Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've been playing Wood Elves for a couple of months now, and have half a dozen games, maybe a bit more, under my belt. I've seen people rave about how good Wardancers are, and at the moment I'm getting to the point where it's time to buy a new unit (I have all the Core I need, and then some Wild Rider). Now, Wardancers are the "obvious" next choice, but something troubles me:

What do Wardancers do that Dryads don't, taking points into account.

Wardancers hit hard. Dryads hit pretty hard too, and Dryads stay S4 in later rounds of comat.
Wardancers have a ward save. Dryads have a better ward save, and are T4. (yes, I know the Dryads' save is limited)
Wardancers have Magic Resistance (okay, you've got me there)
Both are immune to psychology.
Dryads cause fear, Wardancers don't.
Dryads are CHEAPER!

People screen Wardancers with Dryads because they're so fragile. Why wouldn't you just take more Dryads instead of Wardancers? No need to screen them, and you'll have ablative wounds as protection, since you can buy 3 dryads for every 2 Wardancers. Whatever a Dryad/Wardancer unit charges, you should generally have a cavalry unit charging the flank anyway, so the skirmishers should be there just to generate an extra kill or two. And Dryads will concede less casualties in any return attacks (although I'm aware Wardancers are famous for not leaving anything in the front rank to attack back).

I'm not saying Wardancers are bad, I'm just saying that I think that Dryads are good enough at what Wardancers do, and cheaper, such that I can't understand why people rave SO MUCH about Wardancers, and consider them so important that they take them as their first Special choice. (IMO, Wild Riders should always be the first choice, since the gap between them and Glade Riders is bigger than the gap between Wardancers and Dryads).

I'd be interested to hear other's opinions on this.

·
4,361 Posts
Personally, I agree with you that wild riders are the best special. I will go without wardancers, I will not go without wild riders.

That being said, the reason wardancers are better than dryads comes down to their dances. Having a 4+ true ward save is better than anything dryads get. Having 3 attacks a round is great on a charge at str4. Being able to strike first when charged is awesome. And killing blow works good against those high armour opponents that dryads would have trouble with.

That is basically what it comes down to. You are paying a hefty price for the ability to adjust your wardancers to the situation they are in. This is what puts them above dryads, versatility.

SirKently

·
Gladewalker
429 Posts
You make a good point. I have always used both units interchangably and been happy with both. It is strange that I covent my dancers more, but I think that is just because I bought the direct exclusive models making them more expensive than any other units I have or will buy.

One other advantage of dancers is that they make great body guards for characters. Not only are they good at combat, but they also grant characters that join them ItP and magic resistance.

Since you have WR already, choosing among the other special options is really dependent upon your style. Treekin are obvious if you like heavy forest spiriit or need some heavy combat support. Dancers have been discussed. Warhawks provide a variety of specialty roles (baiting, hunting, harassing.

Though I haven't used them yet (since they just arrived in the mail today), warhawks are an exceedingly flexible choice. They logically replace or compliment glade riders.
-They are the only special choice that is not ItP so they can bait
-Flying helps them get anywhere. If the opponent has a weak point (lone char., troublesome war engine, etc) hawks are there.
-They are not very expensive unit-wise. A minimum squad of glade riders is the same cost, though you get a higher unit strength with glade riders.
-They skirmish so they have -1 to hit vs shooting and 360 vision.

I cheated when it came to picking special units because I bought them all at the same time (ebay is great). Good luck with your decision.

·
OM NOM NOM
370 Posts
When comparing Wardancers and Dryads, you need to take base size into account. Even if you can buy more dryads, it doesn't mean that the points you go will get into base contact and make itself back.

·
4,361 Posts
One thing Rhoaran, you don't get the negative to shoot at warhawk riders. The negative only applies to skirmishers that are composed of unit strength 1 models.

SirKently

·
Gladewalker
429 Posts
One thing Rhoaran, you don't get the negative to shoot at warhawk riders. The negative only applies to skirmishers that are composed of unit strength 1 models.

SirKently
Thanks. I haven't used them yet, so I haven't played them wrong. That's to bad. I can't believe there is not a rule that makes flyers harder to hit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I thought that you still get minus 1 to hit warhawk riders? As they are flying cavalry the rulebook states that they are unit strength 1 when working out line of sight and shooting at them but unit strength 2 when in combat. If anyone can help confirm that, then that would be great.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
The Dances of Loec give the Wardancers a significant edge and versatility.

Killing Blow
A 4+ Ward
The ability to go first
An extra attack

Are all great bonuses. The wardancers can also take a musician which can break ties and can act as a bodyguard for a non-forest character.

Wardancers are one of my favourite specials, but I tend to take one each of:

Treekin, Wardancers, Wildriders and Warhawk riders.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Personally whenever I take wardancers I take a noble wardancer with them and then equip her with a blight of terrors. Then I will screen them with dryads and if the dryads start to make a break in the enemy lines I rush the wardancers there to destroy it. It works more often then not in my experience. And then if you can get behind the enemy lines and use dryads to tie up melee units the wardancers just decimate war machines and gun lines.

·
4,361 Posts
Can you give a page reference where you see that they are unit strength 1 for shooting? All I see is that units of flyers are unit strength 1, flying cavalry are unit strength 2.

SirKently

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
The Dances of Loec give the Wardancers a significant edge and versatility.

Killing Blow
A 4+ Ward
The ability to go first
An extra attack

Are all great bonuses. The wardancers can also take a musician which can break ties and can act as a bodyguard for a non-forest character.

Wardancers are one of my favourite specials, but I tend to take one each of:

Treekin, Wardancers, Wildriders and Warhawk riders.
Killing Blow has been great for dropping enemy characters when it's obvious that my unit of Wardancers is on it's way to the great forest in the sky.

The 4+ ward means that if you end up taking a charge, which you don't want 9 times out of 10, you can survive long enough to hit back. In subsequent rounds of combat, it can be a lifesaver, too.

Going first is terrific if you're charged by low-armored, low-toughness enemies. Just go first and kill his scouts or newly-summoned zombies before they even get a chance to swing back.

The extra attack, that's the real butter. A unit of 7 pumping out 21/22 attacks on the charge is obnoxious. At their high WS, they hit on 3's almost all of the time. Then they usually wound of 4's or 3's. So if 14 hit, 7 or more wounds on average.

These guys have won more games for me than any other WE unit. Well, maybe my archers would argue that.

They're just more versatile than Dryads.

I do love Dryads. For their cost, they're one of the best bargains in the game, but they lack the killing power that Wardancers can muster.

Also, characters can join Wardancers, and not just Wardancer characters. Anything that's not a forest spirit can pop in and join the fun. Bodyguard a spellsinger. Surprise someone with a stand and shoot from the hail of doom. Add a character with a great weapon and the amber pendant.

Can you give a page reference where you see that they are unit strength 1 for shooting? All I see is that units of flyers are unit strength 1, flying cavalry are unit strength 2.

SirKently
They're a skirmishing unit of Unit Size 1 models, hence -1 to hit. Me so stupid.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Gladewalker
429 Posts

·
4,361 Posts
They're a skirmishing unit of Unit Size 1 models, hence -1 to hit.
How do you figure they are unit size one. On page 69, in the section on flying cavalry, it says that all flying calvalry is unit strength 2. On page 18 of the wood elf book, it says flying calvalry is unit strength 2. I can't see where anyone is getting that warhawk riders are unit strength 1. Can someone please explain?

SirKently

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
How do you figure they are unit size one. On page 69, in the section on flying cavalry, it says that all flying calvalry is unit strength 2. On page 18 of the wood elf book, it says flying calvalry is unit strength 2. I can't see where anyone is getting that warhawk riders are unit strength 1. Can someone please explain?

SirKently
Err, my bad. I had Wardancers on the brain.

Warhawks are a unit of flyers, so they are skirmishers for LoS. But since they are flying cavalry and Unit Size two, they are not -1 to be shot at.

Because of my error, everybody gets to line up and spank me. Just make sure you spank me hard. Real hard.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sorry realised my mistake. P.69 of the rule book says models in a unit of flyers always have unit stregth of 1. Then regarding flying cavalary says they are treated as unit of flyers except they have a cavalry profile for use in combat, unit stregth of 2 and the rider gets +1 armour save. I thought they are treated as unit stregth 2 only in combat. So Sir Kently was right you dont get minus 1 to hit them.

·
609 Posts
Sorry realised my mistake. P.69 of the rule book says models in a unit of flyers always have unit stregth of 1. Then regarding flying cavalary says they are treated as unit of flyers except they have a cavalry profile for use in combat, unit stregth of 2 and the rider gets +1 armour save. I thought they are treated as unit stregth 2 only in combat. So Sir Kently was right you dont get minus 1 to hit them.
Even though I know this, it makes me sad. It seems that anything flying, except for large targets, should be harder to hit. They can fly up/down/right/left and they are skirmishers. It just makes me sad. I hope they change someday, unless someone has a good fluff argument for it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts