Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Fury of the Ages
Joined
·
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day everyone,
I have just brought a dreadnought model and have received my GK bits from Forgeworld :yes: very happy :yes: as well as an assault drill and plasma cannon. The assault drill is just amazing, really adds a sense of life to it as it is very posable.

I have been wondering whether people field them and how they set them up? Having Tyranids as well as DH (and having fought against Dreads a lot), I would think to stay away from using them because I have been able to tkae them down fairly easily in the past, but that is with lots of things that can tear through AV12.

At the moment my thoughts are firesupport but I just wanted to see what everyone else thought.
Cheers!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
If you are playing pure or mostly DH dreads are sadly the only real way to get any heavy weapons other than fielding a Land Raider (Crusader). So fielding one (more like 2-3) is kind of obligatory in most cases.

Basically they need to be deployed as far back as possible and behind cover so that if you lose the dice roll they won't get shot at on turn 1. Fortunately, they can move up to 6" and shoot everything they have.

Yeah, their armor isn't great and there's a decent chance that a hit will make them not shoot on turn 2, so you basically save that first dread shot for when you need it. If you outfit it with a TL Lascan and Missile combo you will do damage to something. And you field 2-3 dreads your opponent has to pick and choose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
The key is to field more than one. IMO if you are fielding ANY vehicles you must field at least three. Fielding a single dread is like giving your opponent victory points. I'll keep shooting it until it's dead. But if there's three of them that's another story.
 

·
Fury of the Ages
Joined
·
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I hadn't ever really thought about that, but when playing against them in the past having more was often quite a bit harder to deal with...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,919 Posts
Indeed - the key is dilution of fire. If your opponent has to target multiple vehicles and split his fire, he can't really do an effective number on them.

The cardinal rule is: Take a several or don't bother.

Typically the best configuration I believe is Assault Cannon + DCCW - cheap and effective. However as DH I'm sure you know that there is a real problem area for DH - anti-tank. The Assault Cannon is good for Rending, but not for range. If you want to solve your anti-tank problems with Dreads, it's got to be at least 2 both armed with Twin-Linked Lascannon.
 

·
durus
Joined
·
2,578 Posts
I play with at least two, usually both TLLC/ML variants, but sometimes I take an AC and CCW.

I love the AC's now, but the range is what hurts.

The last time I took an AC/CCW variant, I was able to hold off an enemy Space Marines left flank (stwo squads with Plasma Cannons) by itself.
 

·
Fury of the Ages
Joined
·
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wouldn't it be better to use the auto cannon option? Higher strength but one less shot and double the range...

And from this topic, does anyone use the new SM codex versions for the weaponry? eg. an SM AC is much more potent than a DH one... rending etc.... more shots...
I have been using our codex version for this even though it is weaker because I would assume it to be better balanced and wouldn't put an opponent at a disadvantage

Any thoughts?
 

·
LO Zealot
Joined
·
1,692 Posts
Solo said:
Wouldn't it be better to use the auto cannon option? Higher strength but one less shot and double the range...

And from this topic, does anyone use the new SM codex versions for the weaponry? eg. an SM AC is much more potent than a DH one... rending etc.... more shots...
I have been using our codex version for this even though it is weaker because I would assume it to be better balanced and wouldn't put an opponent at a disadvantage
We do use the new Space Marine stats for the Assault Cannon, the forge worlds wouldn't deliberately give mankind's best soldiers worse Assault cannons to 'balance them out':w00t:

Assault cannons on Dreads rock for several reasons-

1. 4 shots

2. Str 6

3. Rending

4. It' comes with the Dreadnought box.

5. Rending

1 Extra strength isn't going to matter much against infantry, who an assault cannon will wound on 2's anyway. Use lascannons for anything bigger. And that's why we all put assault cannons on our dreads.:)
 

·
Fury of the Ages
Joined
·
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My friend, that is music to my ears... I've got the SM new codex so I'm good for that.

Another question in all this is what sort of minimum points would you use before including a dreadnought?
 

·
LO Zealot
Joined
·
1,692 Posts
Solo said:
My friend, that is music to my ears... I've got the SM new codex so I'm good for that.

Another question in all this is what sort of minimum points would you use before including a dreadnought?
I have 2 in my 1000 point list.

Hell, I'd even take one in 500 points.

It's the first thing I'd take after fulfilling HQ and 2 troops.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
515 Posts
I take 3 X Dreads.

1. TL Las and missle
2. AC and missle
3. AC and missle

That way I have longe range available on all the dreads. True, missles are strength 8, but I have 8 rending shots (2 X AC's), 3 missles (krak or frag) and 1 las cannon. I like that as a little more balanced firepower. It has excellent anti-infanty, good ranges and can threaten most armor.

This is a tourney list......when you don't know who you will be against.
 
Joined
·
47 Posts
That is an exelent choise for a tourny list! ill tell ya myself. Assault cannons are the mortal manifestations of anti infantry/light vehicles. unfortunately i dont take em with PF cause i need them for fire support. 2-3 dreds is daunting for the foes of mankind. i got some freinds in my neighborhood into 40k recently and we do tounry's with just us 4. i play space wolves guard and eldar, my dred gets shot up pretty bad but almost always takes something with him, though in the 500 pt touny's we play i take ML/AC cause i dont face too mush heavy armor accept for the odd ruse the wolves/guard will throw at me. you set up will be very efficient accept for you enemies making the TL/ML dred a higher priority than the other, maybe take 2 ML/TL dreds and a AC/ML dred.

-The Architect of the Penitent
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
Romulus said:
I take 3 X Dreads.

1. TL Las and missle
2. AC and missle
3. AC and missle

That way I have longe range available on all the dreads. True, missles are strength 8, but I have 8 rending shots (2 X AC's), 3 missles (krak or frag) and 1 las cannon. I like that as a little more balanced firepower. It has excellent anti-infanty, good ranges and can threaten most armor.

This is a tourney list......when you don't know who you will be against.
The DH Codex says that the Assault Cannon is Heavy 3 (also doesn't say anything about rending).

Is this yet another example of the "Since it uses the SM weapons it's really 4 shots" (like the Machine Spirit issue) or is it just 3 shots?
 

·
I am a free man!
Joined
·
4,941 Posts
Laplace said:
The DH Codex says that the Assault Cannon is Heavy 3 (also doesn't say anything about rending).

Is this yet another example of the "Since it uses the SM weapons it's really 4 shots" (like the Machine Spirit issue) or is it just 3 shots?
Yepperdoodle. See this thread for discussion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
648 Posts
dreadnoughts die easy from bad placement on the field but you can usually use that superior range of a lascannon to take something with u.....I don;t use an AC because my termis already field two but for DH it may be recommended unless u can't find a tankbuster..... have both GK and SM so I'm fine.

placement ideas: behind some impenetrable cover.....and maybe u can bait the enemy with a termi squad to take the fire instead....mind tricks work when they are moving up the field killing a lot of weak armored troops so that your dreadnought won;t seem so threatening.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top