62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...i've set up my IG w/ the following Doctrines

Hardened Fighters
Iron Discipline
Die-Hards
Carapace Armour
and the all so annoying Drop Troops

i need some sort of Backpack to represent the drop troop feel, i tried taking off the wires and antenna's from the Vox Caster backpack but i just don't have enough, i was thinking about using SM backpacks but they're 2 bucks for 5 and i don't feel like spending all that money...does anyone have a less expensive solution, possibly backpacks from another game or company??

·
Registered
237 Posts
ummm...i guess i saw this in a wd but it was conversion of a drop pack from those smoke launchers from imperial tanks kits. i have heaps left over and many ppl do, ask around....but there was no reasl picture of how it was done, but i guess if u turn them up side down they look like a small rocket booster packl...but id unno, try it and foddle about a bit and it might work

·
Registered
377 Posts
You might be able to get away with using a different style of pack for each unit or, at the very least, each troop type. This might reduce the amount you need to buy...

·
Normal member Fox D:
3,469 Posts
Originally posted by drozzy@Sep 29 2003, 02:32
ummm...i guess i saw this in a wd but it was conversion of a drop pack from those smoke launchers from imperial tanks kits. i have heaps left over and many ppl do, ask around....but there was no reasl picture of how it was done, but i guess if u turn them up side down they look like a small rocket booster packl...but id unno, try it and foddle about a bit and it might work
Yes, it was in WD286.
But there wasn't a clear picture of one. But I can say its the newer smoke launcher. I.E The one you have to piece together. Not the Old, small ones you used to get in the old rhino boxes.

Plus the newer ones are about the right size IMO.

But don't know the cost of them I'm afriad.

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
make little parachutes out of twine and saranwrap, if you do it right they sometimes work too

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
That's a good one!
If you can get your hands on some of the old chaos space marine backpacks they can easily be converted to look like wings.
Just remember to remove the chaos star...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd rather not give my soldiers wings...either way i'm thinkign about just doing standard SM backpacks...if i put the shoulderpads over, it'd be too bulky...plus the SM backpacks look powerful enough to slowly drop a soldier to the ground....

·
Registered
237 Posts
if u want a few good lookin conversions use some of the flying stands into a hole on their original base and use the running legs horizontally and put some cotton wool or iron wool for exhaust fumes....mmmm

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I'd rather not give my soldiers wings
Ok not the wing type...
What I mean is to make something like a gravchute or hangglider or something...
I understand this will take big space on the battlefiled but at least it's an idea.

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
give them shovels and picks and have them tunnel up

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well. i've solved it, the SM backpacks were a bit large, not enabling me to put packs and knives and such...so this is what i did

i basically cut off everything below the red line, it looks great!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Anyone remember moles & termites from the old Epic games?

I'm trying (though it's tougher than i thought) to convert up 'emerging' Termites to cover the size of a blast template, for no other reason than to justify Deep Striking without having to buy any accursed Space Marines.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you don't have to buy Space Marines, that'd be a giant waste of money, just buy the Space Marine backpack sprues, at least thatz what i'm doing..

I personally don't like the idea of men digging from below, otherwise, i think thatz a great idea

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.