Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was thinking of starting a dwarf army completely made of quarrelers, thunderers, rangers, and cannons, organ guns. Somebody siad in my GW store that you can't do that that. Is he right?

·
Registered
691 Posts
if Thunderers are a core unit, you would need 4 individual units of them to make your core requirements. The rest of them are special units and would have to be bigger to compensate for their lack of unit numbers.

·
Blistering Barnacles!
895 Posts
if Thunderers are a core unit, you would need 4 individual units of them to make your core requirements. The rest of them are special units and would have to be bigger to compensate for their lack of unit numbers.
Why 4? You only need as many units as core choices.

Of course you can do a complete gun army.

Would look like this:

Dward lord with pistol
Master engineer with pistol
Runelord (you need him in Dwarf shooty armies even though he doesn't have a gun!)

2X10 thunderers
2x10 quarrellers (not really guns...)

16 Rangers
2xCannon

2xOrgan Gun

·
Registered
691 Posts
Why 4? You only need as many units as core choices.

Of course you can do a complete gun army.

Would look like this:

Dward lord with pistol
Master engineer with pistol
Runelord (you need him in Dwarf shooty armies even though he doesn't have a gun!)

2X10 thunderers
2x10 quarrellers (not really guns...)

16 Rangers
2xCannon

2xOrgan Gun
I don't have the current edition of Dwarfs and don't want to post without saying what I am knowing. Also, as said, the theme of this army is entirely with guns, which I took as hand guns. And I am assuming this is a 2000 point army which for dwarfs is 4 core units.

To keep this theme I say 4 units of 10 thunderers is more in theme with it. I don't know what a quareller is so I can't really say what that is, although if they are "not really guns" then they probably dont' belong in this theme.

As to your special unit picks, I would go all cannon or grudgethrowers.

Rare, if your group allows them, you could use Long Drong Slayer pirates as a rare unit and still get your 'gun theme' into the army list.

·
This is for the haters...
1,308 Posts
So i was thinking of starting a dwarf army completely made of quarrelers, thunderers, rangers, and cannons, organ guns. Somebody siad in my GW store that you can't do that that. Is he right?
It sounds like the store (or the players) have simply banned this list from being played since Drawf Gunline is considered cheesy and unfun to play against

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
Well.. he's wrong ;)

In 2000 pts dwarfs need 3+ core units btw.
Dwarfs have missile units as core so you can obviously make a legal list with them. It depends on your wording in the store. The staff member might have mistaken 'all guns' for an army of nothing but cannons and such.

Quarrelers are dwarfs using crossbows. ( A quarrel is the shape of the arrowpoints, looked it up once ) I don't know if you want them in your army, but if you do they can give you a bit of combat punch when equipped with great weapons.

This will propably be a massive horde of thunderers as you will propably not fill up a huge part of your army with the special and rare choices. You might squeeze it to 900 - 1000 pts and thunder up the rest. Potentially 1000 pts of thunderers! Thats 66 thunderers with shields. 5 units of 10 and one of 16 :)
But you'd of course be better off with some characters.

I would advice though, to not make your army too cheesy to consider 1 combat unit. Throw in a lord with pistol and Master rune of challenge and get those pesky enemies to first fight your unit before they move on to everything else.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i played a game agaisnt dwarfs and those ironbrekers seemed to be invincibel. Luckily my only spear chukka fluked like crazy: managed to kill two and then they fleed into my large unit of spider riders! Anyway i might consider them as one of my units.

·
Registered
124 Posts
When you say that a gunline is "cheesy" is that because you are ignoring one phase of the game (combat) or because it kills everything and is a very "hard" army?

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
No, it's pretty boring to play with and against and takes away the strategic aspect of the game apart from 'shoot the fast ones'. The game is basically dumbed down to "did I roll well enough?"

That kind of cheesy ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
No, it's pretty boring to play with and against and takes away the strategic aspect of the game apart from 'shoot the fast ones'. The game is basically dumbed down to "did I roll well enough?"

That kind of cheesy ;)

The cheesy gunnline is the Thorek gunnline. The normal one is called cheesy because you fall alseep of boredom.

·
Blistering Barnacles!
895 Posts
The cheesy gunnline is the Thorek gunnline. The normal one is called cheesy because you fall alseep of boredom.
Well at least there's some strategy in using Thorek. I wouldn't say he was cheesy either, given the army wide rules of dark elves, vampires, deamons or even skaven. Realistically, Skaven at the moment do everything we do but better in most ways...

·
NCIS fan
818 Posts
I believe the "gun-line" list fits the Dwarfs quite nicely.

I'd take at least a runesmith though, as Gold Magic will turn your list into smoldering piles of slag.

Players who cry "cheese" , are nothing but pansies!

:beer:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Well.. he's wrong ;)

In 2000 pts dwarfs need 3+ core units btw.
Dwarfs have missile units as core so you can obviously make a legal list with them. It depends on your wording in the store. The staff member might have mistaken 'all guns' for an army of nothing but cannons and such.

Quarrelers are dwarfs using crossbows. ( A quarrel is the shape of the arrowpoints, looked it up once ) I don't know if you want them in your army, but if you do they can give you a bit of combat punch when equipped with great weapons.
Yes I am aware of that definition of a quarrel, but in that context, Quarreler could well have been some sort of new unit of dwarves quarrel in the definition of a a rivalry or grudge which would be a very dwarfish unit so I wanted to hear exactly what it was before I passed judgement on it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I remember in 5th Edition we approved in our gaming group a "Dwarf Engineer Guild" army list and units for use. They were LETHAL, especially vs the Skaven.

Some of the rules that were implemented included.....

***Engineer Guild Dueling Handguns- These cost 20 points, and could be borne only by characters. Could have up to 25 points in runes per weapon.
***Engineer Guild Handguns- cost +2 points. because the weapons are so well made, sturdy/has bayonets built into it, the dwarfs ignore the firing at a charging enemy penalty as they don't need to fire their weapons fast and draw their handweapon- they could use their handguns as a CC weapon.
***Engineer Guild Thunderers- maximum of one unit per every unit of 10+ regular thunderers. Had a BS of 4; had heavy armor. Could have magic/runic standard.
***Engineer Guild Longbeards- had a BS of 5; LD of 10. Ignored the "fire-or-move" rule as they had mastered reloading on the move.

There were some more additional rules they had. There was a "Don't-Shoot-Till-Ye-See-The-White/Red-In-Their-Eyes" rule, where they could literally wait for a charging enemy to be literally at point-blank range before firing- it counted as "Striking First".

The Engineer Guild Thunderers could fire in two ranks.

Engineer Guild Longbeards could fire in as many ranks as there were in formation (the classic Civil War tactic where many ranks fired at once in a unit).

It made them pretty lethal and I certainly did not like it from a Skaven standpoint, although I believe I pulled one or two wins off vs the Dwarf Engineer Guild.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.