Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started getting back into warhammer and my models are covered in em and the dust wont come off without me scratching the primer off. Anywho whne you guys are painting, do you ever have the problem of dust particles ruining your smoothness of your model? I get that once in a while and after your done your models do varnish em or just leave em to collect dust?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I am currently rebasing my army as part of putting it into carry cases purely because it was getting dusty on the book shelf it was on. I find that using a good thick paintbrush and going over the whole model and base shifts most os the dust off it. At that point I have been basing them and then varnishing them to keep dust off, and then putting them away so I don't have to repeat the whole process :)

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
Have you tried using compressed air? Get a can of the computer cleaner air and it should work. Also if that doesn't get them all clean you could rinse them lightly under water and let them air dry. If you sealed them with varnish there should be no problems with this.

Cheers,

-Mike

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have had this problem before and a can of compressed air did the trick fine.

Tygra

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
It depends what varnish you use, Games Workshop only have a gloss and semi gloss which will make the model look shiny. However if you can find varnish from a company called Vallejo (I think that is how it is spelt but don't quote me) they do a really good matt varnish that doesn't make the model gloosy or shiny at all. It is slighlty more expensive than the Games Workshop stuff but gives a better effect.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Theres two types of varnish, matte and gloss. Gloss makes the models shiny, which doesnt always fit the theme of the army, but matte varnish leaves a matt finish, the same as you would see if your paintjob was unvarnished.Only problem is that matt varnish isnt very strong , so it dosent give much protection to the models being handled. Gloss howerver is very strong and great a protecting models.The solution, paint on a protective gloss varnish, let it dry, then slap on matt varnish over the gloss.Hey presto, your models are well protected , can be washed , and still have a matt finish to them.Hope that helps.

Tygra

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where can I find vallejo paints? All the websites i read everyones using vallejo so Im guessing theyre better than GW paints

·
Registered
402 Posts
Where abouts do you live ?

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
There are a ton of online retailers that sell vallejo paints - basically just do a search on the internet and you will come up with many many choices. As for local stores - some carry them and some don't. You might be able to convince your local store of carrying them (or at least ordering them for you).

As for varnishes - I use a combination of Krylon Crystal Clear matte varnish (which I have heard is now re-formulated and much more flat in its finish) and follow this up with testor's dullcote which is a dead flat finish.

As for your dust problem - even if they aren't varnished I don't think a little bit of water is going to ruin them. I would not scrub the figures and I would let them air dry and you should get most of the dust off.

Cheers,

-Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts