Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm trying to pick up the hobby again after a lengthy hiatus (just after the release of the current GK codex actually). At that point I was part way through building a coteaz led force using large squads of henchman as troops. Obviously the addition of the new inquisition codex, and the re-issue of adepta sororitas leads me to believe that the GK book will be updated soon and will lose all the =][= rules, does that sound likely to you?

Basically I'm trying to think how to create the force I'm after (very hench-heavy, mainly because I like the conversion opportunities and I'm not interested in it being competitive), while making it future proof. Obviously as it stands I can have Coteaz and 6 units of troops henchman as my primary force and then a detachment of an inquisitor and 3 elites hench squads (unless I'm wrong? I don't fully understand the battle-forged etc rules yet) which is awesome.

Also has any word been said on the fact that the henchman rules are slightly different between the two books? It will be a pain in the arse to remember which squads are which rule wise for example (though I suppose I'll have to differentiate anyway because even if I took 9 identical squads... only 6 would be scoring...).

This sounds like it's going to get confusing.

Basically. Any advice on taking a henchman heavy list (all infantry as well) given the new rules changes. Because I'm a bit lost with it all.

*Edit* Also thinking about it, obviously this is a GK dex based question in part so I think it's fine here but for future reference am I ok to post Inquisition dex based questions here seeing as the majority of the rules are the same (and there isn't a inquisition sub-forum, and even if there was I imagine it would be seldom visited).

·
4,967 Posts
Coteaz makes henchmen troops but only for units in his detachment so that is six units. If you take allied inquisition and those henchmen count as elites or non FOC units then those units wouldn't be Objective secured but as all units are scoring now that shouldnt be too much of a problem.

Grey knight Codex is due for a reworking sometime in the next year or so. Rumors say Dark eldar then maybe blood angels will be out this year leaving only GK, Necrons and Sisters to be without a hardback codex. When they get round to a rewrite I'm sure Inquisitors and henchmen will get new rules as at the moment they are a little over complicated and with the new 7th edition multi combined arms FOCs available at any point level (daft I know) they don't really need the limitations on how many units you can take anymore.

Scions sort of make up for the old 3rd ed inquisitorial storm troopers so henchmen are only there to use up the many RPG figures and add charachter to units and armies.

The fact that henchmen apprea in GK and =][= codexes might mean they are less likely to change as they would have to redo both books. Not too bad for the Ipad version but nasty for those that bought the PDFs.

·
3,395 Posts
Also has any word been said on the fact that the henchman rules are slightly different between the two books?
The banisher is not available in the inquisition book, it has been replaced by the sororitas/guard priest.
I've not seen the updated inquisition codex but to my knowledge the arco-flagellants were never updated to match the newer sororitas rule entry.

While there have been rumours of a GK re-release there is nothing so far as to the fate of the inquisitors.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok thanks for that so I suppose worse case scenario (which is usually what I expect), henchman and the inquisitors will be removed from the GK book when it comes (no point in having them in two lists really with the new rules as far as I can see, and they've been removed from sisters) so I'll be looking for a troops choice. Presuming Troops choices are still in fact compulsory.... I've bought the sisters, marines, scions, militarium and =][= books atm... Not ready for the layout on the rulebook yet. Wasn't expecting this massive a change!

I suppose in that situation I take an inquisition primary detachment and then it's a free-for-all on a second to fill the troops slots, either sisters, GK's, tempestus/militarium (perhaps the most logical if I want footslogging none MEQ's) or marines.

I've dropped in and out of the hobby before but this has to be the worst transition, seems they haven't left much static at all!

Regarding the henchman warbands themselves the only marked difference I noticed was the psyker rules, does anyone know if GW has mentioned this? As in do the rules from the =][= dex overwrite those from the GK one or am I free to use whichever (seeing as I'll have 9 hench-squads and no more than 3 with psykers probably I could feasibly use either for all or a mix).

*Edit* In reply to A.T. the arco's in the new =][= book have an extra attack over the sororitas battle enclave version, other than that they're the same. Not sure which is newer tbh.

*Another Edit* Just came across this: http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/Warhammer-40k/7th-faq/Grey_Knights_v1.0_May14.pdf and the psykers in the GK book have brootherhood of psykers(1) (identical to the =][= book), so the only difference is an attack on the arco's and the priests (which I wasn't intending on using). Suppose this makes it a lot easier... Though no pie plates from psyker squads boooo.

·
3,395 Posts
*Edit* In reply to A.T. the arco's in the new =][= book have an extra attack over the sororitas battle enclave version, other than that they're the same. Not sure which is newer tbh.
In the SoB dex they were changed to 3 attacks with 2 weapons (to clarify how many arco-flails you got) and reduced in price. I guess whoever did the copy/paste didn't read the earlier sisters dex.

You don't actually need any troops - inquisition units never get objective secured but technically any number of henchmen are a valid battleforged list provided you have at least one inquisitor for every three units. They are all scoring in 7th.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks A.T. so really unless I actually intend to take GK's (which I don't initially, this is mainly a modelling project, just want to make sure they're a valid army in case i actually get time to play at some point), there's no point in actually using the GK dex for this.

So basically as long as I take them in legal detachments (i.e. 1 =][=, 1-3 henchman squads) it'll always be legal? How. Bizzare.

I'm guessing the FOC is really only there if you're taking a single dex list then? Otherwise you just adhere to the detachment rules?

Thanks for the help, was a bit of a shock coming back and seeing everything had changed to this extent. 4th-6ed had less changes than 6-7th as far as I can see...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another valid point, within the =][= codex, crusaders and DCA's are listed as having power swords... So no more power maul/axe conversions for them with the new dex.

·
3,395 Posts
I'm guessing the FOC is really only there if you're taking a single dex list then? Otherwise you just adhere to the detachment rules?
The inquisition dex has it's own force org chart - no troops, just HQs, elites, and the vehicles.

A single inquisitor is a valid detachment. You need at least one inquisitor for every three allied henchmen units.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok cool, thanks for that. Going to purchase the rulebook this evening so I can properly sit down and understand what the hell is going on I think.

Considering all that's been said I think it's best just to ignore the GK codex completely for this seeing as i can field as many =][= and henchman as I want anyway. Might consider picking up some tempestus scions with a commissar for deep striking fun and just in case I need troops for anything (still no vehicles).

This would in effect play as an elite guard force with extra flavor, terrible competitively I suppose but I don't massively care to be honest, as I said it's more of a painting/modelling project than anything else and with the modular nature of the new armies, I can always slot some of them into something more competitive at a later date.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also just to clarify and make sure I'm not missing something, it's pointless to take more than one psyker in a henchman squad correct? You gain no additional benefits from multiples (and some negatives with less fire-power, survivability and additional perils hits) correct?

On the other hand it seems pretty much mandatory to take one. Because why not? More warp charge points and a free power for the squad. I effectively consider it a unit upgrade like an apothecary, x points to upgrade one acolyte to a psyker pretty much (and lose the weapons options).

Guess my old psyker squad is getting split up and I'm spreading them about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts