Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking 2 start an alysian army what do u think is better a platoon army or a vet sq army
i cant decide :doh: would welcome a hand from anyone

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is not obligatory to buy Forgeworld models to represent your Elysian Storm Troopers. Properly painted 'Cadian Sock Troops' could fit well. You can even invent your own homeworld or take the Drop Troop formations of an existing Imperial World. This world could be civilised and industrialised or have a very hard-to-live atmosphere where your people live in space stations and people go down to its surface to harvest oils and gas and export to other worlds. There are plenty of inspirations for us Guard players and that is one of the reasons I play Guard.

I'd advice to go Veterans. Carapace Armor from the Grenadiers doctrine could fit well thematically as your troops might want to use tough and durable armor to support their drops and their assaults. For vehicles, you could go Sentinels and offcourse, Valkyries and Vendettas.

You might even want an Infantry Platoon with a Heavy Weapon for every squad. Not all of your units need to 'combat drop'. Some units could have dropped far away using non-combat transports and do some walk on their way to the field.

Still, the final choice is yours...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Holding your own.

You need to hold onto your objectives as well as putting pressure on the opponents one so I would second steadfasts view.

I am pretty settled on a backline of:
CCS (vox, banner & autocannon), PCS (vox & autocannon) 4 squads arranged in 2 combined units of 20 each with a vox & 2 autocannons. These can sit on my objectives and attempt to hold or at least contest ownership.

Then go for Vets in Valks, maybe even a penal legion drop squad with a priest. Personally not fond of stormtroopers even if they can potentially avoid drop problems.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'd not bother with Grenadiers. 4+ save isn't too hot, you're much better of with Forward Sentries in that case.

Still, as an elite drop regiment, I'd actually expect each veteran squad to have a heavy weapon with them: heavy bolters, mortars, or auto-cannons would do you well here, and would fit into the theme.

Plus the forge world Sentinels just rock....

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you get IA8 Raid on Kastorel-Novem, the list in there fits quite nicely. Here's mine using the IA8 list, because in the IA8 list valkyries are transports, and there is a gunship called the vulture, allowing you to have up to 110 valkyrie frames on one organisation chart!!
Back to the world of sanity, in my 1000 point list linked above, there are 3 valkyries and a vulture gunship. Pwnage. Plus the CCS and 2 veteran squads makes for an undeniably awesome army. Definately stick with vet squads, but don't bother with heavy weapons because you will rarely get to use them. The valk that they should be in should provide the covering fire that they need. As for the doctrine, I use demolitions for the demo charge that has been known to wipe out entire termy squad, and multipe basilisks too. But the good thing about doctrines is that they don't nescasarily need to be displayed on the model, so print out multiple army lists for them :D. Just have a go and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts