Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would eldar use to carry out assasinations? Nothing we have in the codex matches the stealthy dark silent slayerness of a ninja. Is there anything in fictoion that could carry out that role? I once read some fan fiction where a group of rangers lead by a pathfinder attempted to assasinate a rival craftworld farseer, but that dosn't quite cut it. Any ideas on what Eldar use or should use for Assasins/Ninjas?

(P.S Who removed the ninja smiley?)

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
yeah rangers are about it, but Eldar are generaly more subtle than that, for example, if they wanted a member of the imperium assassinated, they would orchistrate it so other members of the imperium assassinated him, or tried to, for 2 reasons:
1, that is simply the way they work
2, an Eldar would struggle a lot to infiltrate human society to the extent he could covertly assassinate someone, even with a sniper rifle

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
And i also think that assisination and covertness go against the eldar code, they both mean giving up one's identity and i believe this is an abomination to eldar. Betraying one's soul and all that.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
And i also think that assisination and covertness go against the eldar code, they both mean giving up one's identity and i believe this is an abomination to eldar. Betraying one's soul and all that.
not sold on that one mate, by human standards eldar are fickle and duplicitous

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ya I was going to say eldar are known for being enigmatic and mysterious. They use guile and experience to survive, not any code of honor or nobility.

I think for assasinations on a battlefield sense (enemy commanders, officers) it would fall to the long range expertice and stealth of the rangers, or the stealthy murderous stalkers the striking scorpions.

I smell good fluff forming up. Scorpion exarch and small unit sneek behind enemy lines for a bit of mon-keigh commander hunting?

Assassination of political leaders would rely only on manipulation of other humans, other races, or even fate itself to get that done.

"OOPs, look like these coodinates took us to a black hole, my bad commander"

·
Fury of the Ages
753 Posts
Striking Scorpions! A close combat aspect, trained in infiltration and moving through terrain/buildings, without being seen. I've always imagined that they could quite easily infiltrate a tau/IG base and knock off the commander.

I also think the harlequins would dispatch people if it helped their cause... whatever that cause may be...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your question stirred vague memories in my head about "Eldar Assassins", so I went digging through my old Rogue Trader (what could loosely be called 1st Ed 40K for any who were unaware) material and found the reference in the White Dwarf 40K Compendium (a rules supplement that was released).

In Rogue Trader, there was 2 classes of I guess what could be termed Wraithguard in 3E/4E terms, which were known as "Spirit-Warriors" and "Ghost-Warriors". Like Wraithguard, both of these units were robotic in appearance and controlled by an Eldar Spirit from the inifinity circuit ("Spirit Stones" as such were not defined for use by the army back then). They were however classed as "Dreadnoughts" and fought similarly to the way independent characters do now.

Anyway, the "Ghost-Warriors" had various pre-defined types (they were customisable), one of which was known as an "Assassin Class Ghost-Warrior". They had various rules associated with them, which I won't list here, but the essence of which involved stealth (sensor proof, cameleoline, etc). They were also armed with 2 powergloves (early forerunners to the power-fist) and a teleport homer (to get backup to them, ie fitting in with their stealth/scout theme).

So their special rules and armament made them perfect for character assassination and helping to teleport in behind enemy lines. A unit which sounds like what you were after in terms of Eldar fluff. I imagine if you were keen you could convert the rules/stats into 4E terms, but would of course need your opponents permission to use them. A quick search on the 'net for "Eldar Ghost-Warriors" should give you the rules and stats etc.

I hope that info helped! ;Y

·
Registered
156 Posts
It would depend on who you wanted assasinated and where they where based. If it was the leader of an army on the battlefeild warp spiders or a farseer crushing his pewny human mind from a distance. If it was leader of a gouverment or a politician then rangers or manipulation like the guys above have said.

The fluff for this would be pretty cool though. a politician retires to his private quarters closes the door behind then there is a flash of blue light and muffled screams the next day a gooey mush is found wrapped in monofilament wire.

Did you mean like a unit for assasinating on the tabletop or did u mean fluff wise ?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What if something needed to be recovered from the body?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Urrm best guess for that would be Harliquins through a webway gate. Can the eldar just open webway gates instantly or does there have to be somthing first ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its not that the eldar don't have a code of honor. Its that their honor only extends to other Eldar.
And now that I think about it, if the Eldar ferseers belive that somebody's grand child may become a threat to them, they destroy that city rather then face the chance of killing the wronge guy.

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Your question stirred vague memories in my head about "Eldar Assassins", so I went digging through my old Rogue Trader (what could loosely be called 1st Ed 40K for any who were unaware) material and found the reference in the White Dwarf 40K Compendium (a rules supplement that was released).

In Rogue Trader, there was 2 classes of I guess what could be termed Wraithguard in 3E/4E terms, which were known as "Spirit-Warriors" and "Ghost-Warriors". Like Wraithguard, both of these units were robotic in appearance and controlled by an Eldar Spirit from the inifinity circuit ("Spirit Stones" as such were not defined for use by the army back then). They were however classed as "Dreadnoughts" and fought similarly to the way independent characters do now.

Anyway, the "Ghost-Warriors" had various pre-defined types (they were customisable), one of which was known as an "Assassin Class Ghost-Warrior". They had various rules associated with them, which I won't list here, but the essence of which involved stealth (sensor proof, cameleoline, etc). They were also armed with 2 powergloves (early forerunners to the power-fist) and a teleport homer (to get backup to them, ie fitting in with their stealth/scout theme).

So their special rules and armament made them perfect for character assassination and helping to teleport in behind enemy lines. A unit which sounds like what you were after in terms of Eldar fluff. I imagine if you were keen you could convert the rules/stats into 4E terms, but would of course need your opponents permission to use them. A quick search on the 'net for "Eldar Ghost-Warriors" should give you the rules and stats etc.

I hope that info helped! ;Y

Haha i remember these- the minis looked like something the Tau might have, only on legs

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
minis were a broad assortment of models (still got some), someone has knocked up appoc rules based on the old epic ones somewhere on the web too!

·
Registered
260 Posts
this one is simple... Eldar Farseers are their assassians. The first answer put forth was the most realistic and also most effefctive. Essentially, why shoot someone with a bullet when you can have his personal guard do it just as easily.

-V

·
Tactical Avante-Gard
2,095 Posts
What would eldar use to carry out assasinations? Nothing we have in the codex matches the stealthy dark silent slayerness of a ninja. Is there anything in fictoion that could carry out that role? I once read some fan fiction where a group of rangers lead by a pathfinder attempted to assasinate a rival craftworld farseer, but that dosn't quite cut it. Any ideas on what Eldar use or should use for Assasins/Ninjas?

(P.S Who removed the ninja smiley?)
Unfortunately out of circulation, I'd use a Solitaire as my Assassin if I was an Eldar commander.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, If I had to assassinate a human w/ an eldar I would say a fire dragon w/ extraction would be a safe bet. I mean, they're already super fast and agile, but the fusion gun would just completely annihilate the guy;?. No finger prints, no DNA, no cameras, no micro chips. All would be estroyed by the intense heat of his fusion gun. Then he'd use his blinding fast eldariness to run away as fast as he could.

·
Registered
497 Posts
This is just the BFG player in me, but the Eldar are defined as having the most precision targeting out there... even the Necrons aren't their exact match (not in the technology alone, but in the Eldar having tech AND the psychic ability to predict what the target will do).

Most peple the Eldar need dead?

Quick raid in, quick strike with BFG grade ship weapons (more then sufficient to wipe out an area the size of a small city), quick move out.

No fuff no muss. Unless a Void Stalker is used, the target never even sees a blur in the heavens above.

Now obviously if the target is on one of the rare well defended worlds this might not work, but that's what you have Eldar Rangers for. They travel around, even associating with humans on occasion, of all Eldar they can blend in the best and kill from afar...

That is of course assuming the Eldar can't just send a powerful psyker to blow your mind apart from the edge of the system, that they don't have access to a webway on your planet (in which case god, or Eldred, only knows what they'd choose to send).

And if they needed the body?

Well, Striking Scorpions. Sneaky, and more then capable of of dragging a corpse with them. Think about how sneaky our modern special forces extraction teams can be... and a Eldar Aspect Warrior makes them look like 3rd world army recruits. (well, at least in raw physical reflexes and limits, and in experiance, i'm sure the training is similiar).

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Shiz_Vaerth
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.