Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm going to be running a WH40K tabletop RP game, with only a couple of potential players having a good knowledge of the WH40K universe. Aside from the WH40K/Inquisitor/Dark Heresy rulebooks, are there any sources that give a good introduction to the WH40K universe?

Due to only having one copy of each rulebook myself, swapping the books between people whilst I'm trying to prepare the game would obviously be a slight pain in the neck, so cheap-ish items or online sources would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
i dont know about easy sources but you could photo copy certain importants pages, thats all i can think of

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
Black Library could also be good to give them an idea of the feel of the 40k universe.
I suggest using several different authors for variety since each one has their own views on the 41st Millenium, which tends to translate into what kind of impression their books give.

Wikipedia is normally a good source but is not always true.
I would say that its mainly pertains to the fine details. Getting general concepts and such should be alright.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
The 3rd ed rulebook was what me got into the fluff. I remember being mostly enthralled.

Subtler elements, like Ork physiology and Eldar linguistics, should be avoided. Explain the concept of the Imperium, the Horus Heresy and the birth of the Chaos Space Marines, and how the Inquisition works. For Eldar and Orks, be pedagogical and call them space elves and space orcs.

I've explained it to people new to the game before (and once to my literature professor o_O) and people seem receptive based on how you present it. If they like action films, tell them about Space Marines and how awesome they are. If they like military history, start with how the IG is organised like WWI trenchers. If they're into politics, start with how the Imperium is an example of how a galactic fascist state bound by xenophobia could be vital to the survival of humanity in a hypothetical future, or how the Tau are commonly mistaken for communists but closer resemble 19th century British colonialists. If they dig philosophy and theories of morality, tell them how interesting it is that Space Marines protect humanity while being posthuman themselves, or how the evil of the Imperium is in fact considered good in a universe where evil is the norm. If they just like sci fi and big guns, start by telling them how huge an Imperial battleship is (ten kilometres) and just how giganonormous the Nova Cannon is (a barrel 500 metres long firing a skyscraper-sized explosive load).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.