Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Drop Troop Veterans

Hello fellow imperial generals,

I am looking forward having a painting commission executed. I am a big fan of the Valkyrie/Vendetta model and would love to build my army around them. I love thematic and fluffly army lists over pure efficient ones. Having said that, I thought it would be fun to have one or more squads airdropping from those gunships.

Overall, my army strategy would be to have a static platoon covering my base, with one or 2 leman russes. I am building a catachan squad with Harker to help them out as well (I'm a big fan of the Dawn of War series and Catachans are just awesome in this game and it doesn't look too bad to have a different themed squad in the army, it adds flavor in my opinion). For my commission, I would like to have a very cool unit (or units?) to send airborne and have them clear then capture enemy objectives and/or backfield heavy support.

As they will be far from my lines and officers, I think it could make sense to include Bastonne with them (it's also very cool and fluffy). He could order the squad even deep into enemy territory which could get brutal (re-roll cover saves or bring it down comes to mind). I'll probably have a model converted to count as him in case I'd like to use him in some games. The rest of the squad will likely be Elysian drop troups.

Here's a link to the Elysian models if you'd like to have a look:
Forge World - Elysian Drop Troops

Now, I'd like your help as to how I should equip this(those) airborne squads. I was thinking:
Veterans with shotguns
Sergeant Bastonne
2x Plasma or Melta
Heavy Flamer
Demolition

With this kit, I could probably take a diversified number of targets, even entrenched in cover. I can even charge tanks for more damage. It also very expensive (points and money wise). I don't have the latest rules, I used to play in the last edition. I'm not sure if it's worth it to equip that squad with plasma guns as they will likely count as moving when they disembark (and the turn after if so that they can reach cover). Can they actually drop IN cover to start with?

Also, what kind of ship should they ride in? I was thinking to have 2 vendettas and a valkyrie (with missile + heavy bolters) commissioned. The ship that drops them should be able to provide optimal support to the squad.

Any other squads I should send along with them?

Thanks for your help fellow generals, and good luck on your battlefields.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Your general plan is solid. Don't use Bastonne, however. He doesn't give his squad what they truly need to survive in a forward position: a snowball's chance in Hades of surviving close combat. A better approach would be using Creed. He has that improved order range, enough to reach squads halfway across the table, and can do it from the safety of a Chimera. More than one special character in a Guard list is a luxury, anyway. You don't want to hamstring even a fluff list with excessive upgrades.

I don't have the latest rules, I used to play in the last edition.
Fix this before you commission your army. You're missing way too much info. For example, moving no longer changes the performance of plasma guns. You'll also want to consider some artillery for this airborne list. And how can you have a decent army when you don't know what the standard missions are?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I think you probably want troops http://www.nationalturk.com/en/wp-c.../us-troops-turkey-syria-nationalturk-0455.jpg rather than troupes http://www.berkeleyside.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/SF-Mime-Troupe-1024x680.jpg

Anyway, check out the Elysian list in Imperial Armour 8. It makes an airborne army a bit more multi-dimensional. Since their basic infantry can deepstrike that could be used to represent troops in ambush rather than parachuting in. They take very few vehicles which suits a jungle fighters theme.

If you want to stick with the vanilla list then I agree with the idea for creed giving you a wide order radius for your dispersed troops. I would try out some lists in real games, using proxies and so on, so that you're happy with the list before you get it commissioned. There would be nothing worse than having beautifully painted models that you never use!

·
4,967 Posts
Take 3 plasma guns , lasguns and maybe carapace armour. Or take 3 meltaguns, shotguns and maybe demolitions. Shotguins ara assault weapons as are meltas so you can charge after shooting. Lasguns are similar to plasmas in that they are both rappid fire weapons and compliment themselves better.

It is a shame to put flamers on BS4 models and the cost of a heavy flamer is high. If you want anti-horde take a SWS or PCS from a platoon with 3 or 4 flamers.

These units have a lot of firepower and can be easily killed. Get used to it. Spending too many points to either incrase their hitting power or improve their survuvability is not reccomended. They still die if the enemy want them dead so it is silly to make them more of a target or more of a point sink.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much everyone for your answers.

Intrepid: I think you're absolutely right. I had guessed most of the new rules from speaking with people but getting my hands on them will be my next priority. I've seen in one of your past post that you tried really hard to make Bastonne worthwhile and ended-up giving up... I should consider this a lesson learned. I've had a look at your suggestion about Artillery. It's a tough choice actually. I was planning on running 2 different Leman Russes to support my lines but I could consider a Basilik or Medusa as well. I'll think it over and perhaps repost in this thread later with more thoughts about this.

Korona I'm so embarassed ehehe! I'm also part of a danse troupe and I confused the word. I fixed the topic's title at the very least. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not sure how my comrades would feel about using lists from imperial armor; I'll have to ask them. Your opinion is also +1 on Creed so I'll consider him thoroughly.

Mad Cat I expect most will not survive indeed... How do you guys capture and hold your opponents Victory points? Looking at our book, there ise very little we can field who could survive and hold against close combat warriors. Do you simply advance slowly and thin them out before you reach the objective? I'll probably need to airdrop more squads around to make sure I get my objectives. Also, I'll consider the options you mentioned for the veteran squads, seems solid. Wouldn't Forward Sentries be a possible defense against close combat (and shooting as well!) once I have captured my opponent's point(s)?

Thanks a lot for your input everyone! Any more would be welcomed, especially passed experience with similar tactics.

·
4,967 Posts
Foreward sertries is OK but so is just spending the reasonably chunky point cost on more units. If 10 vets start to cost more than 145 points things are going wrong. If you get charged with the sare mines removing the enemy +1 attack will you still win the combat? Probably not. The extra cover save is useful but you must get into cover to benefit and so if you deepstrike out of the vendetta that will be a dangerous terrain test. Dismounting normally will be less of a problem but of course the vendetta is more vulnerable then.

Remember you only have to hold the objectives at the end rather than for the whole game. Grabbing enemy objectives early is just asking to be kicked off them. I prefer to use HWS, tanks and vendetta lascannon to thin out enemy units holding their own objectives. Most of the enemy will probably be trying to close with your lines anyway as few opponents can win a mid/long range shooting war with guard.

So, there will be a few enemy scoring units garrisoning his objectives with a few of his heavy support type units nearby such as devastators or a predator. Use your firepower to waken them then drop in the passengers around turn 3-4 to begin mopping those units up. If the firepower from your vets isn't enough to win that fight then you should probably delay the dismount a turn or go for it but call in more loong range fire from other units. With this tactic it is important to not spend too much on the vets doing the dismounts. If you takle an 1850 point list and have 3 vendetta mounted vet units each costing 170 points you can see the rest of your army will suffer elsewhere by being outnumbered. Instead if you take a PCS and SWS with flamers and 10 vets with 3 meltas that is only 200 points riding in the passenger bays so your main force is stronger and more able to withstand his attack and so more likely to be able to chip in some fire support to win the fight on his objectives.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts