Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am not a Space Marine player (well that is a lie if you count Chaos space marines), but I was reading through the codex and saw that Dreadnoughts can come in via Drop pods. I have yet to see anyone do that and just wondering if it really a viable option?

·
No Rest For the Righteous
1,140 Posts
I tried it once during 4th edition, ended up scattering badly and landing in beween two enemy (SM) infantry squads in the middle of the game. They destroyed his power fist and left him shaken as soon as he arrived. He had little effect on the outcome and I found myself wishing I had deployed him on foot, using him for cover.

I haven't tried it again since, not because I am apposed, but because I just never have. Maybe its time to try it again eh?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I prefer some Infantry in my drop pod personally.

I'm sure you can build a viable list with Dreadnoughts in pods. However, the problem i see in this is that the tactical advantage in doing so is minimal, and the risk taken is high. If I'm planning on Podding some dreadnoughts, they'll take on 2 possible function with very distinct weaponry.

First, you could aim for an anti armored strategy : Single shots at close range or multiple salvos at side/rear armor. The close range option will place your dreadnought at higher risk should your shots fail. Your proximity to your enemy means he'll get the same advantage against your dread, as your dread has against his vehicles. The second option can give a marginal benefit, but nothing proper deployment can't procure , saving you a few points.

The second podding option is to go in for troops. Trading your meltas and rending shots for flames, Plasma cannons. Again, the proximity needed to fire flamers will procure some advantage to your opponent: Within a movement phase , he can target your dread's rear armor, or take full advantage of the melta rule. For this to be successful, you must also have some troops to flame at, which isn't always guaranteed. Adding some long range anti-personel weaponry, and you fall back to the fact that proper deployment would have done just a good a job.

Planning to assault with your dread is ill advised, since you cannot do so after deployment from a drop pod. You could, however, position your dread as a counter measure to possible assault at other drop podded units you have. But by this point , the field may be too much of a clusterf*** to have any significant advantage.

In short, you can build a strategy with drop podding dreads. But taken singularly, its armaments, functions and flaws makes it precarious to work with.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's a very viable option as it gets your dreads up close quickly and early on in the game (drop pod assault) and can let you place a nice melta or heavy flamer shot depending on type/weapon configuration. Personally it is the only way i would run a dreadnought because they aren't very quick and I like ironclads over the others though for a shooty dread you would need a pod.

·
No Rest For the Righteous
1,140 Posts
Yes. an ironclad or venerable in a drop pod could be really vicious... I have seen them weather alot of punishment and still make it across alot of the table, so right out of a drop pod they should rampage.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
They work well, the drop pod assault rules and the safe landings (forget the nme of the rule) combine to put a powerful unit in your opponents face from the get go, numerous pods can easily provide your main army with cover or simply put your opponent on the back foot.

Even the large amounts of fire power my IG force has struggles to neutralies the dreads, and tactical squads, and there's usually 3 of them max coming down like this. With the locator beacons guiding down more reserves and deathwid launchers slaughtering my infantry. Remember though, when you face locator beacons, teleport homers and the like: Often they can be used to the benefit of both players.

When you use drop podding dreads, (and other units) make sure to give them some melta weapons, the pod will stop them from having mishaps while the meltas land right in melta range of a rear or side armour. Dreadnoughts also have the advantage of raised weapons, their gun is often higher than any infantry, especially if you disembark it on one of the pods ramps. This can help deny the enemy vehicle cover saves.

So drop podding dreadnoughts are a big + in my books.

Edit: When I started my post the above 3 posts had not been made

The Emperor Protects

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have played against Dreds a fair number of times and have always been amazed out how much crap they can take. I see Drop podding a Dred deep into the opposing players territory doing two things.

1) It pretty much forces your opponent to take action towards removing the Dred a it is a big threat and with some luck drawing a bit of fire away from the rest of you're army.

2) Use the drop pod to contest objectives.

I would think that a venerable dred would be able to weather the storm pretty well with rerolls.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
In my last game I podded in a venerable dread in front of a combined guard platoon and a squad of Grey Knights in Power Armour. The heavy flamer cut a big hole in the infantry mass, and my opponent wound up having to spend 4 full turns with his grey knights in close combat with my dread before it finally died.

·
Registered
825 Posts
It's done well for me the times I've used it. As someone else said it forces your opponent to deal with them immediately. It's by far one of the best ways to deliver your Dreadnoughts into the thick of it.

Also, I've nuked Land raiders first turn with a standard Dreadnought with MM. It's always nice to make back double the points of a unit right off the bat. :)

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
I deploy my DCCW/HF/MM Venerable Dread and my twin HF Ironclads in pods, and it's never failed to make an impression.

The Venerable is dangerous to everything when it drops - the Multimelta can easily cripple a tank, and the Heavy Flamer is a lethal infantry killer with a chance to hurt a tank too if you catch the rear armour. You can land wherever you like and still be able to make a mess.

The Ironclad is not a subtle tool at all. Drop onto an infantry squad and proceed to obliterate it with massed HF templates. Beat whatever's left into the ground. Repeat as necessary. With their incredible troop killing prowess, boosted armour and assault capabilities, HF Ironclads are a massive threat when they're dropped into enemy lines. Against lighter armies like Guard, Eldar and non-nidzilla Tyranids, one or two Ironclads can quite easily tear the heart out of their army if they don't run into any dedicated tank killing units. (fear Fire Dragons!!)

·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just for fun, what different type of Dreadnoughts would you use to drop pod? A venerable deep behaind enemy lines sounds as if it take a lick'n and keep on tick'n. A MM/HF setup seems to be the way to go, but does anyone else use a different weapons setup?

·
1,648 Posts
Hey all, chipping in from the peanut gallery from the IG point of view. I've had drop-poding dreads used against me a few times (both standard and ironclad, but not a venerable yet).

Can't say that I've been overly impressed with the results. Each time its happend I've killed the dread my following turn. They do well in talking out those crucial tanks in lists that have them. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never really felt more than annoyance from them. One chimera killed (if you do manage to kill a leman russ with deepstrike, the guard player did not know how to deploy or you have amazing placement).

Against other lists with raiders or battlewagons that carry scary things in them it can work wonders, just don't expect the dread to live long. I'd just use the standard dread with MM. Cheap and will most likely kill a vehicle when it drops.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Putting down a venerable dread is a whole different ball of wax - I can't begin to state the difference that the venerable rule makes in a dreads survivability. It's well worth the extra 60 points.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.