Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first tutorial... so don't be too harsh.

Snow flock is kinda expensive for white powder, and doesn't seem the right consistency for snow. And painted on snow looks even worse.

This is an easy tutorial for making realistic snowy bases.

Things you need:
Baking powder(can be found in cooking section in most supermarkets)
White paint
medium sized brush

Apply white paint thickly on to the base of the model

sprinkle baking powder on lightly covering the base

leave it to dry

Come back and shake off any excess powder

Blood can be added by dripping any watered down blood red or scab red for dried blood, you can also add rocks and things placing the snow on the flat parts of the rock or if its heavy snow you can just cover it.

Hope this helped someone. :)

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
That's not too bad. I've been doing snow-bases for a little while on my WoC army. Might I make a few suggestions though?

If you're using Baking Powder/Baking Soda, you should be sure to varnish your bases. Otherwise, moisture will attack the baking soda and cause mold to form. This may be great if you are playing a Nurgle army, but for the majority of us, this could ruin an otherwise excellent model.

I also don't use Citadel paints for the fixative. I use a $.97 tube of acrylic paint from the local craft store. It's about 4 times as large as the Citadel pot, and has a squeeze nozzle. The nozzle lets me put paint directly on the base, create drifts or piles of snow- this is especially nice for snow that's maybe 3-4inches deep, as it can make feet look "sunk in".

Otherwise- excellent tutorial. It keeps it nice and simple for people who aren't looking to include super-delux-one-of-a-kind ice effects and other crap. Just plain and simple. Good job SonoftheEmperor

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive had models in and out of a case for a year and it seems to be fine, but i see what you mean about water, it makes a chemical reaction with the soda and makes it bubble... but unless your spilling water on your models regulary then it won't be a problem. and i will even take you advise on the cheaper paint :)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no its more a beigie coulor. and animals would proberly like to nibble on your models if they were covered in flour.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts

·
141 Posts
Just don't leave them in the sun - you might get muffins!

Seriously though, good idea. I agree with the comment about sealing them with a few sprays of varnish - definitely a good idea.

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
I did an army of White Scars with snow bases once and I found that I really don't like the store bought modeling snow that can be found at hobby railroad shops and elsewhere. I always do multiple bases at once and when I finished my first two batches and let them dry, they had a very slight yellowish sheen to them and they never really looked powdery.

Another thing you can use that you won't have to worry about ants nibbling on, is talcum powder.. the kind you sprinkle on a baby's bottom when you change their diaper. I found that it holds a nice powdery white color better than the model powder that is available.

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
yea but your models would smell like talcum powder... everyone would know.
All the better to woo the ladies with. Talcum power is perfect for masking the musky paint smell of standard models. And, in a small game shop, things can get a little smelly. Again it never hurts to have the best smelling army in the store.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Good tip! I started wondering though how could you add a icy patch onto the base, that would look really nice with the snowy-look that you have made... :soldier:

·
Registered
290 Posts
thanks for sharing. i'll have to do this on my darkangels.

it looks nice and crisp enough to have a believable effect, in the photos at least. looking forward to getting stuck into it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
edit. accidental double post

1 - 15 of 15 Posts