Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I was playing a 2v2, my eldar and buddy's SM versus Ork and IG players, each army 500pts, 1000 per team.

Both armies on a team would move, shoot and assault simultaneously. It was like turn 3, and my Farseer decides to Doom a lonely squad of Guardsmen, and my IG opponent said that my SM player who assaulted them could not benefit from the rerolling wounds. I argued that it still could because of the way the rules specify it. Doom says any wounds on that unit until the next Eldar turn. I reasoned that if it didn't want other races to benefit from a psyker power, it would specifically say, 'Eldar' units benefit, just like it does for Fortune and Guide. So, he called it BS, but reluctantly agreed.

The very next turn, the IG player decides to issue an order to a squad of Ork Boyz (Move! Move! Move!, wasn't game changing, but still) and I was like hold up there, and we consulted the IG codex. In that entry I saw stuff like:

"Imperial Guardsmen are not allowed to think...relying instead on their officers" (Page 29, 1st Paragraph under "IG orders"

"Imperial Guardsmen are conditioned to obey orders without question" (pp 29, 1 para.)

(for the IG's case) "the officer must declare which order he is attempting to use and select a single friendly non-vehicle unit within his command radius to carry out the order." (pp 29, 5th para.)

Now I reasoned that he couldn't do that, but he insisted that if my Doom works, his orders can affect other non-vehicles as well. I let it go, since it was a mildly friendly game and the Boyz just ran 6 inches, and that didn't really matter. But I still think that guard orders can not affect another army of a different type (perhaps another IG, but that's it). I mean come on, an Ork taking orders from a puny 'umie??? Please.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Based on the book, your opponent would technically be correct, as it only requires that the ordered unit be a friendly non-vehicle unit within range. The IG FAQ however clarifies that Orders only apply to non-vehicle units from the IG codex, which just makes sense. Sounds like he was just being a dick because he didn't like how Doom works.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh damn, you're right with the FAQ. I looked at it, but I didn't bother to look under the little secition called "Daemonhunters,blah blah." Thanks a bunch! Now I get to shove it in his face. Oh yeah, he was being a dick, I really don't enjoy playing with him sometimes.

·
558 Posts
Well, maybe he wasn't being a dick. Doom worked because of the way it was worded, so did his order. If he hadn't seen the FAQ, all he has to go on is that wording. The wording let both work.
If someone is to blame, it is GW for not being clearer in their wording, not your buddy.

By all means show him the FAQ, let him know he was wrong, but there is no need to shove it in his face. According to the information you guys had at the time, he was right.

·
Registered
579 Posts
"All hits caused upon that unit get a re-roll to wound" is pretty clear. It even applies to hits suffered from an exploding vehicle or scattering friendly blasts (though the re-roll doesn't seem to be compulsory, so of course I can't imagine anybody re-rolling to wound against his own models).

·
905 Posts
On technicallity he's right as orders affect friendlies, although in tournaments round here we say it only applies to your army in question. You're correct on doom, we've all done it when allied. However in regards to the wording on ONLY ELDAR units for fortune and such, I managed to twist that one to hell and back in doubles tourney when I was fortuning, and guiding my Dark Eldar team mate. Reasoning he's ELDAR just darker kin. Which is actually why we have the only affect your army rule, the only exceptions we've found are Doom and marker lights, although I'm sure there are others.

·
Registered
579 Posts
On technicallity he's right as orders affect friendlies, although in tournaments round here we say it only applies to your army in question.
No, he was't correct, the FAQ addresses this.

If the rerolling on Doomed unit was compulsory you could not choose to only reroll the ones that did not wound.
Another good point, it doesn't say failed to wounds. That makes for an interesting possibility with Harlequins, because it allows you to re-roll succesfu but non-rending wounds, and hope for that 6.

·
Registered
445 Posts
People are defending the IG player?He was obviously being a dick because Doom specifically works on a target for all attacks against them. To put it simply its a psychic power which lasts an entire round no matter where the wounds are coming from.Trying to claim an IG can order around another persons army with that rule though (particularly a non imperial ally) is about as legit as saying the Orc could ride in IG vehicles.Just because the wording in a codex is dubious doesn't mean EVERYONE can't see the actual reasoning/logic behind it.I've thought about the Harlie option too, which is interesting since your trading a chance for more rending for the possibility of less successful attacks (bad dice roll)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts