Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the new errata came out on April 13th for chaos marines (about a week after i finished my army) and it has changed my thoughts on certain things in my list. So its a noise marine centered / slaanesh list, more fun then offensive, though as it stands 4 out of the 5 games i have played i won (Won against Necrons, Chaos, Orcs, Marines and lost to nids).

So here is how the list stands

Chaos Lord, MoS, Power Fist, Lightning Claw, Sigil of Corruption, Burning Brand of Skalathrax 175

Chaos Sorcerer, MoS, Mastery level 2, Aura of Dark Glory, melta Bomb 120

20 Chaos Space Marines, MoS, 2 Melta Guns, Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol, Icon of Excess 390

10 Noise Marines, 8 Sonic Blasters, Blast Master, Power Weapon, Doom Siren 264

10 Noise Marines, 8 Sonic Blasters, Blast Master, Doom Siren, Melta Bomb 254

10 havoc Marines, 2 Missile Launchers, Flakk Missiles, 2 Lascannons 250

2 Obliterators, Mos 142

Aegis Defense Line, Quad Gun 100

Herald of Slaanesh, Mastery Level 1, 3 Lesser Rewards, Lesser Locus 110

20 Demonnets, Allures, Lesser Reward 195

Overall i like the list, i like how it plays, though now with the new errata Blast Masters have changed regarding how many a squad can take, now units of less then 10 can take 1 and units of 10 or more can take up to 2. I feel only having 1 in a squad is now limiting them, seeing as the main reason i max out there weapons is for the Sorcerers Synphony of pain (noise weapons targeting the unit with the malediction get +1S so blast masters become S9)..... well the short of it is, do i take out the obliterators for 2 more blast masters and 82 points to spend on..... somthing?

Help me please, as i said, the list works so far, but would you think its best to maximize them or leave them as they are

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
That change was made in the last FAQ, we have been able to do this for a couple months I think.

What I did when the last one came out was instead of doing units of 10 with 2 blastmasters, I went to units of 6 (for favored number fluffyness) with one. I have found it nicer because I can have just as many guns, but spread out into more squads which gives better options when shooting

I know how ya feel though, built my entire army based off of units of 10 with one blastmaster then the FAQ happened and I needed to reorganize. Kinda annoying, but overall I am very pleased. Plus, for those wanting 10 man units they didn't lose anything, so it's a winwinq

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm using something similar, but with following changes:
2 Blastmasters for 10 man squads, IoE, naked champion who stands in front to die first. 5+ FNP works good for them.
Lord in Terminator armour, with Skalathrax. You pay the same points for Sigil and PW, but 2+ makes Sigil way less useful, as there are very few AP2 weapons. Oh and by the way, you cannot take PF+LC+Skalathrax, you have to replace one weapon with it, and Lord has only 2 weapons.
And now I'm adding Contemptor Dreadnought with Heavy Conversion Beamer, to have extreme range fire support, destroy everything that's out of reach of my Blastmasters.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
It will work just a well at the very least, as there is virtually not "negative" to the change. Wubwubz are a good choice though, either 5 man units with just a single gun or 10 man units with two and an icon. They can get things done.

·
Shrubs for the Blood God
1,144 Posts
Chaos Lord, MoS, Power Fist, Lightning Claw, Sigil of Corruption, Burning Brand of Skalathrax 175
As others have pointed out, you can't have all three of those weapons. Personally I would go for L. Claw, Brand, Meltabomb, Bike

Chaos Sorcerer, MoS, Mastery level 2, Aura of Dark Glory, melta Bomb 120

20 Chaos Space Marines, MoS, 2 Melta Guns, Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol, Icon of Excess 390
I imagine this unit is tough to kill but they really represent a huge point sink. I would swap them for Bikers and give your Lord a bike to lead them. Bikers are cheap, tough, and they make a better melta/shooting/melee delivery unit than slogging CSM. For the points spent here you could get two units of Bikes and have both your characters mounted.

10 Noise Marines, 8 Sonic Blasters, Blast Master, Power Weapon, Doom Siren 264

10 Noise Marines, 8 Sonic Blasters, Blast Master, Doom Siren, Melta Bomb 254
Break at least one of these squads up into two 5 man units with a blastmaster. More units = more targets you can split your fire between. Personally I'd drop the Sonic Blasters as they are too expensive for what they do and don't pair well with blastmasters but I can see what your are doing with the whole sorc + strength sonic thing.

One thing to consider is that Doom Sirens and Blastmasters/Sonic Blasters pair poorly. Doom Sirens are assault weapons and the others are most effective when stationary. That means outside of a very few particular scenarios you are getting good use out of one or the other, not both. Same with the power sword. Assault weapons don't belong in a unit you are dropping almost 90pts into to make a heavy shooting power house.

Personally I'd re-organize the whole group into:

5 NM: blastmaster, x3 sonic blasters
8-10 NM: doom siren, power weapon, meltabomb, extra ccw's

This gives you greater target selection, more scoring units, and a dedicated assault/counter assault unit which are all can use their points more efficiently than your current setup.

10 havoc Marines, 2 Missile Launchers, Flakk Missiles, 2 Lascannons 250
That's a lot of points spent on ablative wounds for you heavy guns. I think you could safely trim out 2 or 3 and still have some buffer for the unit. It's better to spend points on things that will kill rather than spending points on things whose only job is to die.

2 Obliterators, Mos 142
Drop the MoS stat! Total waste of points on units whose only CC weapon is a power fist. At the very least run them unmarked. At the very best give them MoN. Don't drop these guys, they are your primary source of Ap 1-2. Without them you are wide open to Terminator based armies like GK, DA and SW.

Aegis Defense Line, Quad Gun 100

Herald of Slaanesh, Mastery Level 1, 3 Lesser Rewards, Lesser Locus 110
Drop the Mastery Level, the Heralds LD is too low to be a decent psyker. Switch your rewards to one greater and one lesser. At the minimum you can pair the +1 Str aetherblade with the regular aetherblade and get the bonus attack. If your lucky you can roll some greater rewards which make the frail herald more survivable. Lesser Locus is a bit of a waste given how fast Nettes move in the run phase (which isn't affected by terrain). Switch it for the Exalted Locus. Rerolls for the whole unit every turn and the ability to pick who you challenge is dirty dirty dirty.

Solid.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks for all the messages and feedback people.

First off you would of thought after more then 10 years in the hobby i could read, in my mind the burning brand took the same role as a doom siren, just an upgrade, what's worse is i just finished painting my lord who has got a power fist and lightning claw and the metal Emporers children Backpack...... *sigh* oh well, i will still run him but the brand is gone is all!

I know there has also been allot of, add bikes and what not and yes they were my original idea instead of demonnets, though as i said i wanted to leave this list relatively unchanged, more the composition of the units then the total annihilation of some for the replacement of others...... or in other words, i have just finished painting this whole army so every thing i have here i own and can't really afford to replace xD Plus i lover having my unit of 20 warriors and lord run up the field, they havn't disappointed me yet!

Away from that though, The demonnets and sticking the same but the herald with exalted locus douse seem a better idea.... funny i read that wrong and didn't look at you can chose who takes the challenge, then if i'm jumping in a challenge i want that greater aether blade to get the +1S

The havocs i had already dropped down in a slightly altered list i wrote already, 8 men i feel is a good number (i never play nurgle honest :p)

Ok the obliterates only had the mark because i had 2 points left and honestly thought i would rather have them there then just going to waste xD

As far as it is for the noise marines its the only real section im stumped on a bit still

I definatly want a 10 man squad with 7 Sonic Blasters and 2 blast masters. This with a naked Noise Champion, sits with my sorcerer, Ok so i had a Power Weapon and Doom Siren instead of two Blast Masters, but this unit worked SO WELL! was an amazing, im here and not moving unit, yes it would nice to give them feel no pain but that means digging out another 30 points from some ware and its really not easy to do at this point.

Next is probably going to be 2 units of 6 Noise Marines. Now this is where im a little meh still. See i like the idea of running maybe 5 blast masters and a power weapon/doom siren Noise champion, these being great distraction units who i will be happy to take a charge just to overwatch. now these rock in at 157 poitns each, now im not to fussed about actually having power weapons here, i think its only because i would like them more then feel i need them. If this is the case it could be that i take one unit with a blast master? or maybe i give my big unit feel no pain, i mean that sounds pretty good to me. Though what about dropping them to 5 men squads? just seems a little bit to fragile to me.

I also thought about giving my sorcerer the burning brand..... maybe thats me just thinking crazy but its there as an option......

Ok im gonna stop going on now and just type my modified list now, again any help is welcome but just remember i dont really want to change my units all that much, TY

Chaos Lord, Mark of Slaanesh, Lightning Claw, Power Fist, Sigil of Corruption 145

Chaos Sorcerer, mark of Slaanesh, Mastery Level 2, Aura of Dark Glory 115

20 Chaps Space Marines, Mark of Slaanesh, 2 Melta Guns, Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol, Icon of Excess 290

10 Noise Marines, 7 Sonic Blasters, 2 Blast Masters 261

6 Noise Marines, 5 Sonic Blasters, Doom Siren, Power Weapon 157

6 Noise Marines, 5 Sonic Blasters, Doom Siren, Power Weapon 157

8 Havoc Marines, Mark of Slaanesh, 2 Missile Launchers, Flaak Missiles, 2 Lascannons 220

2 Obliterators 140

Aegis Defense Line with Quadd Gun 100

Herald of Slaanesh, Greater Reward, Lesser Reward, Exalted Locus 105

and as i was typing this i see i have 15 points left.... though i am far to tired to stick it some ware right now xD 3:30am and im still going, GAH! Ta and night!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wonderful..... i can't sleep.... though on the plus side i know how i want to run my noise marines (with one exception) Its going to be the big unit of 10 with the sorcerer as a main group, then insted to two of the same 6 man squads im going to run 6 as there laid out about to be on the front line with all my combat guys and then a unit with 4 sonic blasters, naked champ and blastmaster to add a little bit more support.

The exception is that 15 points (now 18 with the removal of a sonic blaster for a blast master), which i am thinking of give the big squad either a doom siren of power weapon..... like a power axe? maybe.... i duno, axe? yeah axe sounds good!

Also this list means i don't actually need to change any of the models i have already. The only kit i have left to put together is my havocs and with the change from 10 to 8 men i have 2 guys left over, one for the remaining noise champ and blast master (both of which i have the points for), maybe this will work out pretty well, I plan to have alode of pictures updated as well at some point, so please feel free to check them out when i post them, and on that note, thank you all and good night.

Also spell check kept wanting to make Blastmaster into Toast Master xD

·
Registered
807 Posts
Axe is fine, but I usually go with sword or mace, since I don't want to waste our AMAZAH initiative. ^_^

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Personally I don't do axes for MoS guys much. I in myself wanting to keep my speed. I have one or two axes on my terminators as they have more than one, and they are more likely to hit the hard hitting units of the enemy in cc than my noise marines an such (atleast if I have anything to say about it) but on normal NM champs I would go sword or mace as having the speed over other marines can be the biggest advantage, but if I am going against terminators with them they are probably screwed anyways. Hah

·
Registered
549 Posts
I personally think you have way too many points in your HQ section. I'd drop the fist and brand. And sorcerer. That pretty much buys you a second heldrake which makes the brand look like a little kid with a lighter and a spray can.

Keep the oblits, lose their mark. Listen to everyone who said to go with more, smaller noise marine units.

I personally like the huge marine tarpit. Put your lord in there, make them fearless. That's a lot of power armor to chew through. It'll get work done.

Daemonettes are boss. But maybe lose the assault NMs and run 30-40 daemonettes. They'll be great counter-assault units with your 20 marines holding down the center.

And seconded with psyker heralds, consider a steed though, and lesser and greater rewards. 7 attacks on the charge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts