Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I played a 1000 point game against a necron player over the weekend and lost by turn four. We played an Alpha "loot counter" mission.

My list:
Farseer w/ Doom, 6 Harlies (shadowseer, 6 kisses), 1 Vyper, 1 Falcon with all the upgrades, 9 Dire Avengers, 6 Pathfinders, 1 wave serpent, 2 warwalkers (1, with scatter lasers, 1 with EMLs)

His list: 2 squads of 10 warriors, 2 squads of 5 immortals, 2 squads of 10 scarabs, and an HQ skimmer (I can't remember what it's called).

He won the dice roll and let me have the first turn. I moved up my falcon (holding harlies) and wave serpent (holding the DA's and farseer) and then started shooting at everything I could see. The war walkers got some shots into the immortals, and the vyper, WS, and Falcon took shots at his scarabs. My pathfinders had an open round of shooting on one of his warrior squad. I took out a few scarab bases, but not many. :(

His first turn, he failed all of his will be back rolls, so 1 immortal and two warriors were gone. He then turbo boosted his scarabs into my pathfinders (1 scarab got lost to moving through difficult terrain). He pumped some shots into my tanks, but only managed to shake them both. He also positioned his second unit of scarabs around his immortals, and primed them for a turbo boost into my pathfinders.

My turn 2, I unloaded my dire avengers onto a hill in the middle of the board, and opened fire on the 2nd unit of scarabs. I did the same with my wave serpent. I think I killed two bases. The war walkers kept firing on the Immortals, and the Falcon, pathfinders and vyper tried to take out the other squad of scarabs. I didn't have much luck with that.

His turn 2, his scarabs attacked my pathfinders and my dire avengers. His immortals immobilized 1 warwalker and took off a gun on the other one. More pot shots into my tanks from his warriors, and nothing happened.

My turn 3, The only shooting I had was with one EML from a war walkers and the tanks. I concentrated on one squad of immortals, and took out tow of them.

I unloaded my harlies before that though, and during the assault phase charged into one squad of warriors, wiping them out. I had also tried to tank shock his second squad of warriors and push them back, but it didn't work. I knew I was in trouble when I wiped out the warriors that I charged. I couldn't get into base to base contact with another enemy squad and his turn was coming up. Also, the scarabs ate my pathrfinders, took out a lot of my dire avengers.

His turn 3, he immobilized my falcon by rolling double 5s (this is why I always have vectored engines) and blew up both of my war walkers with his immortals. The scarabs finished off the dire avengers and farseer. the remaining squad of warriors came around my immobilized tank and blew away my harlies.

My turn 4. With just an immobilized falcon, a WS and a vyper, I needed to kill 7 warriors to get a phase out. I killed 4.

His turn 4, I conceded. He was poised to blow away my vyper and that would have left me with nothing but a WS.

Next game I plan to drop the two war walkers for a squad of 3 dark reapers. But any other advice on how to overcome the low strength/toughness of the Eldar army, and any way to deal with scarabs would be a huge help. Other websites have basically called me stupid for not being able to beat them after the first time I've seen them, but I can't do it. I spent my first turn this game pumping every strength 6, high shot count weapon into them, and enough still survived to turn the game in his favor.

·
Son of LO
3,475 Posts
To kill scarabs mate take a scatter laser and shuriken cannon on your falcon. Then unload the mass of instant-killing shots into them. The war walkers can help out if your falcons accuracy is as bad as mine. Also keep in mind that scarabs are jetbikes and get to ignore terrain.

Otherwise I don't think you really made any mistakes, your avengers desperately need a bladestorming exarch. Drop star and vectored engines off your falcon to get him.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
just_will, this thread belongs in the battle report section. However, I'm leaving the original thread link, so that you can access it through the Eldar Froum (which is presumably where you're looking for feedback) :happy:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the mistake

I'd still love advice.

Putting scatter lasers on the falcon sounds like a great move for the scarabs, but what happens two rounds later when I'm facing the immortals?

·
Son of LO
3,475 Posts
Well, you can always pick up the starcannon I guess. It still instant-kills the scarabs still. It all depends on how much trouble you're having with those scarabs, if they're really beating you then go for the scatter laser, if you find you quickly execute them then move then take the starcannon. The scatter laser is a better weapon in general, taking other armies into account, than the starcannon.

