hull), they don't have enough attacks in CC to justify their points (you'll kill maybe 2-3 models in each round of CC...which is not that marvelous against most armies). And they're slow as hell (worldeaters are slightly faster though if the dice gods are on your side).

Hmm I am not so sure I agree, granted in theory taking the predator would fill in the vital role of fire support but I thinking bringing it to bear and making it survive long enough to do some damage is just too much of a chore.

As for the dreadnought I actually think that the points you spend are recouperated on it and its the targets you choose, you don't go for the normal Infantry choices but for the heavyier units Terminators opposition dreadnoughts etc. It may only have 4 or five attacks but at a very high st (8? can't remember haven't got my codex with me).

·
Registered
598 Posts
shoottokill said:
Destroyer Dreads (Khorne) Blood Frenzy on a roll of 1 or 2. CHARGE!!!!
And there goes your lascannon fire that round, charging into a mass of worthless infantry to be tied up for 3 turns, while your berzerkers that should have been going into that squad now have to get shot at for another 2 turns by that Leman Russ Demolisher that's going unpunished, because your anti-tank ace in the hole is fighting guardsmen instead.

Soviet_Tau_Commander said:
The weakness there is that skimmers will be very tough to take down. You still need to hit normaly when using grendades.

If you can eliminate (or reduce) your weakness, you'll be better off in the long end. Putting all your eggs in one basket is a surefire way to lose once your oponents figure out how to counter it.
That is the major issue with my list, but as I usually play Orks, Kroot Mercs (I know... who the hell plays kroot?) and some perversion of my Imperial Guard army hijacked by my friend. 2 of the 3 lists have a lot of long range armor but none of the armies even have a skimmer, so it doesn't come up often.

My group doesn't have any (dark) eldar players, and I don't play the Tau guy very often, so I've never had much an issue with this, but what makes my way so much fun is that while I am putting my eggs in one basket, I'm about 8 of these 8 wound eggs into a very sturdy basket.

In the past, my solution for skimmers is either a) lucky hit with AS (it happens) b) lord, bike, dark blade, or c) bloodthirster although as stated before, I don't face many skimmers, and none of these are capable of bringing down a monolith. (But like a screaming 6 year old, it will eventually sit down and shut up if you ignore it enough). Once my friend starts his eldar army I may bring either a pair of defilers or a pair of predators to deal with all the floating crap, but for now it works.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ubernyaw said:
And there goes your lascannon fire that round, charging into a mass of worthless infantry to be tied up for 3 turns, while your berzerkers that should have been going into that squad now have to get shot at for another 2 turns by that Leman Russ Demolisher that's going unpunished, because your anti-tank ace in the hole is fighting guardsmen instead.
I'm talking about this dread:

" Dread: extra DCCW, Extra Armor, Parasitic posession, Destroyer, Smoke launchers"

Thus not losing a single lascannon attack. That's what the tank is for ;)

·
Registered
598 Posts
shoottokill said:
I'm talking about this dread:

" Dread: extra DCCW, Extra Armor, Parasitic posession, Destroyer, Smoke launchers"

Thus not losing a single lascannon attack. That's what the tank is for ;)
that's totally unnecessary, a dp on a bike is faster, costs less, works better, and doesn't get "crew stunned" at all the worst time. And that still leaves you without a strong anti-tank platform.

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,150 Posts
that's totally unnecessary, a dp on a bike is faster, costs less, works better, and doesn't get "crew stunned" at all the worst time. And that still leaves you without a strong anti-tank platform.
A Dp on a bike also takes an HQ slot. And this dread doesn't get crew stunned.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Sabe said:
A Dp on a bike also takes an HQ slot. And this dread doesn't get crew stunned.
fine, then a bike squad as, to take up a fast attack, and either way it's faster then the dread, and has more attacks, and is cheaper.

Reactions: Sabrewulf

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
Take the dreads! Stick havoc launchers on them, with lascannons, and take a Dread Weapon. Very versatile, cannot go wrong since you have range for killing squads and vehicles, then CC power.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.