Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I'm debating about starting a new army as I played dwarfs about 6 years ago. I was thinking about either empire or brets. I like empire that they are a little more balanced and that their troops can hold their own, but I like brets better for their models. I really don't like the looks of the empire troops with their fluffy pants and what not. I also want to do a themed army, after watching Kingdom of Heaven I want to do a crusdaer themed army. I feel like the brets are better for their looks to fit my theme, but the empire would be more of the style I'm looking for, because I don't want to completely rely on cavalry. What do you guys think?

·
Blistering Barnacles!
895 Posts
Models are important in conserving the energy you get when you start an army. Consider whether you prefer having a good-looking force to a strong army on the tabletop. Personally I far prefer the empire range, an Empire have much better plastic kits... they are much more versatile in the game too. You could even start Empire and use Bret knights as Empire knights if you can't decide, and peasants as swordsmen

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
i agree.

empire has a solid base and you can expand in many directions, and brets is really meant for the cavalry.

if your not much into cavalry the bretts are not the right place to be, although you can sneak in some of their models like Hex says.

personally if id go for crusader type, i would go for the
brettonian 'men at arms' along with some older squire models for archers and knights panther as elite cavalry.
add Valten for some serious good looks and some priest warriors
dont forget a war alter, AKA the Pope mobile and possibly a brettonian lord with lion emblems to resemble a king like Lionheart.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys thanks for the replies I really appreciate it. Do you think people would be bothered by the fact that I was using brets as empire though? Because it is kind of proxying

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
i know a guy who uses skinks for his daemons and another that uses dwarfs for his undead, funnily they are amongst the most popular armies around.
If you have a good theme and the models make sense (What you see is what you get), people could care less about where the models are made for.

i use models from other games, like grenadier and reaper, so do alot of others on L.O.

when you think about tournaments its another story, you will have to make sure the judges are ok with this kind of armybuilding.

if this is proxying, i do not know

·
Registered
326 Posts
The whole "counts as" vs "proxy" is a pretty old issue for GW games. I believe that GWs official stance is counts as is ok as long as it is clear what it is in for, and that it is GW models. Anything not GW is considered by them to be a proxy. Personally I would only consider a coke can as a bloodthrister or empty bases proxies, but I guess it all comes down to what type of event you go to.

To an extent GW actually encourages counts as armies, as in doesn't really hurt their sales at all. Heck that is why they want you to convert so much, so you will still run units that you don't like the models for, and often buy even more GW product than if you just bought the "official" model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.