Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and gals.

I'm now painting up a Beastman warband for Mordheim. Just wondered what everyones opinion on an elite 5/6 model warband would be??

Mostly hero models with good armour and weapons.

Get discussing!

MILO.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
From experience - not good. You won't have enough models to seriously compete - Rout tests start coming at the loss of 1/2 models, armour in mordheim isn't also all that effective - it is too easy to start negating it (axes on a S4 model = -2 armour save).
Also, with that few models you will most likely find that you don't have enough meatshields to protect your heroes - and no heroes means no exploration which in turn means no money.
What I do, and I daresay a lot of people do as well, is start with a fairly good number of models first, and then look at getting the fancy equipment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With that in mind. I revised the warband. 5 hero models (my max), 3 gor and 2 warhounds.

10 model warband.

Cheif - axe, shield, fd
Shaman - axe, fd
Bestigor 1 - 2 x axe, fd
Bestigor 2 - double handed axe, fd
Centigor - spear, shield, fd
3 x Gor - swords and fd's
2 x warhounds

500 gold crowns...well spent?

x

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
That's looking a lot better - you have a good number of models in there, and enough meatshields to protect your heroes, as well as stick around for a couple more turns before routing (well, hopefully anyway).
And the axes mean that anyone with armour will generally find it rather ineffective.

·
RAWR! KROXIGOR!!
1,935 Posts
My dwarf warband has been doing quite fine in my campaign. I've won 5 games from 5 (even a 3 player multiplayer where the other two ganged up on me) despite having only 2/3 the warband members of my opponents. My warband now has only 10 members with the other players having between 12-17. My group does use rules that buff armour though (armour is cheaper, armour gives saves against serious injuries, shield give 5+ save and 'off hand' weapons have a -1 to hit).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Cheif - axe, shield, fd
Shaman - axe, fd
Bestigor 1 - 2 x axe, fd
Bestigor 2 - double handed axe, fd
Centigor - spear, shield, fd
3 x Gor - swords and fd's
2 x warhounds
Personally for a warband starting out you wont really see a great deal of armor on characters if your opponents know what they are doing. And if you do you will probably outnumber them and will still get -1 to armor just from most models being Str 4. Second point from what I'm told by experianced players is that two handed weapons hurt more than they help till you get get the strongarm ability meaning you strike normally rather than always strike last.

My advice would be loose the shields on the characters, replace the axes with maces because stun is cool straight up and cheap. Ditch the double handed axe till you get strongarm on someone. And swap the swords with maces instead.

This is the same list I posted in here before but yeh.

chieftan w/ mace + free dagger
shaman w/ mace + free dagger
beastigor w/ mace + free dagger
beastigor w/ mace + free dagger
centigor w/ mace + free dagger

gor w/ mace + free dagger
5x warhounds of chaos

You get three more warhounds in this list and reach the 13 model mark.

One question though... Does a spear on a centigor count as a spear on a cavalry model? It does in WHFB just don't remember reading the rules in the Beastmen list that treated him the same as a cavalry model. And if so I take it that means he cant enter buildings?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts