Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a review of my current state and questions for other solutions.

A) I hate non-dispellible magic. In my opinion its cracked. I can think of tactics around it and won't refuse to play a player who uses it. But I wouldn't use it, as I don't find it fun or in the spirit of the game. Yes, I am one of those apparently dying off themed/spirit of the game/tactical players.

B) Having had a balanced Empire army (2k <30 Hand Gunners and only 2 War Machines, Mortar and Hellstorm) means I'm never really worried by the Storm Banner or other "I stop you shooting" takers.

C) That in mind, I am frustrated and fed up with the Dwarf Anvil of Doom with Thorek Ironbrow combo I keep facing.

D) My solution so far is to charge a healthy 10 strong unit of Knight 'o Inner Circle at the blasted thing and have pistollers sneak up the side I case of uber death of said Knights. If the knights make it, they usually mush the Anvil crew and Thorek, especially when my Warrior Priest or Grand Master is in the Unit. (meaning 550 plus points for me) But it takes 4-5 turns.

E) So I ask, have others faced this? Thought of cunning nasty tactical tricks to keep the Cheese Munching Short Arses on their hairy toes? With Empire armies obviously.

·
Now 17% more helpful
2,247 Posts
Right, I will answer these in order, as you have been nice enough to label your points.

A) Well, it is the way it is. It is only really broken if Thorek is involved, which I will get to later. If you don't like it, use some fast cav with guns, or mortar it. The thing may have a ward save, but drop a lump of mortar on it and it will kill the crew eventually. Bear in mind that the normal powers are rather weak, and on ancient power, it has a half chance of going wrong, (without Thorek)

B) No Response required

C) Well yes, he is a pain, but not the be all and end all. He keeps rolling, eventually he will fail. Spend your time and mortar on his head, and eventually his little reroll friend will buy it, then it is on. Either that, or get some scouts into combat early.

D) I think a couple of units of scouts will serve you better, backed up by pistolleers. As I have said, the mortar and hellstorm will damage the unit, and if you can kill his little buddy, (not enough for look out sir), then the reroll is gone, and you have the game back. Bear in mind, you could sit back. You outrange the anvil with your warmachines. Cannons are also viable, because they draw a straight line. Fails his ward save and he is toast.

E) All explained above.

In future though, remember this. All units can be beaten. It is a case of working out how, not moaning if you get spanked by them.

ninja out

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I apologise if i appeared to be moaning. Was not my intent. I generally beat the army with the Anvil (minor or draw with Moral victory)

The Mortar and the Hellstorm are his first targets (small size and no armour save).

I was looking to see if people had tried things like a Death Wizard casting Doom and Darkness? Or other such things.

But thank you for the suggestions my pheomelanianly endowed friend.

·
Now 17% more helpful
2,247 Posts

I was looking to see if people had tried things like a Death Wizard casting Doom and Darkness? Or other such things.
Biggest problem there is the anvil is effectively a piece of terrain. It is immune to most magic, unless it is shooting magic. I suppose, that spell could work, but as the unit is unbreakable with the anvil, tests aren't really going to help you.

Spells like soul steal and drain life could work, but again, the 4+ ward will protect it, and it has to be cast successfully at close range, limiting its effects early on.

In the end, 2 cannons might be your best bet.

ninja out

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
is this the only guy you can play? We've got a few players that always want to bring ridiculous lists up to play, but there is enough of us just looking for a fun game, that we let them play each other and then we just play our own lists. I just wouldn't play the list. Tell him his list isn't that fun to play against, and if he wants to play, he needs to come up with something different to play against you. Basically, all the strategies have been mentioned. Anvils are silly tough, and you have to charge them to take them out of the game.

·
Banned
4,252 Posts
In the end, 2 cannons might be your best bet.

ninja out
I was just about to add that myself. Focus on Kraggi then Thorak and eventually he's going to start failing his Ward Saves and when he does, he'll be calling your cannons cheese and unsportsmanlike (ever notice how those types of players don't like that stuff being done to them, but they're OK using it?). D6 wounds on Thorek will be a killer.

If I were you, I'd invest in a Master Engineer. 265 points for a bit more reliability and being able to bring a 500+ character down seems good in my books.

-AFG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.