6 Scorpions with Exarch
6 Fire Dragons with exarch
5 Warp Spiders with exarch

only just started with eldar so need help with tatics can anyone help:soldier:

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
HQ
Seer council - All of your Farseer/Warlocks - general purpose unit. Best used in conjunction with a Falcon or Wave Serpent

Elites
Fire Dragons - Tank go boom. Also works on Crisis Suits of all varieties. Best used in conjunction with a Falcon or Wave Serpent

Troops
2x Dire Avenger squads - very powerful anti-troop, can put out enough shots to take down Crisis Suits

Fast Attack
Warp Spiders - Very good against heavy units like 'Suits, counter Jump Shoot Jump, moderate damage against tanks, decent against rear-armor

Heavy Support
Wraithlord - I would kit him out with EML, Brightlance, and two Flamethrowers. Best used if one of the Warlocks is upgraded to a spiritseer to negate Wraithsight

Falcon - Take EML or Brightlance to field a lot of S8 shots

Fire Prism - Blasty goodness. Apply appropriate template to mass deep-fry or nuke as appropriate.

If this doesn't fit, start by paring down units such as Warp Spiders and Fire Dragons, Fire Dragons then Warp Spiders. Dragons are a great unit to take down a tank or two or some 'Suits but they are vulnerable to return-fire, whereas the more maneuverable Warp Spiders can put out a good deal of hurt on 'Suits without exposing themselves to the enemy nearly as much.

Then, I would eliminate one or both of the above units, starting with Fire Dragons and then going to Warp Spiders

Then I would make sure that I didn't overdo upgrades on the tanks - give them Holofields and IMO nothing else. They are nearly worthless without their main weapons anyway.

Do not, whatever you do, give the Wraithlord the Wraithsword. So you get to reroll your two monstrous creature hits. Whoopdey do. You are doing that and dropping, say, a blast template or two S8 shots every turn.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Nothing wrong with a wraithsword. Most people who use one chose it because they use their wraithlords to tie up units in CC for most of the game, and the wraithsword helps.
In this case its not the most appropriate choice though unless you think your opponent will be trying to get his kroot on the offensive.
You also don't need to upgrade a warlock to a spiritseer for wraithsight. Any psycher negates wraithsight, you just need a spiritseer to convert a Wraithguard squad to a troop.

You only have 1 falcon and 1 waveserpent, so your main problem is he is a shooty list and you only have the means to get two squads into his face really fast. Warpspiders will help a little in this regard however.
Your jetbikes may also be good if you rush them forward to tie up his units while the rest of your army marches up the feild.
It depends on your playstyle tho

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
You also don't need to upgrade a warlock to a spiritseer for wraithsight. Any psycher negates wraithsight, you just need a spiritseer to convert a Wraithguard squad to a troop.

Your jetbikes may also be good if you rush them forward to tie up his units while the rest of your army marches up the feild.
It depends on your playstyle tho
OMG really? Well, there's a few points that I can save right there. Thanks man.

Also, I totally overlooked the jetbikes. My bad. Those are a very Eldary unit and make an excellent disruption team, especially against JSJ tactics.

·
725 Posts
and a huge blast template which some one said is a missile from a manta
HUH?????

the hammerhead can fire a lg blast template... wheres the manta coming from.??

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Maybe he meant the skyray.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the advice guys will take it onboard maybe get another wave serpent/jetbikes and like you suggest tie him up in combat so my prisms can get to work
the blast template he was using looked like 4 templates joined together and wiped out squad of DA in 1 turn

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
thanks for all the advice guys will take it onboard maybe get another wave serpent/jetbikes and like you suggest tie him up in combat so my prisms can get to work
the blast template he was using looked like 4 templates joined together and wiped out squad of DA in 1 turn
Isn't that... an apocalypse template?

·
Registered
176 Posts
That is an Apocalypse Barrage marker. That's not even remotely legal in a regular game. He actually used this against you in a regular pick up game? You need to seriously call shenanigans next time you see him.
Make sure to remember this, and tell him beforehand so he can re-make his army list. It could be an honest mistake.

Sadly, you're lacking the unit I would absolutely recommend against Crisis Suits: Banshees. If you could add them and another Serpent I'd say you're set. They even slaughter the Kroot in cover.

I disagree with rafis117. This Tau force will have an easy time destroying the Wraithlord. I'd drop him in favour of a second Fire Prism so you can use their link ability.

The Seer Council should go inside your Falcon and move as fast as possible to his gun line (his units don't seem very mobile, which is his weakness). Be sure they have Fortune, as you'll need it against the shots they'll be absorbing. Make one of your Troops a Dire Avenger Squad in a Serpent and the other either a foot Dire Avenger or Jetbike squad. Jetbikes would be preferable in this case but they might be too expensive.

·
725 Posts
Ya.. the apoc blast marker.. dont even konw why he would think thats legal or he became desperate and decided the tables needed some turning. I would venture to guess this was more cheeting than a rule mix up...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
again thanks for the advice have a chance of getting some Banshees so will go with them in wave serpent and look at getting another WS
have not played apocalypse before so didnt no what type of template it was but will definately mention it next time I see him

·
Registered
154 Posts
Huh, a fire warrior squad without a devilfish? o_O

It doesn't seem like he has a particularly mobile army, and gunline tau aren't the best (trust me, tried to run them) Though one note on the fire prism, if you use it to link up and destroy a tank, you might run into a bit of a booboo, as any tau player worth his salt will have disruption pods, which basically give him a cover fire from over 12', or maybe its 24, don't have my codex on me at the moment. I'm of the school that fire dragons would be better because of this for anti tank, and they obliterate suits if you can catch him within range... this actually seems like a situation that the fire pike would be a good thing to have.

Thats my two cents anyways.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
Huh, a fire warrior squad without a devilfish? o_O

It doesn't seem like he has a particularly mobile army, and gunline tau aren't the best (trust me, tried to run them) Though one note on the fire prism, if you use it to link up and destroy a tank, you might run into a bit of a booboo, as any tau player worth his salt will have disruption pods, which basically give him a cover fire from over 12', or maybe its 24, don't have my codex on me at the moment. I'm of the school that fire dragons would be better because of this for anti tank, and they obliterate suits if you can catch him within range... this actually seems like a situation that the fire pike would be a good thing to have.

Thats my two cents anyways.
I'm pretty sure that it's twelve. My friend gloats about it constantly. And the Prism cannon is a blast weapon and the Disruption Pods, as I understand them, have no effect on pie plates. Plus it's TL when you link them up, although against 'Fish or 'Suits there is not a whole lot of reason to, AV 12 and T4, respectively.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Wait did I see that someone said you only need a spirit seer to make wrathguard troops?

That is wrong, a 10 man squad of wrathguard can be a troop, and a spiritseer increases the range to negate wrath sight to wrath guard and wrath lords.

I believe the normal range of a psyker is 6" but spirit seers are 12".

Yes he will get his cover save against prism weapons.

Yes banshees make mince meat of anything tau has that isnt in a tank. A doomseer ensures it.

Seer councils have trouble absorbing rapid firing fire warriors. Wounding on 2s is just too many wounds, fortuned or not.

The funnest thing is to tank shock his fire warriors, they have a relatively low leadership. 7 I believe. Always have aback up plan though, dont want 10 fire warriors rapid firing into the rear of your wave serpeant!

Suits are highly over priced at the moment so he wont be able to spam you too bad. As long as you put everything in a tank, you should be fine, just watch out for deep striking ones with their melta equivelents equipped.

seer councils make much better use attacking armor where they excel greatly. They actually arnt that good in combat. but that is my opinion.

As for your army. 2 prisms are a 100% must. you are going to need more wave serpeants. you are gonna have to suck it up and buy it haha. all the good lists currently are spamming them =). good luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Disruption pods give them a cover save, so yeah, it would give them a save against the prims blast.

It wouldn't give them a cover save against any Ordinance Barrage weapons (that ignore cover saves), though.
If a specific piece of wargear gives you a cover save, then you can take it against Barrage weapon.

It's only if you're trying to claim cover saves from intervening models or area terrain where they need to be between the blast and you. Weapons that flat out ignore cover saves will specifically say so in their entry.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
If a specific piece of wargear gives you a cover save, then you can take it against Barrage weapon.

It's only if you're trying to claim cover saves from intervening models or area terrain where they need to be between the blast and you. Weapons that flat out ignore cover saves will specifically say so in their entry.
Hmmm, but it says that it gives a cover save from more than 12 inches away (paraphrasing my friend who was paraphrasing the Tau Codex), so I'm not sure if barrage weapons are even considered.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Ord Barrage weapons say they ignore cover saves.

That peice of tau wargeasr says if the opponenet is shooting over 12" away then they get a 4+ cover save.

Therefore would not get it.

If flamers had templates longer than 12" they wouldnt get it either.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.