Also how is your vyper setup? a pair of shuriken cannons on him tends to devastate scarabs and he costs less than they do.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Scarabs:
ok
1 you were unlucky to a degree, eg squad of DA unloading into scarabs is 30 shots, hitting and wounding on 3s with no armour saves: 20 hits, 14 wounds, 3+ dead bases on average
no problem with the tactic, just the execution was unlucky
2. scarabs are inta killed by str 6 weapons, that means for each str6 wound you remove a whole base, eldar are not short of multi shot str 6 weapons, the scatter laser and shuriken cannon being the best, the laser getting the most shots, the cannon ignoring their save. look for cheap stuff that has multiple of these, ie vypers and walkers

Pathfinders are not good, they lack impact, they just dont kill fast enough, there are some good targets, mostly monsterous creatures or terminators, but not here

the thing with crons is they will be back, but this list isnt brilliant, I assume his skimmer HQ was a lord with a destroyer body - a waste as he has no destroyers or wraiths so could use a lord on foot with res orb and phylactery, he has burned points on stuff that doesnt effect phase out or is expensive for it, so immortals and scarabs are a poor choice here. he has 31 necrons and so phase out is 7, that is your target.

look to isolate warrior and immortal squads away from any resurection orb and hit them hard.

he also has a distinct lack of non-scarab combat units, stuff like banshees and harleys would be very effective, scorps would also be usefull as they can really cut into scarabs and take what comes back, plus the exaarch with a claw will instakill bases

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's a thought:

1. Warp spiders, they have fast movement and have S6 weapons, they'll make short work of the scarabs

2. Since the Pathfinders didn't really do much, try taking a unit of guardians with a Scatter laser or Shuriken cannon platform instead, you'll get some extra points to get an exarch for your Avengers

3. As good as the Harlies are, they're expensive, Striking scorpions with a stalker exarch with a claw and bitting blade is still 29 points cheaper, and just as effective, since you got them in a transport anyway. But with stalker, they infultrate, so you can get them real close with out putting your falcon in jepardy, and you can leave the scorpions in the centre while the falcon and vyper move to flank or come from the rear

4. Trade arround the weapons on your war walkers, have them both have 1 scatter laser and 1 EML, that way, if the enemy ends up taking out one of them, your effectiveness is not hindered.

there is a basic rule i follow: points attract wounds, so maximise the number of effective units and keep your costs low.

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
The only thing I have to add is this: Concentrate fire!

You won't be able to win if you don't wipe out an entire enemy squad before you move onto the next one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a thought:

1. Warp spiders, they have fast movement and have S6 weapons, they'll make short work of the scarabs

2. Since the Pathfinders didn't really do much, try taking a unit of guardians with a Scatter laser or Shuriken cannon platform instead, you'll get some extra points to get an exarch for your Avengers

3. As good as the Harlies are, they're expensive, Striking scorpions with a stalker exarch with a claw and bitting blade is still 29 points cheaper, and just as effective, since you got them in a transport anyway. But with stalker, they infultrate, so you can get them real close with out putting your falcon in jepardy, and you can leave the scorpions in the centre while the falcon and vyper move to flank or come from the rear

4. Trade arround the weapons on your war walkers, have them both have 1 scatter laser and 1 EML, that way, if the enemy ends up taking out one of them, your effectiveness is not hindered.

there is a basic rule i follow: points attract wounds, so maximise the number of effective units and keep your costs low.
The reason I don't like striking scorpions against necrons is because of their lack of power weapons. I've also found that infiltrating my scorpions rarely seems to work as they get owned pretty quickly by enemy fire.

I just don't like the fluff of the warp spiders. I know everyone loves them, but I don't currently own them and don't want to ever give GW any more of my money. So I'll probably never own em.

A unit of guardians or DA's sounds like a good idea. I'll play with that.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well, you probably can't kill 20 scarabs in a thousand point game. They will get into base to base. If you expect to face them, str 6 weapons are the way to go with shooting, and remember that a str 6 blast weapon will two wounds instead of one (they're vulnerable to blast templates). I don't know what the Eldar have, but if you did 4 unsaved wounds with a str 6 blast, you'd kill eight bases. An ordnance weapon on scarabs not in cover is devastating. You also kill bases that way even if they aren't all under the template. If I were you, I'd deploy deep in my zone and spend a turn focused on the scarabs as they turbo up. They'll easily outdistance the rest of the Necron army. The skimmer must have been a Destroyer Lord. Watch out for him: he can keep up with the scarabs and probably will be toting a warscythe, which denies ALL saves.

Power weapons also kill bases automatically. A single power weapon can do a lot of damage in hth.

The trick is in whittling down the units to a manageable level. You should survive if only 4 or 5 get into hth, although killing all of those wounds will leave you effectively speed-bumped.

As for the tanks, try to keep them out of range. Foot slogging immortals need to get within 24." I assume you have better range than that on some of your weapons, but again, I don't know Eldar at all.

Could you fit another squad of Harlies in there? They sound like murder on necron warriors in hth.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Against necrons with eldar you either want to be in CC our far in back shooting. Dark reapers at max range can rip apart any necron unit with a 50% or higher chance to wound and ignoring armor saves. Banshees Harlequin and scorpions are strong choices, as are fire dragons (fusion gun negates WBB and gives no armor save) banshees do the same with their power weapons. Use shiruken cannons against scarabs, insta-kill and no armor saves. Necrons warriors are pitiful in CC, if you could infiltrate some scorpions and run them in to tie up the warriors you could cut them up at your leisure (suppose this works fairly well with mech harlequins as well though)

EMLs on the warwalkers is a good call, since the blast templates will rip up scarabs, and the single shots destroy warriors and immortals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.