Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

So I dropped the money on the Space Marine Battle Company Big Box, and now I find myself trying to decide on a chapter. (No this isn't another "what chapter should I choose..." :party:

My question derived more from the multitude of deployment options at the disposal of the various chapters.

When using an army list that employs combat squads (which will probably be all of them eventually) is this compatible with drop pods.

For example:

A blood angels tactical squad with missile launcher, meltagun, and powerfist wielding sgt. purchases a drop pod.

Could they then deploy the missile launcher and 4 bolters in a good piece of cover, and put the Sgt., the meltagun, and the other 3 bolters in the drop pod to land later in the game?

Apologies if the answer to this is so simple that I missed it.

Thanks in advance,

TZ

·
is coming out to play
991 Posts
Your question is unclear to me. But if you want your guys to pick up weapons, no they can not. If you want to put those weapons in a Devastator squad, and drop pod them, then yes.
But missle-launchers in drop pods isn't the best idea unless you are dropping them back form the enemy.

·
ISIS Secret Agent Squishy
1,875 Posts
Actually, I think the question is :

Can I deploy half of a Marine FOC unit (ie a combat squad with missile launcher) in the initial deployment, and then have the other half of that Marine FOC unit (ie other combat squad with Sgt and plasma gun) Drop Pod to the board during the game.

I don't know the answer, although I suspect that when they update C:SM they'll have some kind of answer...but until then :?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Reserve

Well I think that I actually know this answer. In order to use a drop pod you need to hold the squad using it in reserve. It says in the Dark Angels codex (p23) that units held in reserve cannot use combat squads, and since you split them into their respective 5 man teams when deploying the selection you wouldn't be able to. I hope that came out clear enough. But in short no, you cannot have half of a tactical squad deploy using a drop pod and deploy the other half normally.

·
Advocatus Diaboli
4,571 Posts
welshie has it. The purchase of the drop pod means the squad goes into reserve, and you can only use the combat squad rule for units that are deployed on the table.

(Similarly, units with a 'normal' transport can't have half the squad on the table in escalation)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah ok thanks guys. 8Y

I missed the part about non-reserve units using combat squads. As I feared a simple answer that I overlooked.

Well back to the drawing board.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.