Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently dug up a bunch of old clear orange pill bottles (my dads meds) and figured they'd be great for making Eldar terrain from (because nothings says Eldar like fluorescent orange =p).

However I can't seem to find any good pictures of Eldar or Dark Eldar terrain. All I've managed to find of Eldar is funny looking thingies sticking out of the ground (not buildings, just structures) and all I've found of Dark Eldar is a single picture in the codex of tall, spikey towers. In other words, not much to go on. I could probably just make stuff up but I'd rather have some good images to go by to base my sketches off of.

So anyone have any good pictures of Eldar-ish terrain or buildings? Dark Eldar is good too. I mainly just want to find a good use for all this clear orange plastic.

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
I'm looking at all my codex' now for you, and a google search did come up with absolutely nothing, but I think a dark eldar world wouldnt be all that different from a chaos one, arn't they spawned from the same thing? I can't remember, but lots of torture racks, dead body trophys and greusome things like that would be the go for your project.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Personally I think that your best search for inspiration will be the Fantasy sources - High Elves and Dark Elves - they are both sleek and elegant and suitably 'high tech' with a little bit of effort.
There was a really nice Dark Elf watchtower made by one of the White Dwarfers - look at the army books for inspiration

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you get lots of pill bottles, A huge static Haemoculous Lab. Just an Idea.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm looking at all my codex' now for you, and a google search did come up with absolutely nothing, but I think a dark eldar world wouldnt be all that different from a chaos one, arn't they spawned from the same thing? I can't remember, but lots of torture racks, dead body trophys and greusome things like that would be the go for your project.
Yeah, thats the basic idea i've been getting for DE architecture. Most of my stores terrain is too fantasy/natural for my tastes which is part of the reason I started this project.

Personally I think that your best search for inspiration will be the Fantasy sources - High Elves and Dark Elves - they are both sleek and elegant and suitably 'high tech' with a little bit of effort.
There was a really nice Dark Elf watchtower made by one of the White Dwarfers - look at the army books for inspiration
I'll have to look in to that, thanks.

Id check the dawn of war pc game screenshots.
Just checked their site, not a whole lot that was useful but I'll see what else I can find. Thanks.

Hmm... It might end up a little too PG-13 for my store but I like it :) Thanks for the idea. I am already picturing shattered tanks with ooze and body parts dripping out.

·
Still kickin'
259 Posts

I had the same idea occur while reading his post. You need some to-scale human and other Xenos bodies for floating in in-tact ones, suspended in orange Jello, with LED lights under them. And bass guitar strings going to modified caps for life support/animation/whatever.

Now that would be something to see! Hmmm ...Pill bottles, pill bottles...

:happy:

-T

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had the same idea occur while reading his post. You need some to-scale human and other Xenos bodies for floating in in-tact ones, suspended in orange Jello, with LED lights under them. And bass guitar strings going to modified caps for life support/animation/whatever.

Now that would be something to see! Hmmm ...Pill bottles, pill bottles...

:happy:

-T
The problem with a static field is that I see it as Objective driven. this is based of a Battle report where the terrain is based off of the Hoover dam. I can't seem to find it, so if anyone does please post it. It's a great piece of scenery

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem with a static field is that I see it as Objective driven. this is based of a Battle report where the terrain is based off of the Hoover dam. I can't seem to find it, so if anyone does please post it. It's a great piece of scenery

I'd probably not make it as a static field. Instead just a REALLY large partially-destroyed building.

Troszkowsky said:

Now that would be something to see! Hmmm ...Pill bottles, pill bottles..
Yeah, but then the jello would rot/decay after a while =\ (They aren't quite twinkies). I like the LED and guitar string idea. Thanks.

I'm going to start doing sketches later today. I'll make sure to scan em to get some opinions.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I found the terrain. It's a static replica of Hoover dam from Firebase Magazine Vol.1 in the first couple of pages.

FIREBASEMAG - WarSeer

·
Scenery Shogun
917 Posts
I'VE GOT IT!

This totally explains why DE haven't gotten an update or new codex!

GW designer 1: "Okay the rules for the DE are done..now..for scenery"

GW designer 2: "...uh...what does DE scenery look like?"

GW designer 3: "um....darkish....eldar scenery?"

GW designer 4: ".........shoot...*stumped*"

*2 years later...*

lol

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah, but then the jello would rot/decay after a while =\ (They aren't quite twinkies). I like the LED and guitar string idea. Thanks.
Well, instead of using jello (since the plastic is already neon orange) you could just suspend the models inside the bottles by the guitar wire. Better yet would to get some clear resin/water effects (art stores and hobby shops should have some.) and pour that in there, making sure theres bubbles in it so it looks like some sort of liquid that the model is suspended in. Light it from the bottom with an LED, and you could get some really funky-looking effects going. I think it would look pretty cool!

Hope that helps!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.