Librarium Online Forums banner

What's your Favourite Standard Dreadnought layout

• Anti Tank Firesupport (TL LC + ML)

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Tank Hunter (MM and CCW)

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Anti Infantry Firesupport (A.C. and ML)

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Infantry Hunter (A.C and CCW/flamer)

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • Close Combat Beast (2x CCW)

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I don't take Standard Dreads!

Votes: 6 9.5%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a Dreadnought from 4th Ed with A.C. and CCW w. Stm Bltr.
Was considering getting another one with a different loadout, just wanted to judge peoples favourite weapon loadouts.

Any comments on why you prefer different roles for Dreadnought much appreciated.

I use mine as advancing fire support, then run up to closest big nasty to rip its heart out! I get shot down a bit but its fun to watch it roam across the board!

·
Registered
495 Posts
AC/CCW/HF are my weapon of choice. It probably stems from the fact that its my Bjorn the Fell Handed model from years ago. Mowing down infantry is its job, but it can take out a vehicle as well in CC.
Of course, for apocolypse games, I pull out my Siege Dred with the Inferno Cannon. A 24" Flame template like the old Hellhound? Yes please!

·
UnderWater Ninja-Tiger ..
785 Posts
In my experience the only Dread that has always over performed has been my stock MM/CCW hvy Flamer Dread, in a Drop Pod.

1st turn: largest vehicle threat, nullified. The most consistent unit I've ever had.

·
Registered
405 Posts
DCCW/HF and Assault cannon, purely because it is THE best anti nid weapon layout. This has one me more battles than any other model.

One game my mate brought along 1 carnifex in an swarmy army. DP dreadnought, Shot carnie with assault cannon - 1 wound off. Charged into combat - dead. Mopped the rest up with flamer templates

·
Registered
350 Posts
It depends what gap in your army you need filled. If you need more Anti-tank, a TL-Las + ML dread performs its job very well. If you need more anti- infantry, running an assault cannon / CCW heavy flamer works wonders.

I would suggest, that unless you plan on long range fighting only (as in TL-las + ML) you keep the CCW. When things devolve into CC (as it always does) having that arm is very useful.

I personally like the Assault cannon / CCW heavy flamer loadout. I like it in drop pods at the start for wreaking havoc on some infantry teams in the back, and I like it for later when it can single handedly crush infantry units in a turn or 2.
A close second in the TL-las / ML combo, which I take as well for the heavy long range support it gives me.
In actuality I usually end up wit both these dreads in my army, the AC one in a pod and the TL-las one back at my line doing some tank stopping.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Assault cannon, but with storm bolter instead of heavy flamer. I prefer the range.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
My choice isn't even on there: 2 twin linked autocannons, perfect for shredding transports and other light vehiles.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I voted for the Assault cannon and CCW stormbolter/heavy flamer anti infantry type. It's the classic look for the dreadnought.

But black templars have a really nice anti tank dread. A venerable with twin las, missiles, and the tank hunter skill. Strength 10 on AP roll etc. Don't have one though.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I voted for the Assault cannon and CCW stormbolter/heavy flamer anti infantry type. It's the classic look for the dreadnought.

But black templars have a really nice anti tank dread. A venerable with twin las, missiles, and the tank hunter skill. Strength 10 on AP roll etc. Don't have one though.
That Black Templars DN is probably the only type I would put over the assault cannon + ccarm/hf one. It is so good for tank hunting it is kinda crazy. Makes hunting LRs and Monoliths much more reasonable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would say MM, HF combination, supported with a Ironclad with Melta and HF coming down on first turn in drop pods.

·
Registered
825 Posts
In my experience the only Dread that has always over performed has been my stock MM/CCW hvy Flamer Dread, in a Drop Pod.

1st turn: largest vehicle threat, nullified. The most consistent unit I've ever had.
I'd have to agree. I've used Dreadnoughts to great effect this way and have had it used well against me also.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think that generaly predators have better antiinfantry potentional, tacticals are better in antiinfantry, sterguard are nice against 3+ as etc. Generaly every unit are sligtly better at something. Dreads are really equally usable in antiinfantry or anittank or both. They have simply much interesting choice of weapons combinations and thats why they are good units not borring chaos combiplasma termies everytime.

·
Registered
237 Posts
MM/DCCW is pretty good for the price but i reaqly really like a drea kitted out with assault cannon and auto cannon really really good(espeacially against orks and nids) also if u like big nasty machine with lots of guns its awesome

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'll be the lone voice for the 2x CCW since I'm a Blood Angels player. I've only used him once as a Venerable Death Company version and it preformed admirably against Nids. He actually shot at me and got 2 pens, a wrecked and explosion, and I made him reroll (as a Venerable) and came up with a 1 and 2, so he survived. Then he charged with his Genestealers thinking he'd rend it to death, but every turn nothing got through and I crushed em down to 3 stealers but then the game ended.

The Venerable Furioso Death Company is a huge point sink but is just so awesome on paper. If it's near Dante and Carbulo it could possibly have 7 attacks on the charge at I5 S10 with preferred enemy. Buh what?! O_O

But I know that will be very rare and he will get shot up at range, so I've already shot that idea in the foot, so no need for people to point that out. ;-)

·
Registered
313 Posts
From the standard Dreads, my favorite build is a heavy infantry/light-medium vehicle hunter with ML/Plasma Cannon combo. It munches through transports and even Terminators like hot knife through butter, and even puts some considerable pain on monstrous creatures.

Sharing the first place as favorite is the "standard" Dread with AC/CCW+flamer. Well-rounded, can and will hurt both hordes and tough tanks (usually this build is my venerable dread, but with the new SW codex the Dread I have kitted like this will probably end up representing Bjorn... As soon as I get over my distaste for special characters ;P )

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use the AC/DCCW HF combo. Firs of all, because its Bjorn the Fell Handed, and secondly, I use it in a drop pod to bolster troops when things get a bit pair shaped, or to draw attention away from a particular squad that might be character or objective hunting.

I do plan on adding a second dreadnaught though, probably with a dual long range capability, haven't decided yet.

Its a shame SW can't access the dual DCCW dreadnaught the Blood Angels have going on, well I presume they still do, I havent picked up a BA codex for years :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts