Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I´ve always liked the Nob models and their background as well.. Now that I´m starting a warband of my own I´ve already gotten a squad of mega-nobz as these were the ones I wanted to paint first.. These are fairly easy to equip in the army list.. :)

However, with the abundance of choice for normal nobz units, I was wondering how you equip your mobs..

Mob size, tooled up with painboy and fists or just cheap and dirty with a waagh banner for loads of S5 attacks on the charge. Or even the big choppa option, how´s that working our for you? Trukk, battle wagon or foot sloggers, warboss atached or on their own. Too many options... !

Now let the discussion begin.. :C

·
Registered
472 Posts
When I initially started using Nobz I had 10 in a Trukk and equipped them with 5 Heavy Choppas, 1 Doc, Waaagh! Banner, Bosspole, 'eavy armour and cybork bodies. It worked fairly well but then I wasn't to happy about the survivability of the Trukk so I switched it out to the sturdier Battlewagon. This went pretty well too and I still run my Nobz up the field in their converted land raider battlewagon. Now as for their weapons I was satisfied with Str 7 on the charge with 5 of my guys with a huge chunk of other Str 5 attacks with the rest but I was frequently finding out that against marines I really needed that element of the power weapon. A while back I started to run 1 PK but last night I ran with 2 PKs and 3 BC. It turned out to be really effective. There's that element of really strong easily wounding attacks coming from your squad with a portion of those disallowing armour saves. Then you have the same number of attacks that have a really good chance against high armour vehicles while you have a good chunk of attacks to back you up on the lighter vehicles. Well, there's my 2 cents. Hope that helps.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
What he said, plus a little more

I agree with thegodofnothing. The second list, with two powerfists, three big choppas, one doc, waagggh banner, and cybork bodies, will serve you well.

The only question is how to get them to the battle. There are essentially two sides to the argument: Bike vs. Battlewagon.

Both are expensive, and both have their ups and downs, but in any case, don't just slog it on foot. Nobz are too tempting a target to just leave alone.

Bikes are VERY fast, and you don't have to worry about constantly enbarking and disembarking. Also, they improve their toughness and save.

Mega armor and battlewagons are more resistant to enemy fire, but if the wagon is stopped, they're going to have to slog the rest of the way, which can be VERY annoying or even impossible if they're slowed down by mega armor.

Another problem is that after they win the first combat, they'll have to slog to the next one, or possibly waste a turn waiting to re-embark the battlewagon. If the enemy is constantly moving back and firing, this can be very painful.

Overall, I prefer the bikes, for their ability to jump from combat to combat and highly effective dakkaguns. Of course, it's also more risky, as they won't have the survivability of meganobz in a battlewagon, especially if the battlewagon stays out of line of sight, after deploying its passengers.

It all comes down to 'aggressive' versus 'defensive'. I think the nobz on bikes are going to destroy more, but are more likely to be dropped below half, or wiped out completely. The meganobz may not see more than a single close combat, but its resistance to enemy fire makes them far more likely to still be over half full at the end of the match, and wiping them out completely will prove extremely difficult.

Also, keep in mind that if you find youself facing power weapons and power fists a lot, being in mega-armor may not mean much. Against those armies, bikes moving 12in (to ensure they get the assault), and firing a full blast from dakkaguns will mean more. Of course, being on bikes makes you more vulnerable, especially to flamers. You just have to find which option suits you best, and work with it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I agree with thegodofnothing. The second list, with two powerfists, three big choppas, one doc, waagggh banner, and cybork bodies, will serve you well.

The only question is how to get them to the battle. There are essentially two sides to the argument: Bike vs. Battlewagon.

Both are expensive, and both have their ups and downs, but in any case, don't just slog it on foot. Nobz are too tempting a target to just leave alone.

Bikes are VERY fast, and you don't have to worry about constantly enbarking and disembarking. Also, they improve their toughness and save.

Mega armor and battlewagons are more resistant to enemy fire, but if the wagon is stopped, they're going to have to slog the rest of the way, which can be VERY annoying or even impossible if they're slowed down by mega armor.

Another problem is that after they win the first combat, they'll have to slog to the next one, or possibly waste a turn waiting to re-embark the battlewagon. If the enemy is constantly moving back and firing, this can be very painful.

Overall, I prefer the bikes, for their ability to jump from combat to combat and highly effective dakkaguns. Of course, it's also more risky, as they won't have the survivability of meganobz in a battlewagon, especially if the battlewagon stays out of line of sight, after deploying its passengers.

It all comes down to 'aggressive' versus 'defensive'. I think the nobz on bikes are going to destroy more, but are more likely to be dropped below half, or wiped out completely. The meganobz may not see more than a single close combat, but its resistance to enemy fire makes them far more likely to still be over half full at the end of the match, and wiping them out completely will prove extremely difficult.

Also, keep in mind that if you find youself facing power weapons and power fists a lot, being in mega-armor may not mean much. Against those armies, bikes moving 12in (to ensure they get the assault), and firing a full blast from dakkaguns will mean more. Of course, being on bikes makes you more vulnerable, especially to flamers. You just have to find which option suits you best, and work with it.

Good luck!
mynameisgrax brings up a good point that I didn't cover: bikes/mega armour. I've tried the bikes route with a small unit of 5 with a dok and cybork. It worked fairly well with the whole cover save from the smoke and they wrecked shop on units that weren't expecting their speed. Though I have to say once the enemy realized their power they went down crazy fast.

As for Mega Armoured Nobz: I haven't used them and even though 2 wound having Terminators is great I'm slightly opposed to the fact that they're slow and slightly beardy in my opinion.

My favored method of transport would have to be the Battlewagon. It's front armour is the highest a vehicle can get and there are a whole lot of options to give them (I usually run with deff rolla, armoured plates, zzap gun [to stun those pesky enemy vehicles], wrecking ball [once again for the vehicles] and a grabbin' klaw [yup you guessed it: for the vehicles]. I'll run my nobz out at a leisurely pace of 6" a turn and zzap stuff if they have a lot of vehicles and 12" if they aren't. I'll occasionally opt to give them red paint for that extra little boost of speed. The good thing about a battlewagon is that after dropping the nobz off it can run around and wreck stuff with the wrecking ball and deff rolla.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Better 1 or...

There's certainly nothing wrong with the battlewagon/nobz combo, it's just very expensive, point-wise, if you give the battlewagon all the extra trimmings. It can easily cost 160-180 points or more for the wagon, and the nobz may run 240-260 points, depending on how you equip them. All said and done, this places 400-440 points in a single unit, and if your opponent is decked out with lascannons, that can end badly. That's a case where the meganobz shine, because even if the wagon is wrecked, they'll most likely come out of it unscathed. They may be 24in away from where they wanted to be, but they'll be alive.

Personally, I'd probably run the nobz on bikes, and fill the battlewagon with tankbustas instead. That way, the nobz can go for CC, while the battlewagon specializes in anti-armor instead, and you won't be putting all your eggs in one basket.

·
569 Posts
I've opted for a group of 8 Nobs in a Trukk. Currently I prefer the Trukk over the Battlewagon becasue if the Trukk blows they are not auto entangled not take wounds on 4+ w/ re-rolls. Instead, at worst, they take wounds on 5+ with no re-rolls and take a pinning test, which can be re-rolled with the boss pole. With the rumored 5th ed rules, I may switch over to the BW if I have the points.

Also, I go with the Painboy and Cyborks on all with no Eavy Armour. Really, you can save 40-50 points by not getting both and its not huge of a hindrance. You get a 5+ save with FNP instead of a 4+ w/ FNP. Not worth it for an extra 40-50 points (pending on mob size) IMO.

Also, I run with 2 PKs and the rest with a normal choppa, no Big Choppas. Doing the math, the Big Choppas do not grant much of an advantage. In fact, on the charge against MEQs a Nob with a Big Choppa and a Nob with a normal Choppa will have the same exact chance of killing a guy. This is because you are looking at 4 S7 attacks w/ the BC vs 5 S5 attacks w/ the normal choppa. Its only after the charge that an advantage is had with the BC and even then it is very small. BCs are good against MCs, Vehciles and Walkers, but if you already have 2 PKs (S9 on the charge) then the BCs really are not needed IMO.

As for thew WB, I generally run him on a Bike, thus he is mainly support for other units like Trukk Boyz, Stormboyz and normal Bikers. If I run a WB on foot, then he will more than likely attach to a Ard Boy unit over the Nobz as the Nobz don't need the help :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
There's certainly nothing wrong with the battlewagon/nobz combo, it's just very expensive, point-wise, if you give the battlewagon all the extra trimmings. It can easily cost 160-180 points or more for the wagon, and the nobz may run 240-260 points, depending on how you equip them. All said and done, this places 400-440 points in a single unit, and if your opponent is decked out with lascannons, that can end badly. That's a case where the meganobz shine, because even if the wagon is wrecked, they'll most likely come out of it unscathed. They may be 24in away from where they wanted to be, but they'll be alive.

Personally, I'd probably run the nobz on bikes, and fill the battlewagon with tankbustas instead. That way, the nobz can go for CC, while the battlewagon specializes in anti-armor instead, and you won't be putting all your eggs in one basket.
Assuming the enemy is using las cannons though there's no difference between a mega armoured Nob vs one w/'eavy or no armour. It'll just come down to the 5+ inv. That and if you think just footslogging the Nobz is bad try the Meganobz. I realize it doesn't happen much but you might only move 1" a turn: rough.

Also, I run with 2 PKs and the rest with a normal choppa, no Big Choppas. Doing the math, the Big Choppas do not grant much of an advantage. In fact, on the charge against MEQs a Nob with a Big Choppa and a Nob with a normal Choppa will have the same exact chance of killing a guy. This is because you are looking at 4 S7 attacks w/ the BC vs 5 S5 attacks w/ the normal choppa. Its only after the charge that an advantage is had with the BC and even then it is very small. BCs are good against MCs, Vehciles and Walkers, but if you already have 2 PKs (S9 on the charge) then the BCs really are not needed IMO.
You're right about the nobz not needing help from the WB. I generally just run him with them for fluff reasons but I don't think the BC are useless. Yes on the charge the difference is little but to wound against marine equivalent units on the charge: Choppas= 3+, Big Choppas=2+. Afterwards = Choppas= 4+, Big Choppas=2+. I don't think wounding on 2+ is insignificant and I think the advantage that Str 6/7 has against vehicles that show up in your way to the other side shouldn't be discounted. The benifit I see with your Nobz is that you could afford to take many units of them. Last night though I ran my above 2 PK, 3 BC + the rest list and only 2 died (1 to Death or Glory and one to shooting) and they killed 10 Tactical Marines, 5 Assault Marines with Jump Packs a chaplain, 2 Rhinos and a Predator.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Nice

Assuming the enemy is using las cannons though there's no difference between a mega armoured Nob vs one w/'eavy or no armour. It'll just come down to the 5+ inv. That and if you think just footslogging the Nobz is bad try the Meganobz. I realize it doesn't happen much but you might only move 1" a turn: rough.

You're right about the nobz not needing help from the WB. I generally just run him with them for fluff reasons but I don't think the BC are useless. Yes on the charge the difference is little but to wound against marine equivalent units on the charge: Choppas= 3+, Big Choppas=2+. Afterwards = Choppas= 4+, Big Choppas=2+. I don't think wounding on 2+ is insignificant and I think the advantage that Str 6/7 has against vehicles that show up in your way to the other side shouldn't be discounted. The benifit I see with your Nobz is that you could afford to take many units of them. Last night though I ran my above 2 PK, 3 BC + the rest list and only 2 died (1 to Death or Glory and one to shooting) and they killed 10 Tactical Marines, 5 Assault Marines with Jump Packs a chaplain, 2 Rhinos and a Predator.
Sounds good. Did you run the nobz on bikes, in mega-armor, in a transport, or on foot?

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Choices

I ran them in a Battlewagon and for about 3 turns they were on foot.
The issue I have with nobz on foot, or in a transport, is that you have to compare them to an equal number of boyz, with pk nobs, in trukks.

For about the cost of 8 nobz with 2 powerklaws, bosspole, waugghhh banner, and cybork on each (not counting the transport, or a painboy, if you included one), you can field two units of trukk boyz, each with a nob and powerklaw.

Assuming you sent both trukks to assault both sides of the same unit, and compare that to the nobz assaulting an identical unit, it boils down to 22 slugga boyz versus 6 nobz.

If the target were a team of MEQs, the enemy would most likely get 8-10 attacks (roughly) before you struck. This would cause 4-5 hits, and about 2 wounds, most likely killing 2 slugga boyz, or 1 nob. If there was a painboy included, the nobz would take no casualty at this point.

Assuming you could get either at least 10 of the remaining slugga boyz or all 5 of the remaining nobz into close combat (not counting the nobz with the powerklaws from either side), the slugga boyz would have 40 attacks= 20 hits= 10 wounds=3.33 MEQs dead. The nobz would have 25 attacks= 16 hits= 8 wounds= 2.64 MEQs dead. If they spent the extra points on a painboy, they'd match the 3.33 MEQ kills, but of course, the unit would cost that much more.

Not only have you put your eggs all into one basket, but the nobz failed to get as many kills as the trukk boyz, and that's assuming only 10 of the remaining 20 could squeeze into close combat. Striking both sides of the enemy at once, you could probably get 15 in, which would give you 5 Meq kills in total, far more than the nobz.

That is, unless there's something I've overlooked, or a math error I've made? I had a very long weekend, and it's definitely possible. :rofl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts