Librarium Online Forums banner

Whic is the most effective disruption unit or combination of such units?

• ellyrion reavers

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • shaddow warriors

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • great eagles

Votes: 27 52.9%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just wondered what disruption units or combinations of these units people thought were most effective and why do you think so? Personally its ellyrion revers and great eagles. Reasons being the ellyrion reavers I can use to prevent scouts marchblocking my troops, for harrasing the enemy and for their move and fire through 360 degress without penalty. Great eagles for their high movement and for redirrecting enemy units and their pretty good at taking out lone mages. The shaddow warriors hatred lets them down for me they have to pursue and with my armies inevitably end up pursueing in the wrong direction.

·
2,244 Posts
I put down Shadow warriors. I am not very good at fast cavalry yet and in all my years playing them have never used the reavers, don't own the models, they cost too much and are a hassle to buy, so they were out of the running for me.

In the previous edition it would have been eagles hands down but with the changes made in the recent army book shadow warriors are great.
Harder to kill (more of them and skirmishers) is a trade off for being a little slow but we normally get a bit of terrain around.

What has clinched it for me though is their combat ability, flank charge with 5 into small low armoured units (witchelves, archers, handgunners etc) and you will win the first round combat easily the eagles have recently been too unreliable in this area for my liking.

·
Registered
137 Posts
For me it has to be Shadow Warriors although I usually use them in combination with at least one Eagle.
I just find that their combat ability against lowly armoured enemy units is invaluable to my way of playing as I can continue to hassle the enemy from behind whilst still stopping them from marching with my Eagle. They also work brilliantly in combination when I use my hunter noble mounted on great eagle to form an extremely powerful hunter team that can take on most things left at the rear of an enemies army.

As far as Ellyrion Reavers are concerned I must admit that I have never used them in all my years of playing HE as I haven't really had a use for them. Before the recent updates I used to use small units of Silver Helms to fill their role as they were around the same points but just with a lot better combat potential and save. Under the new rules it just doesn't fit in with my plans but I know some players who won't leave home without them.

To be honest although they are all disruption units I see each of them filling three separate roles. Shadow Warriors are great at hunting the enemy back units down and taking them out. Eagles are fantastic with there flying at slowing the enemy down so you can blast them with everything you have got and I imagine that the Reavers would be good at protecting your flanks and also taking on anything that gets behind your lines.

A lot of it will depend on your playing style.

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Personally I think that Shadow Warriors are there to hunt war machines and light missile troops.

I think that haviing a random eagle in an army doesn't really look right so I don't use them. I like Ellyrion Reavers more due to their versatility.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
I voted for reavers. They have so many different roles they can perform. There movement is phenomonal. They have a better chance of killing something than shadow warriors any day and are even more resilient. The eagle would be next in line, mainly for his cheapness (lowest point cost unit in the book). Shadow warriors I won't take. They are way too easy to kill, can rarely get in position to charge a warmachine and are much too expensive. Either you guys play with tons more terrain than we do or your opponents don't have a clue as to deployment. Almost every army has something to fight/oppose scouts. Or maybe you guys play closed lists, so they don't know you have scouts. Now that they are more expensive, and still take up a special slot, they are even more of a waste to me. They should have made them rare slot and put the silver helms back in the core and left the army structure alone. I also think the RBT has a better chance of taking out warmachine crews, the only thing the RBT can't do is march block. I would never charge a unit in the flank with the shadow warriors, because despite their weaponskill, their str is so pitiful, that I would be afraid of losing more shadow warriors than enemies dying.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
My Choice is either Shadow Warriors or Ellyrion Reavers, with the emphasis on the Reavers. With their spears and bows they are so good at multiple things. Shadow Warriors are nice to take pot shots at light infantry/cavalry and maybe get that lucky charge at a mage or warmachine crew but are pretty high priced for what they do.

Really I only find Eagles very good at march blocking. I only really have one in my list at the moment because I had 55 points left and needed something of that sort and it fits my fluff as a friend of my archmage (informed the elves of the enemy they are fighting kind of thing). As soon as I hit 2250 its getting replaced with a bolt thrower and some reavers or shadow warriors.

·
319 Posts
If I could, I'd go for Drain Magic :)rofl:) so I chose Great Eagles, but only if they're in a pair mind!

1 - They are the best march blockers we have

2 - Two of them can really mess up a Dwarven gunline if you can get the flanks and hit the rear

3 - I just recieved my £30 order for two direct only Great Eagle are they are huge! Gorgeous models and very very imposing on the battletop.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
My Choice is either Shadow Warriors or Ellyrion Reavers, with the emphasis on the Reavers. Now that they can get spears and/or bows they are so good at multiple things.
ummm... we've always had that option. :rofl

anyways, I still vote the Ellyrions. I may be biased, seeing as i converted a unit of 5 of them for about $150, but that's beside the point!
Skirmishers no longer negate ranks, and our lovely Shadows are too expensive for their job. Sure, they can manage alot of damage, but that doesn't matter- they don't get ranks, and are often acting in a position where they will be flooded with foes by the time you can get the rest of your army to them. Yes, I understand the desire to get those extra early shots in at mages and warmachines, but we've got better alternatives with magic and line-shooting.

Reavers on the other hand are fast enough that they can be kept safe, and then race forward and get behind an enemy to march block him. Remember- I'm pretty sure skirmishers don't marchblock either (in the new rules).

Eagles, too expensive, no shooting, not much faster than reavers. One shot guy for 50pts? no. i'll pass.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Great Eagles do great things in pairs. But my RBT's have done super things in triplets and quadruplets :p.

Their movement is amazing, but my Reavers move almost as fast and don't take up a RBT slot.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow. This is a tough poll. It just depends on what I am doing with the rest of my list. So here is when and why I like each one best. I picked shadow warriors because I often like to force the enemy to me. In doing so the Eagles get shot up and the reavers need to wait for the enemy. The shadow warriors have a bit more flexibility and tend to get the machine crews I need, march block or simply be used to prevent the enemy from scouting me (depending on who the enemy is).

Eagles: When I play aggressive and advance and infantry heavy, I want eagles to run down the enemy and clear the initial one or two machines that cause me the most trouble.

Reavers: The faster my army moves and the more cavalry takes a "swing" to envelop, the more I like fast cavalry to protect my battlelines from breaking in say . . . the center.

Scouts: When you play defensively I like to have the enemy worry, "Do I bother with these pests and claer them, or do I go forward towards the main force"? Similarly, you have to love shooting the enemy in the back!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I use Eagles, mainly for the points.

They are really the only throw away unit our army has and they allow you to take more special models now. I take at least one, but most of the time I take two.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I disagree with anyone who claims that Reavers are as fast as eagles. Eagles fly, when used to hunt down characters, eagles will "jump" intervening units/obstacles that cavalry has to dodge around. Also, eagles cannot be march blocked.
This does not, however, make them better than that cavalry...
:happy:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I like using eagles, it is so easy to get them to where you need to get them, you can protect them with terrain somewhat and then you can simply fly them over near the other units (out of LOS) for an easy flank, I like using them to go right behind the enemy units as a nice march block, then I when they are somewhat pinned you can range them, and outrange the enemy for a charge of your own (most of the time) another good thing about eagles is the points, they also have 3 wounds! Sure they can still die easily, but you just sorta gotta be smart with em! I would say eagles are among the best, although I also do use shadow warriors, and reavers (not all in combinations of 3 however). But really it is quite specific to the map and scenario, however eagles are usually suited for just about everything!

Regards,

VD*

P.S I also use them on the last turn to go capture other quadrants, usually netting a nice bonus of points that has caused a victory or two ^^

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
I like using eagles, it is so easy to get them to where you need to get them, you can protect them with terrain somewhat and then you can simply fly them over near the other units (out of LOS) for an easy flank, I like using them to go right behind the enemy units as a nice march block, then I when they are somewhat pinned you can range them, and outrange the enemy for a charge of your own (most of the time) another good thing about eagles is the points, they also have 3 wounds! Sure they can still die easily, but you just sorta gotta be smart with em! I would say eagles are among the best, although I also do use shadow warriors, and reavers (not all in combinations of 3 however). But really it is quite specific to the map and scenario, however eagles are usually suited for just about everything!

Regards,

VD*

P.S I also use them on the last turn to go capture other quadrants, usually netting a nice bonus of points that has caused a victory or two ^^
good to see you VD, it's been a while since you posted. A question for you though, don't you have to have unit strength of 5+ to capture table quarters?

IMO, eagles are good at march blocking and that is it. Mine never seem to hit anything (even mages w/ WS3) so getting them in combat is almost always a waste. They are too small to hit a flank or add wounds, so usually they flutter around, and hope they don't get killed too early in the game. I'll usually take 1 for grins. I took two last game and charged both into a glade guard unit of 8-9. Neither of them hit a single WE even though I needed 3 and 3's and then both broke and fled. They rarely seem to pass a leadership test (like charging a screaming skull catapult) I know they should be better, but mine always let me down. My reavers at least perform the task they are supposed to. I don't dare take the shadow warriors, because depending on terrain, they can be totally useless in scouting/marchblocking. Putting them in combat seems like a waste, since they will most likely die to anything that puts up a fight and for the same points, I could get some whitelions or swordmasters or bulk up my PG (or get more reavers)

·
NCIS fan
818 Posts
Reavers - Leading out fanatics, leading around "frenzy" units, or just basically setting up a unit for the "smack down". They also can be ran down the flank, and fire into units. If you are good enough, you can weave through your opponent's line, and charge/shoot his war machine crews/mages.

Shadow Warriors - Running around/over/through areas, they can set up in a nice spot and fire away. Team them up, with a small unit of White Lions, and really have some fun! Only now, the shadow warriors are affected by "hatred". This will make them tricky to use now, for your shadow warriors can have their "hatred" used against them.

Great Eagles - War machine crews, mages, and flanking small units. They can be bought, as mounts, for nobles. This, in turn, allows you to take some nasty weapon combos. A noble, with the Reaver Bow, speeding along on a great eagle? However, you must be careful, as great eagles are not hardy creatures. Though, if need be, they can be "thrown away" should such a tactic arise.

Just my opinion....

·
Lord Admiral
2,608 Posts
The Reavers are actually rather underrated - the number of attacks that they have is excellent - they have S4 on the charge, can fire when reforming into the most awkward shapes for enemy units to see/charge etc, and have the ability to march and fire. They are also better armoured than SHadow warriors, and have a significantly improved movement rate

·
Registered
198 Posts
My opinion is that the eagles are best. Why? Speed, maneuverability, flying. As has been said, the ability to get behind cover and then fly over it is awesome. Flying over entire wooded areas is great. That should be enough for them to be great disrupters in the hands of a skilled player. In pairs it is easy to pick off machine crews and usually faster at doing so then the Reavers of Shadow Warriors. They can also be effective going after lone characters. In combat, they're not the strongest of creatures, but having them support say, a Dragon Mage, is powerful (good as a tarpit too). The other two units in question couldn't keep up with a dragon or a souped-up character on a flying mount.

In terms of playing the game, there is still more to consider that people have brought up: terrain, rare slots being taken, etc. But that doesn't mean that they are any less good at what they do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Eagles are the most usable imo. Nice in points and in variability. You can use them for alot of things, and these things are said already :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.