Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really new to fantasy and dwarfs, and I need a little painting help. First of all, I have dwarf flesh, but what should I use as a base coat for the skin? Also, on slayers, I found blazing orange to be too bright, and how can I make it darker and more realistic?

If you could post links for tutorials or anything that can help me, that would be great.

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
For painting skin over a black undercoat (which I am assuming that you do), starting out with a dark colour such as dark flesh is a good idea, if you want a smooth coat. Then go with tanned flesh and dwarf flesh.

As for the orange hair, try mixing a little blazing orange into, let's say, bestial brown and see what effect you get. A more brown-ish colour with a orange tint should feel a bit more realistic, yeah?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For painting skin over a black undercoat (which I am assuming that you do), starting out with a dark colour such as dark flesh is a good idea, if you want a smooth coat. Then go with tanned flesh and dwarf flesh.

As for the orange hair, try mixing a little blazing orange into, let's say, bestial brown and see what effect you get. A more brown-ish colour with a orange tint should feel a bit more realistic, yeah?
Yes, I am painting over a black base

and would bestial brown or scorched brown work as a substitute for dark flesh? and you don't drybrush the dwarf flesh, right?

·
318 Posts
I'm only now becoming happy with my flesh tone painting after my most recent project (Dwarf Bloodbowl team). I don't work with GW paints, and I do a lot of mixing, so I can't provide exact color references, but starting off with a base brown is best. Following that would be about a 50/50 mix of your brown, and final skin tone, finished off, of course, with the skin tone itself.

And the Camel is right. You shouldn't drybrush skin in most cases. It's best to waterdown each layer, actually, and paint very precisely, and delicately on the final layer so the previous ones remain as shadowing. It's tough, but it's finally come to me with practice, so keep at it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scorched brown would be a good substitute, I think. Try it.
And no, drybrushing flesh is not a good idea since drybrushing gives a 'rough' effect and you want skin smooth and even.
I was just curious because I also paint 40k Space orks and they look better with a drybushing of goblin green on their skin.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts

·
481 Posts
what i find work wonders with skin is tallarn flesh as a base, then ogryn flesh was, then highlight with tallarn flesh, and do a final highlight of elf flesh, comes out looking pretty nice for only doing 4 steps, and the steps are fairly fast to, you'll just be waiting for the wash to dry as they take so long to dry.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Honestly dude, guess what works best.

Pick up a few flesh colours, an ink or wash and EXPERIMENT until you find what looks good for you.
I found dwarf flesh to be too dark, my dwarves have really light skin and i think it looks good whereas most others have dwarves with really dark skin :D

Its preferance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts