Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Uber Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an idea for my Monolith that will use the Line of Site rules to our advantage. Since a Monolith is a skimmer it seems that it would be alright to elevate it off of a platform so that units behind the Monolith can shoot "through" it. However, sometimes it is useful to have the Monolith grounded to block line of site and protect the units behind it. I was thinking of making a simple platform with a lift that could go up or down as needed. Then when the Monolith is in its moving phase I could not only move it in a direction but could also raise or lower it depending on the desired position. What do you think? Would this be against any rules?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't think it's explicitly against the rules to have it elevated or not, but I don't think it's allowed to just rise and sink when it wants. I think it has to be at the same height all the way through. I don't have my rulebook on me just now, so can't check it. If it was allowed it would be declared pretty cheesy no doubt.

·
This is for the haters...
1,308 Posts
This would be against the rules (Models need to be on the base they come with), and i don't see any opponent allowing such a contraption

·
Uber Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems like this would be more realistic since it actually would be raising and lowering during a real battle. However, if its not going to be accepted by opponents I'll scratch the idea.

·
2,434 Posts
it states in the rule book under the section of skimmers been immobilised somewhere that the only point in a game where skimmer can be taken off its base is when it is immobilised.

and for changing height thing if ur that bad at wanting to mess about like that then good luck finding opponents its just not with the spirit of the game

·
Registered
35 Posts
On Page 39 of the Necron Codex in the Necron Tactics Picture there is clearly a Monolith on a skimmer base so i think it is legal to have it on a base but cheesey even as a necron player myself to change its elevation just to gain an advantage.

·
This is for the haters...
1,308 Posts
On Page 39 of the Necron Codex in the Necron Tactics Picture there is clearly a Monolith on a skimmer base so i think it is legal to have it on a base but cheesey even as a necron player myself to change its elevation just to gain an advantage.
Then we turn to the back cover of the codex and see the monolith is no on a flying base at all

The problem with most of the pictures in the codex is that a bunch of them were essentially prototype models for the pictures used in the codex

that and since theire is essentially a big hole in the bottom of the monolith, a flying base will have no effect

·
Uber Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it states in the rule book under the section of skimmers been immobilised somewhere that the only point in a game where skimmer can be taken off its base is when it is immobilised.
I never said anything about wanting to take the Monolith off of the base.

Yeah, I know its legal to have it raised. That's where I got the idea.

I really wasn't that concerned about getting the tactical advantage by having it raise and lower. I was just thinking it would be cool and more realistic as this is what the skimmer would really be doing as it was lowering to let troops out. The tactical advantage was just a plus, but not really needed since the Monolith is a powerhouse the way it is.

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

that and since theire is essentially a big hole in the bottom of the monolith, a flying base will have no effect
Oh, I could make a base. I'm not worried about that. :curl-lip:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Some level of creative licence can be taken with the basing of models. For example scenic bases are allowed, as long as you don't have 50 space marines each on 60 mm scenic bases. A monolith is perfect for a scenic base as it is likely to be a centerpiece of the army. A mechanism to raise and lower the monolith is great as you can represent an immobilised monolith easily. Raising and lowering the monolith at will, most people won't like that. Do it for the cool factor of actually having a skimming monolith that can be immobilised properly. Bending the rules is not really a tactical advantage and would cost you sportsman points in tournaments (probably lose more than you would get for the cool base and conversion)

CrownAxe seems to be in a bad mood, perhaps at the suggestion of rules bending. Do the conversion for awesomeness, not for evil. I'm also told that early monoliths came with flying bases, GW gave up as it was a pretty hopeless idea with their existing flying bases.

·
1,880 Posts
This wouldn't be allowed, primarily because then ALL skimmers could do it. Just raise em up, get that right angle, etc. Bases like stated are to be the ones they come with (unless like us, doesn't come with one). Adding a 'fixed' base is ok, but moving parts like that are stretching it, even though I don't believe the rules address this specifically...it's implied.

Nice try though, like the idea!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
What you COULD do is make a house rule for that. Like how high or low the vehicles can fly, if they have to roll for dangerous terrain if they fly too fast and too low (maybe even rolls per 6' of movement), etc.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I would allow you to use something like that. Only stipulation I would make is that you can only raise/lower at the start of your turn, and you can only do one or the other. To me that minimized the potential for cheesiness, as then if you can shoot me, I can shoot you, and if you can't shoot me, I can't shoot you, and vice versa. I think it would be really cool to see something like that.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Having a raisng/lowering monolith could be problematic for you too when using it. Imagine if you tried to teleport Necrons through it and it was raised. You'd maybeget 2 or 3 models before you had fulfilled the no more than 2 inches from access point rule.

·
Uber Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would allow you to use something like that. Only stipulation I would make is that you can only raise/lower at the start of your turn, and you can only do one or the other. To me that minimized the potential for cheesiness, as then if you can shoot me, I can shoot you, and if you can't shoot me, I can't shoot you, and vice versa. I think it would be really cool to see something like that.
That's cool. That is exactly how I planned on using it if I were to make the model.
Having a raisng/lowering monolith could be problematic for you too when using it. Imagine if you tried to teleport Necrons through it and it was raised. You'd maybeget 2 or 3 models before you had fulfilled the no more than 2 inches from access point rule.
I think you missed the whole point. It lowers to let units off during the movement phase. If its not lowered units aren't going to come out of it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
That makes sense. So how does the routine work for raising/lowering it work then? Would it be raised all the time, only dropping when unloading units, or would you just decide when to raise and lower it? I'm not accusing you of being a bad sport but I can imagine some people would use such a conversion for evil. E.G. Raising it to let his own models shoot under it, then lowering it to hide them from line of sight when the opponent gets his turn. It could be exploited by more morally dubious players.

·
Uber Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I'm probably not going to build it anytime soon based off the responses. I don't want to waste my time building a model that will be controversial.

The idea was to have the model raise or lower during the movement phase. If I planned on letting troops out that turn I'd have to lower it and leave it lowered. I was planning on raising or lowering it for whatever reason, but it would have to remain that way for the rest of the turn. Now that I think about it I may have to listen to Lemt and make a house rule such as the Monolith has to be raised to move. This would definitely work to my disadvantage but it would be more realistic.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
It's a fantastic idea and of course you should build it.
That would be a realistic and awesome monolith.
Then if your opponent do not like the idea of you 'lith gaining height, then just don't use that special feature for that game. Keep it in one height.
Some people will allow you to use it and then it'd be all the more fun for all involved.

Once again, it's a great idea that should not be dropped due to some people not liking it from a rule-perspective.

Here, have both a :qq: and some Rep.

·
1,880 Posts
That makes sense. So how does the routine work for raising/lowering it work then? Would it be raised all the time, only dropping when unloading units, or would you just decide when to raise and lower it? I'm not accusing you of being a bad sport but I can imagine some people would use such a conversion for evil. E.G. Raising it to let his own models shoot under it, then lowering it to hide them from line of sight when the opponent gets his turn. It could be exploited by more morally dubious players.
I agree with your thought here, the only way I'd allow it was if he only got ONE choice for a full turn cycle. Meaning if he raised it to shoot under it, the enemy gets the same benefit...HOWEVER, think of the cover save he'd be granting himself too, I just think it's streching it too far (although still a fun concept if someone will let you use it).

·
Registered
212 Posts
is there not a rule that states that skimmers do not block LOS?
Look up what "True Line of Sight" means. Consider that a Monolith, even on a regular flying base, still pretty much reaches all the way to the ground (maybe about a 2-4 mm clearance) so that you'd be hard pressed to even see the bases of the models standing behind a monolith.
True Line of Sight (TLOS) pretty much trumps all, even if it is units standing behind a Wavehawk. If you can see them past the vehicle, you can shoot them. If you can't see them behind the vehicle (say it's a guardian squad standing on a hill at the perfect elevation so that they're actually behind the wavehawk chassis) then you can't shoot them or can only partially shoot them (one guardian on the flanks is waving at you).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts